nom

Is Gable S. the greatest HS wrestling recruit ever?

I had him pegged at like 5 foot 10 and 240.  If he's six foot 250 with that athleticism then it isn't a big of a deal as I posted.  That puts him pretty close to Gwiz size, which I wouldn't have guessed after seeing him last weekend. 

I'm likely focusing too much on height when I see his "size" then....

Edited by Gantry

At least one pub has him 6' and 250:

With good reason. Steveson, a senior, is ranked the No. 1 high school wrestler in the nation by InterMat and other similar websites. A heavyweight with an unmatched blend of strength and speed, balance and bravado. He'd be devastating as a defensive end, for example. He stands just 6-feet tall and weighs upward of 250 pounds, but dunks a basketball with ease. He skated with the Apple Valley hockey team earlier this season ("I've skated before but that was the first time I've played hockey," he said) and held his own.

http://www.startribune.com/gable-stevenson-amazes-even-his-wrestling-coach-with-his-skills/463532513/

I had him pegged at like 5 foot 10 and 240.  If he's six foot 250 with that athleticism then it isn't a big of a deal as I posted.  That puts him pretty close to Gwiz size, which I wouldn't have guessed after seeing him last weekend. 

I'm likely focusing too much on height when I see his "size" then....

Right, it's just that Coon is 6'5" and every bit of 275. 

As a point against him... all of the best 125kg's in the world right now are huge.  Akgul: 6'4" and a built 275.  Petriashvili: 6'6" and definitely cuts down to 275.  Makhov; 6'5" and an absolute goliath of a man.  You have to go back to Gatsalov in '13 to find a world champ heavyweight at 6' or below... but that's Gatsalov.  

Right, it's just that Coon is 6'5" and every bit of 275. 

As a point against him... all of the best 125kg's in the world right now are huge.  Akgul: 6'4" and a built 275.  Petriashvili: 6'6" and definitely cuts down to 275.  Makhov; 6'5" and an absolute goliath of a man.  You have to go back to Gatsalov in '13 to find a world champ heavyweight at 6' or below... but that's Gatsalov.  

Ah, great points. I guess we have to hope Gable is able to approach how good Snyder is, then he has a shot. After all, Snyder is significantly smaller than Gable (isn't he?) and Snyder figured Coon out. 

And according to USA wrestling Nick Gwizdowski stands 6'1" and I think that he weighs about 275.

My track record on guessing HWT size ain't very good (hello, this thread) but I doubt Gwiz is near 275.  Closer to 260 is my guess...

My track record on guessing HWT size ain't very good (hello, this thread) but I doubt Gwiz is near 275. Closer to 260 is my guess...

Gwiz was 256 for the final with Snyder. So probably not much more than 260 now. You don’t really see heavies add much size once they are out of college like Gwiz is. Gable is going to add some size once he gets in the college weight room, so he’ll probably end up in the 255 range.