nom

Is Gable S. the greatest HS wrestling recruit ever?

Rating a recruit should be about potential and what the athlete can do for a program. What the kid did at what ever age means squat. I’d rather have a 22 year old true freshman than a 17 year old.

When you're recruiting you're trying to gauge potential.  If you have a 17 year old and a 22 year old with similar ability, there's no way you take the 22 year old (other things being equal).  

Rating a recruit should be about potential and what the athlete can do for a program. What the kid did at what ever age means squat. I’d rather have a 22 year old true freshman than a 17 year old.

A 17 yr old true freshman has a higher upside than a 22 yr old freshman. See Yianni for the details.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When you're recruiting you're trying to gauge potential. If you have a 17 year old and a 22 year old with similar ability, there's no way you take the 22 year old (other things being equal).

A 17 yr old true freshman has a higher upside than a 22 yr old freshman. See Yianni for the details.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'd rather have the older kid in the room. In 5 years he would be gaining old man strength

I'd rather have the older kid in the room. In 5 years he would be gaining old man strength

Idiot. You'd base who you'd rather have in your room based on what you think they might look like in 5 years? 

Not to mention the fact that a 17 year old would experience much greater strength gains vs a 22 year old. 

There is lot of stud recruits who did well internationally.

In '70s, David Schultz and Jimmy Carr were the incomparable HS studs. Nobody came close to them.

In '80s, Cary Kolat was the HS stud. Alan Fried came close with 4 Jr National FS championships. He's the only one in the history to have these 4.

There are lots of debates on '90s and '00s. So, Ill leave it.

Gable Stevenson may be the one for '10s. Logan Stieber, Spencer Lee, and Daton Fix are right up there too. We have to wait till the 2020 to look back to see who were the ones.

Idiot. You'd base who you'd rather have in your room based on what you think they might look like in 5 years? 

Not to mention the fact that a 17 year old would experience much greater strength gains vs a 22 year old.

So you call me an idiot because I would rather have a kid wrestle for me in the age range of 22-27 instead of 17-22?

I'd take my chances with the older lad. Odds are he is more mature physically and emotionally.

There is a reason that 17 year old world champs are so rare. It's the same reason there are age group world championships.

Flo talks like he is. What’s the argument for and against?

ERIC GRAJALES

Prep... Graduated from Brandon High School (2009) ... Named South Region and Florida recipient of the 2009 Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award ... Named Mr. Florida as the state's top prep wrestler ... Garnered the Tampa Tribune's 2009 Male Athlete of the Year award ... Four-time Florida state champion (2006, '07, '08, '09) and five-time state finalist ... Career prep record of 217-0 and, adding seventh- and eighth-grade results, went 292-6 over six years ... Named the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the 2009 Dapper Dan all-star event ... Two-time FILA Junior World team member (2006, '07) ... Claimed fifth place (55 kg/121 pounds) at the 2008 Greco-Roman Senior Nationals ... Four-time Fargo Greco-Roman national champion (2004, '05, '06, '08), earning outstanding-wrestler honors in 2006 ... Also named the 2006 Junior Greco Wrestler of the Year ... Two-time FILA Cadet Greco national champion (2004, '06) ... FILA Cadet freestyle champion (2004).

Pretty good stats in HS.

Edited by stp

What has Stevenson accomplished?

Where is he from?

Seen his name posted before but none seem able to document any accomplishments on the mat. ;_;

Our own Failing StarTribune got the name wrong recently.

http://m.startribune.com/gable-stevenson-amazes-even-his-wrestling-coach-with-his-skills/463532513/

Even worse, a couple weeks ago the Pioneer Press printed the wrong name for 16 yr old shooting champ Dakota Overland. Instead they printed 50 Shades of Grey actress Dakota Johnson.

Heavyweight is not nearly as competitive as the middleweights. Guys that size who participate is sports, play college football. He may be the best heavyweight recruit of all time, but not the best overall recruit of all time.

Heavyweight is not nearly as competitive as the middleweights. Guys that size who participate is sports, play college football. He may be the best heavyweight recruit of all time, but not the best overall recruit of all time.

Guys that are the middleweights size who participate in sports play soccer.

4th at the US open while still in HS is pretty damn good, but it's not unprecedented.   Cejudo won it.  Pico was in the Olympic trials final although I'm not sure if he had completed school by that point.    

Then there's guys like Dave Schultz (as a senior, 2nd Tblisi, pinned Yagla 2 time NCAA champ at Greater Plains)  just on another level altogether.  

Mocco is the best heavy I've seen in high school.    Stevenson is making me question that.    I am very impressed with his age group results and also with 4th at US open.    He's clearly way ahead of the game at this point.    There's been better recruits though.     

4th at the US open while still in HS is pretty damn good, but it's not unprecedented.   Cejudo won it.  Pico was in the Olympic trials final although I'm not sure if he had completed school by that point.    

Then there's guys like Dave Schultz (as a senior, 2nd Tblisi, pinned Yagla 2 time NCAA champ at Greater Plains)  just on another level altogether.  

Mocco is the best heavy I've seen in high school.    Stevenson is making me question that.    I am very impressed with his age group results and also with 4th at US open.    He's clearly way ahead of the game at this point.    There's been better recruits though.     

We agree....Kinda like North and South Korea.  :)  Great showing by Gable.  When he hit that single on Coon, amazing.  Then he realized it was like uprooting a sequoia. Well done!