Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Does Mark Hall have a path?

Seems so, but he's still a little young for seniors, without a remote shot at winning I'm sure he is just taking the time to focus on him and get his body/mind right and improve technically 

Umm, didn't I just read he's wrestling at the Pan Am Championships next week in Peru - SENIOR LEVEL?  

Umm, didn't I just read he's wrestling at the Pan Am Championships next week in Peru - SENIOR LEVEL?  

One event against meh competition, with an attainable title, seems more navigable than going out there and getting beat down by Dake/Ringer for nothing. I mean he could probably compete with Zahid for the #3 spot which is a part of the "team" right... but why?? He's got 2 more college seasons left before he needs to be solid enough to unseed the "Men", but for now, travel to Pan-Ams, enjoy your summer and get ready for next year 

FWIW, I answered my own question. No. Here are the rules:

1. 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Team Member

2. November 2017 Dave Schultz Memorial International - the highest placed Men’s Freestyle

USA athlete per weight category winning a medal who has yet to qualify will earn a spot

in the 2018 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament

3. March 2018 Bill Farrell Memorial International - the highest placed Men’s Freestyle USA

athlete per weight category winning a medal who has yet to qualify will earn a spot in the

2018 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament

4. 2018 NCAA Division I Champions

5. 2018 Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships - top 7 place finishes per weight

class

1. Winners of the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships at the

weight being contested will receive either an automatic berth to the World Team

Trials Challenge Tournament Wrestle-Off or the Final X. Automatic berths only

apply to athletes who have qualified for the berth at the weight being contested.

1. If there is no 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championship medalist

at the weight being contested, the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S.

Open Champion will advance directly to the Final X.

2. If there is a 2017 Senior Men’s Freestyle World Championship medalist

at the weight being contested, the 2018 U.S. Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S.

Open Champion will advance to the World Team Trials Challenge

Tournament Wrestle-Off.

I doubt Ringer will beat him and matches with Dake will go about the same as Dake and Ringer went.

Doesn't the Jr gold give him a WTT spot?

I would love to see Hall against Ringer and Dake in freestyle, assume it wouldn't even be competitive in folkstyle.  Why do you doubt Ringer beats him?  Alex has some pretty solid international wins and currently ranks 4th in the world (which obviously means less than actually medalling at Worlds).  Hall has dominated Jr Worlds which depending on the weight/year ranks as one of the toughest tournaments in the world, but I'm not aware of a senior level medal threat that he has beaten yet.  I think Ringer beats him comfortably at this point but Hall has insane freestyle acumen so it could be more competitive than my intuition.  And it could get ugly against Dake.  Valencia is more intriguing to me against both of them, though I'd expect him to lose, because of his length/size with both of those frontrunners moving up in weight.

He's been on the Hall over anyone including Dake in 2018 bandwagon for some time now. God knows why. There is zero evidence that he could keep it respectable with either Ringer or Dake, both quite literally senior-level world class at this point.

There is zero evidence that he could keep it respectable with either Ringer or Dake, both quite literally senior-level world class at this point.

100% spot-on.

I know not everything is equal in wrestling and it's hard to take on result and apply it to another matchup..... "you still gotta wrestle" and all those cliche sayings come in. 

But Steveson and Fix should have given everyone some perspective this weekend. 

Both dominant Junior World Champions. Both losing to Senior's who will not medal and will likely not compete for the US in 2018. 

We have a weight with a clear cut 2 World medal threats and to think Hall has a solid chance to make the team is just insane. 

Anyways, I know fans don't always see facts, and Hall will be a solid senior at some point probably but for now.... just get better and try to win 1 more NCAA title before you graduate. 

Side note, I wish WTT was this weekend. 

I doubt Ringer will beat him and matches with Dake will go about the same as Dake and Ringer went.

Pinch yourself. You are dreaming again.

I am with the others on this... he is not on the same level as Dake and Ringer right now. I don't think it's even close

He's been on the Hall over anyone including Dake in 2018 bandwagon for some time now. God knows why. There is zero evidence that he could keep it respectable with either Ringer or Dake, both quite literally senior-level world class at this point.

Really?  Zero evidence?  I saw Hall beat Suleymanov from Aze in a close match in the semis of junior worlds.  The same Suleymanov who was beating Burroughs late at the world cup before he totally gassed at the end.  He's also a multiple time age level world champ.  Believe me Dieringer and Dake are both happy he isn't wrestling.

Really?  Zero evidence?  I saw Hall beat Suleymanov from Aze in a close match in the semis of junior worlds.  The same Suleymanov who was beating Burroughs late at the world cup before he totally gassed at the end.  He's also a multiple time age level world champ.  Believe me Dieringer and Dake are both happy he isn't wrestling.

Hall beat a Jr level athlete who later went on to lose to a Senior level world champ. You know, I  totally should have placed at state because I beat the guy who got 8th when we were in junior high. 

EDIT: phrasing. 

Edited by GranbyTroll

Hall beat a Jr level athlete who later went on to lose to a Senior level world champ. You know, I  totally should have placed at state because I beat the guy who got 8th when we were in junior high. 

This is pretty great.  :) 

I mean we have a few senior level results from Hall right (despite them being a year or so ago) just no evidence he is with the top level USA MEN... its amazing yall remain this delusional after both Fix and Gable showed there is a solid gap between Junior medalist and Adult Medalist. 

Yes Fix was close to Ramos but Ramos aint winning any medals

Yes Gable was close with Dom, but again, Dom or Coon aren't winning a medal. 

Hall would have been close with guys like Evans and Asper, and I could see him placing top 4 as well, but both Dake and Dieringer went  10-0, 10-0, 11-0 because they are 100% on a different level than domestic competition 

Hall beat a Jr level athlete who later went on to lose to a Senior level world champ. You know, I totally should have placed at state because I beat the guy who got 8th when we were in junior high.

It was one year later. It tells me Hall could certainly keep it “respectable” with Dieringer.

A few more meaningless ;-) results for comparing Hall and Senior level wrestlers

~9 months ago at Jr Worlds, Mark Hall over Radik Valiev (Dec 6-2)

~3 months ago at Yarygin, Radik Valiev took Bronze at the same weight at which Dake took silver. Also at Yarygin: Gadzhimagomedov over Dake 8-2; Gadzhimagomedov over Valiev 2-1