spladle08

US OPEN-freestyle discussion

thats all?  I thought it would be two compound leg fractures this time.

Luckily not. He has been injury prone. Did not see anything in the post interview so the talk of a thumb injury may be nonsense also. 

Anyway Dake is 4-0 against Dieringer, so he is certain to lose next time like he always was destined to lose to Taylor. 

After typing that. Are we destined for 0 chance at 61kg I love Colon and think he would win it even if Maple competed but man, I don't think we have a competitor domestically I would expect bronze out of even if we got byes to the semis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Agreed. Hope one of our young guys jumps levels in the next couple of years.

Isn't Ringer already closer to Dake than Taylor ever was ?

Taylor had a couple of close matches with Dake. Dieringer is a contender and may be good enough, but it is not like he is going to get materially better than he is now. 

My biggest peeve with this recent "Dake Fans dissing on Ringer" is... they refuse to accept Ringer has gotten closer literally every-time.
They keep saying Dake is 4-0 against him, Ringer has no chance to win. 
Instead of: Dake is 4-0 against him and their last 2 matches went 2-1 and 5-5 ,Dake has come out on top so far but there is little room for error. 
You can be a fan of somebody and give credit to others at the same time.  

Ringer has gotten better while Dake has improved only marginally in the past year. I still like Dake to win two straight. Whenever he needed to score, he did so almost immediately. He controlled that match and I truly feel he did himself a disservice by giving Ringer so much respect. Every time he has taken a legitimate shot against Ringer, he has scored. If he opened up, the match would not end closely. Alas, I get that’s how Dake likes to wrestle against elite competition and it’s hard for me to criticize his strategy given how successful he has been. Nevertheless, I feel strongly about my position on the matter.

Ringer would be a US rep in almost any other era. He is that good. But I don’t see him catching JB or Dake. He is stuck behind two serious hammers.

Ringer has gotten better while Dake has improved only marginally in the past year. I still like Dake to win two straight. Whenever he needed to score, he did so almost immediately. He controlled that match and I truly feel he did himself a disservice by giving Ringer so much respect. Every time he has taken a legitimate shot against Ringer, he has scored. If he opened up, the match would not end closely. Alas, I get that’s how Dake likes to wrestle against elite competition and it’s hard for me to criticize his strategy given how successful he has been. Nevertheless, I feel strongly about my position on the matter.

Ringer would be a US rep in almost any other era. He is that good. But I don’t see him catching JB or Dake. He is stuck behind two serious hammers.

I can't argue with any facts or reasoning. You're 100% sound in what you're saying. 

It's just sooo close, I got that gut feeling Ringer pulls out the best of 3 and we have some "Is Dake the best wrestler to never make a team" threads ;) 

My biggest peeve with this recent "Dake Fans dissing on Ringer" is... they refuse to accept Ringer has gotten closer literally every-time.

They keep saying Dake is 4-0 against him, Ringer has no chance to win. 

Instead of: Dake is 4-0 against him and their last 2 matches went 2-1 and 5-5 ,Dake has come out on top so far but there is little room for error. 

You can be a fan of somebody and give credit to others at the same time.  

The last two times Taylor and Dake wrestled were close affairs.

No one is dissing Dieringer and I clearly did not say he had no chance. But the idea that Dake will lose the next time out is a well established tradition of him losing every fantasy matchup you guys can think up. And it is not like Dieringer is fresh out of college. His red shirt senior season was 2015/16. He is one of the best in the world at this weight according to the rankings. But he remains 0-4 against Dake, and I do not see him winning the best of 3, especially in that the learning curve works both ways. 

The last two times Taylor and Dake wrestled were close affairs.

No one is dissing Dieringer and I clearly did not say he had no chance. But the idea that Dake will lose the next time out is a well established tradition of him losing every fantasy matchup you guys can think up. And it is not like Dieringer is fresh out of college. His red shirt senior season was 2015/16. He is one of the best in the world at this weight according to the rankings. But he remains 0-4 against Dake, and I do not see him winning the best of 3, especially in that the learning curve works both ways. 

Wasn't specifically citing you, just all the Dake super fans. If the curve works both ways.... from 10-0 to a 5-5 Criteria win, I think they may be enrolled in different classes. 

I too think Dake is and should be the favorite...again my peeve is, some people have chimed in "Alex has really closed the gap" throughout this thread and the others, and super-fans quickly respond, "Yeah he has closed it enough to still lose, thats progress", people acting as if its pure domination when its roughly a coinflip at this point in their careers. 

