nom

Is Gable S. the greatest HS wrestling recruit ever?

If I were a college coach and only had one full ride available (and it has to go to one kid) I would not pick a HWT no matter how good he is. My choice would be 149 or 157. A middle weight can work with at least two weights up and two weights down, a bull HWT really is on an island in the practice room

Edited by FATMANROLL

IMO, there is no question he is not only the best is recruit of all time, but the best is wrestler ever in the US.

The best wrestler ever in the US? Seriously?

Mocco was perhaps the most prized recruit ever.  Internationally, he has light years to travel to surpass John Smith, Sanderson, Big Bruce, Kevin Jackson, JB and Snyder.

^^ Like Rizzo said, he's certainly in the conversation.  To win a junior world championship while in high school is quite rare.  To do it before your senior year, even more so.  And to do it at heavyweight, that's just freakish.  I mean... the kid is still 17.  He's in the Kolat, Snyder, Mocco, Pico freak club.  

The only real "blemish" on his resume is a close win against a much smaller and younger Kerkvliet this year, who's sort of a freak in his own right.  

The argument against is the title belongs to his ex teammate, Mark hall.

Gable has the same accomplishments except he's been a year and a half younger at every stage.  Both are exceptional, but the age isn't irrelevant.  Whether or not Gable does well this weekend, Hall has yet to even take a crack at seniors. 

Gable has the same accomplishments except he's been a year and a half younger at every stage.  Both are exceptional, but the age isn't irrelevant.  Whether or not Gable does well this weekend, Hall has yet to even take a crack at seniors. 

Didn't he qualify for and compete in OTT in 16?

He's definitely in the discussion. While the Cadet World Championships weren't much of a thing in the Schultz era, the added importance and promotion of the events internationally make winning them significant. The Junior World Championships is one of the toughest tournaments to win. The U.S. total medal haul at the event isn't exactly brimming with gold and the majority of those wins have come from guys outside of high school. 

From the late 90s, the Hahn/Mocco were the two best I saw from that era. Snyder's Junior World title puts him in the discussion, as does Steveson. 

Gable's credentials are hard to match, high place among the HS greats isn't due to hype, it's because the kid is that damned good. 

How'd he do there? Hall that is.

About as well as you'd expect.  No notable wins but he didn't embarrass himself either.  

- Beat Logan Massa 13-11

- Got teched by Howe 10-0

- Beat Quinton Godley 11-5

- Lost to Adam Hall 14-5

In that same tournament Pico ran through Ness, Oliver, and Humphrey.  

Rating a recruit should be about potential and what the athlete can do for a program. What the kid did at what ever age means squat. I’d rather have a 22 year old true freshman than a 17 year old.

But then there'd be miles and miles of posts on this message board about him not being a real freshman and how anything they do that first year of college wrestling should be stricken from the record books. Damned if you do ... damned if you don't. 

He's definitely in the discussion. While the Cadet World Championships weren't much of a thing in the Schultz era, the added importance and promotion of the events internationally make winning them significant. The Junior World Championships is one of the toughest tournaments to win. The U.S. total medal haul at the event isn't exactly brimming with gold and the majority of those wins have come from guys outside of high school. 

From the late 90s, the Hahn/Mocco were the two best I saw from that era. Snyder's Junior World title puts him in the discussion, as does Steveson. 

Gable's credentials are hard to match, high place among the HS greats isn't due to hype, it's because the kid is that damned good. 

lol

Jason said "era"