Sign in to follow this  
superbowlhomeboy

Desanto to Iowa

I think this is a disaster waiting to happen.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around mentally, but I am not optimistic given the new environment.   

Desanto is someone I hope does well.   Him and Downey, they were both poised to become much more interesting under Brands, but we only get Desanto.   I absolutely will settle for that.   Brands is getting the type of guy he's told us he  wants.   Lets see how things pan out.    

Oh man, this is going to be fun next year, now that we have people pretending that Desanto is actually secretly bad at wrestling, and also the Brands brothers are bad at coaching.  It's like I'm in a time machine!

So much nostalgia.  I'm very excited.  Hating Iowa/Brands this year just didn't feel right.

I admit I find myself pulling for iowa somewhat these days and the desanto move makes it tougher. I do not think it's possible to hate Lee or kemdawg millionaire but desanto and sometimes marinelli can act kind of punk-ish (though I admittedly do like marinelli all the same). Also I dont think anyone has suggested desanto is a bad wrestler, only a bad apple from a behavior standpoint.

I am guessing that T&T have already begun trying to find out how to best approach a kid/wrestler with the issues they apparently  have taken on.

Having raised a child with similar issues (before anyone ever heard the term autism) it was difficult beyond words. In today's world much has been learned and how things are approached is so very important.

I hope for the young mans sake a way forward is found and he has GREAT success.

The question is not "can the Brands coach". That's been answered with national champions, USA team members, etc. The question is "will Desanto be coachable?" DeSanto may prove (too?) high maintenance for coaches and teammates. If Desanto AAs, Brands gets my coach of the year award ...... Brands may win it regardless if the team he is putting together peaks at NC tournament.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

If Desanto AAs, Brands gets my coach of the year award ...... 

Why?  I'm no DeSanto fan, but the kid was a late stall call away from AA last year.  Up by two... and gave up a stall & RT in the final 5-10 seconds.

Edited by lu_alum

Wow. Huge pickup for the Hawks! Could see him going anywhere from not finishing the season to National Champ! Predictions?

I certainly can't see DeSanto being National Champ next season with Gross, Micic, Pletcher, Wilson, MUELLER, Brock, and others.  You will likely see some run from 125 and go 133--I would think Suriano.  Freshmen like Vito Arauju (sp) or RBY will be tough .  Both are has highly as regarded as Desanto was going into their Freshman year. He is good, I love his aggressiveness, but he has holes...and perhaps other issues.  I really don't want to hear about "the lightweight room" because "the  lightweight room" last season didn't work wonders at 133 and 141.  125 was pretty much a given with Spencer's track record; the only real concern was health.  Heck, watching Terry warm up against Spencer I am not even sure how much Terry even competitively wrestles with the kids.  McDonough is gone, and Gilman doesn't seem like the sharing type.  Spencer may whoop up on Desanto which could affect him.  All said, I would predict lower AA but not close to NC.  This said, good pick up that'll thrust Iowa into contention.  

I'm not surprised. While it's unpopular to say so, I think he'll improve greatly and AA.

Well, he would have AA'd this year if he didn't melt down.  He improves, but not enough to be a threat at 133 IMO.  

Someone should let him know if he’s going to Iowa that Miletich MMA isn’t what it used to be.

Got me thinking...wonder how Hughes is doing these days?

Brands will be fired if he doesn't win in 2020

It'll be a very good team and who knows how PSU will reload.  This may very well be Iowa's best chance in a long time.  TOSU will probably be good, and OSO likely as well.  Although PSU has very good recruits, I don't see a Ruth/Taylor or Nolf/Retherford combo which has differentiated PSU in recent years. I think Brooks may be worthy, but not sure if he has a worthy partner; perhaps RBY.  Teasdale has looked a little too vulnerable the last year, and can't count on a kid with a gas tank issue.  RBY will likely be very good, and probably great, but he needs to really develop his mat wrestling to be dominant.  I like Lee, but he looks like a career 141 to me and he needs strength.  Lee also has to deal with Yianni and Eiermann.  Berge and Verkleeren seem AA worthy, but likely not NCs.  Really don't even consider Manville, but his college results really haven't been inspiring.  Beard seems a bit like Teasdale, and SN will be like his brother--slow twitch with mid to low AA potential.  

Why? I'm no DeSanto fan, but the kid was a late stall call away from AA last year. Up by two... and gave up a stall & RT in the final 5-10 seconds.

I'm not questioning his talent. I'm wondering whether or not his personality will be disruptive to the Iowa room ..... Will he make it through the season? If the rumours regarding him trying to hurt people at Drexel practices and him being invited to leave are true, Brands would be dealing with a toxic personality. If the entire team is prepared to deal constructively with that and DeSanto grows, that would be a nice piece of coaching. The Drexel coaching staff was pretty confident he was a great add at the beginning of the season and they failed to control him. Iowa has more to lose than Drexel if he proves disruptive. How much tolerance and patience will exist?

Of course, I don't know if the rumours are true, but some of his actions during tournaments raised the probability that they are for me. We shall see.

How long before DeSanto and Gilman get into a fight in the wrestling room?

Once Lee beats Gilman for the team spot, Gilman will join Ramos who will become his coach. I mean, who can't see this coming?  Lee is the chosen one, and Gilman will think something is rotten in Iowa.  

Poor Spencer. He seems like a good kid with a level head stuck between these two nut jobs.

Kidding me, Lee is manipulating and controlling the whole scene--good for him.  

Seems like a good fit. Desanto has lost a lot of fans but I do hope the brands bros help Austin get over some of his mental barriers. Hoping for the best for the kid and really think iowa can right that ship potentially.

I am not sure TNT are best equipped to deal with mental issues, although I suspect they can relate to some extent.  

DeSanto will improve quicker wrestling Lee everyday than probably anybody else in the country.

Sometimes getting your ass handed to you has the opposite effect; depends on one's mentality.  DeSanto may have some fragility.  

This escalated quickly. No arrests, no suspensions, no expulsions. I am waiting for the Charles Manson comparison.

He was a hot headed true freshman. I am glad everyone was perfect at 18....

Malicious is different than hot headed.  

Retherford apparently gets along very well with Gilman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am sure Trump and Daniels did, too, for a while.  Ever had an ex?

He IS leaving Drexel because of lack of workout partners.

I wonder why Gross's situation is different: goes from the "best room in the country" to some no-name college where he flourishes?  

Oh man, this is going to be fun next year, now that we have people pretending that Desanto is actually secretly bad at wrestling, and also the Brands brothers are bad at coaching.  It's like I'm in a time machine!

Oh, it'll definitely be "fun again" seeing the predictable Iowa fan behavior once they think their team has their "groove on" again.  Kids under 10 or 12 really wouldn't understand, but they will learn real quickly.  This said, Iowa probably has a very short window to not live vicariously through their history.  Really don't see OSU doing this, and don't they have a more impressive history?  Now, go chase an ambulance!