We will see how it shakes out. 

#Cheers

Taylor had a couple of close matches with Dake. Dieringer is a contender and may be good enough, but it is not like he is going to get materially better than he is now. 

I think he has gotten alot better over the last couple years.  They both got to each others legs...Still advantage to Dake, but not much.   If either one wants an olympic gold, they will have to go up anyways.  

I think he has gotten alot better over the last couple years.  They both got to each others legs...Still advantage to Dake, but not much.   If either one wants an olympic gold, they will have to go up anyways.  

Are the Olympic weights the same as last cycle? Will be some interesting log-jams

From everything that I've read out of UWW, the Olympic weights are unchanged.

Thanks man, and I figured as much. Cant see Dake, or Ringer being competitive up with "Taylor & others" who have the frame for the weight. 

Doubt Cox will challenge Snyder.... 

Lots of talent will be on the sidelines, but between injuries, progression, and regression, I'm sure the landscape will look fairly different 2 years from now. 

Thanks man, and I figured as much. Cant see Dake, or Ringer being competitive up with "Taylor & others" who have the frame for the weight. 

Lots of talent will be on the sidelines, but between injuries, progression, and regression, I'm sure the landscape will look fairly different 2 years from now. 

The word out of Cox's camp this weekend is that he'll be back at 86kg in 2020.  Of course we're still 2 full years away, so his plans could obviously change.  

Cant see Dake, or Ringer being competitive up with "Taylor & others" who have the frame for the weight. 

I'm not sure his abilities extend to medaling against world-level 86kg competition, but he proved very clearly at the OTTs that he can beat anybody we have to offer domestically, with their folkstyle-biased arsenal, no matter the size. If Dake wrestles well this season and next at 79 before moving up for the Olympic year, are people seriously going to pick Taylor over him yet again??

On the Flo broadcast CP and Bader gave conflicting "inside source" information on what 2020 weight Cox will go. Bader said 86 and CP said 97. After 2017 Paris, Cox said he was having a hard time with 86 night before weigh ins, so I doubt he'll try to make 86 day of. 

Eirmann frustrated with the officiating it seems. Can't say I blame him 100%, the same position got called somewhat different each time which has to be frustrating as a competitor.

It seemed like every "is this 1 or is this 2" situation went against Eirmann. They were all pretty similar but McKenna got the calls that he needed. Not sure if that's bias from the officiating crew, or if that's just the way the cookie crumbles. 

I'm not sure his abilities extend to medaling against world-level 86kg competition, but he proved very clearly at the OTTs that he can beat anybody we have to offer domestically, with their folkstyle-biased arsenal, no matter the size. If Dake wrestles well this season and next at 79 before moving up for the Olympic year, are people seriously going to pick Taylor over him yet again??

Do we know that Dake plans on trying 86kg again? Day of weigh-ins will make it easier on him, but I assume he'll drop back down and try to take out 32 year old Burroughs- who he has already beaten. 

On the Flo broadcast CP and Bader gave conflicting "inside source" information on what 2020 weight Cox will go. Bader said 86 and CP said 97. After 2017 Paris, Cox said he was having a hard time with 86 night before weigh ins, so I doubt he'll try to make 86 day of. 

Bader is tied into the Mizzou program and the Cox/Eierman camp... I would tend to trust what he's hearing there.  

Do we know that Dake plans on trying 86kg again? Day of weigh-ins will make it easier on him, but I assume he'll drop back down and try to take out 32 year old Burroughs- who he has already beaten.

Seems likely. ..I was just responding to the notion that he couldn't compete with large domestic 86's.

If his rationale leans towards taking a spot from a guy he's beaten, then he's taking it from Taylor. Dake also has a single win over Cox, for that matter.

I don't think that will be his rationale. He's a champ, so like most great champs I don't think he worries about losing to anyone. I think he'll go where he thinks he'll be most dominant. He gave 86 a go in 2016, then came back down. I take that as evidence that he didn't think he was dominant enough at 86. 

Especially with this Final X series developed to appease Dake. Should be a shoe in @ 74.

Especially with this Final X series developed to appease Dake. Should be a shoe in @ 74.

Dake did his share of complaining about the best-of-three format at the end of a day-long challenge tournament, but it's not like he was alone in criticizing it. The best argument for keeping it that way was to mirror single-day World Championship events. After UWW changed that it made sense to re-evaluate our qualification process.