Sign in to follow this  
BAC

Half of Hawks' Lineup from PA?

125 Lee

133 DeSanto

141 Murin

157 Kemerer

174 Young

PA boys all.  Not certain all will start, but very plausible.

In any case they'll likely have more PA natives than PSU, which may have as few as 2 (Nolf and Joseph.... with other possible starters being Teasdale and Verkleeren). 

Interesting. 

My comment:  Tom Brands, realizing that he'd have a hard time competing if Cael monopolized all the top PA talent, started recruiting hard in PA to make inroads in Cael's base.  In recent years he finally started having success -- especially with Lee.  But ironically, much of his recent success in PA is due in part to the fact that PSU has become a top destination for kids outside of PA, resulting in many top PA kids getting left behind as PSU scholarship money and recruiting effort goes to higher-regarded out-of-state kids.  Iowa has been snapping them up.  And now that there's a critical mass of PA kids there, many of whom know each other, there are pipelines in place that enable Iowa to one-up PSU -- e.g. first Kemerer, then Lee his high school teammate, then DeSanto who knows Lee, and so on. 

I don't blame Cael for seeking out the nation's best but he needs to tend to the homefront too.

125 Lee

133 DeSanto

141 Murin

157 Kemerer

174 Young

PA boys all.  Not certain all will start, but very plausible.

In any case they'll likely have more PA natives than PSU, which may have as few as 2 (Nolf and Joseph.... with other possible starters being Teasdale and Verkleeren). 

Interesting. 

My comment:  Tom Brands, realizing that he'd have a hard time competing if Cael monopolized all the top PA talent, started recruiting hard in PA to make inroads in Cael's base.  In recent years he finally started having success -- especially with Lee.  But ironically, much of his recent success in PA is due in part to the fact that PSU has become a top destination for kids outside of PA, resulting in many top PA kids getting left behind as PSU scholarship money and recruiting effort goes to higher-regarded out-of-state kids.  Iowa has been snapping them up.  And now that there's a critical mass of PA kids there, many of whom know each other, there are pipelines in place that enable Iowa to one-up PSU -- e.g. first Kemerer, then Lee his high school teammate, then DeSanto who knows Lee, and so on. 

I don't blame Cael for seeking out the nation's best but he needs to tend to the homefront too.

Cael picks what he wants and leaves the rest for everyone else. I don’t know this for a fact but if Suriano was gone before Lee committed he would be at PSU, Iowa was the next best option for him.

There is no doubt that in a normal year PA produces the most high school wrestling talent in the country.  Iowa produces some talent but with a small population base there is no way that Iowa will have as much high school talent as PA on a consistent basis.  For whatever reason is appears as if the talent level in Iowa has diminished from what is was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  

Cael picks what he wants and leaves the rest for everyone else. I don’t know this for a fact but if Suriano was gone before Lee committed he would be at PSU, Iowa was the next best option for him.

One word-Terry.  I would agree with you in most other instances that Cael has proven to get who he wants.  However, Lee's aspirations go far beyond DI.  Terry Brands has proven to be the best domestic lightweight coach for a LONG time, going all the way back to Cejudo.

If Terry wasn't at Iowa, I would agree that PSU would have still grabbed Lee, even with Suriano.  But, Lee has been pretty adamant that Terry made his decision easy.  Having the last 4 years of US reps come out of Iowa in Ramos, Dennis and Gilman went a LOOOONG ways to reel Lee in.

In the entire history of Iowa wrestling there have been only 5 AAs from PA: Ray Brinzer, Mike Evans, Michael Kemerer, Spencer Lee and Jody Strittmatter. I expect there will be more in the future, but, historically, powerhouse PA has not played much of a role in Iowa wrestling.

wow, that's interesting headache.

i never would have guessed that.

It would be neat to see the breakdown of the Iowa and OSU all americans over the years.

i may try to start in the 70s

Iowa to 2010 http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/allamericans.pdf

OSU to 2014 http://okstate.com/sports/2015/3/17/GEN_20140101160.aspx

Edited by GockeS

You can't honestly think Spencer Lee avoided his first choice because he didn't think he could start.

While it is smart for Brands to leave the mid west and recruit (half the AA's came from 5 states in the east), it still does not make up for PSU's selective nationwide recruiting for next year.

2020? I don't think PSU is going anywhere but losing the bonus from Nolf and Nickal and add Nevills on top, Iowa has a shot.

As a PA person, I personally think it would be awesome for Iowa to pull off beating PENNYSYLVANIA STATE University with half of their team being from PA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

he doesn't think it but he likes to float the idea out of some sort of pathetic insecurity.

Yeah it makes no sense

I’m sure Spencer thought about Suriano being there as he seems like a rational guy, but he has never run from anyone. Also PSU had a clear hole at 133, so it’s not like one would have to be on the bench. Lee could’ve red shirted and then Suriano would e been a junior and bumped to 133. I’m assuming that was Cael’s plan if Lee had gone there

Anyone who legitimately thinks Lee went to his 2nd choice college because he wasn't good enough for the first choice is desperately lying to themselves to make the world fit their own perception.  

Lee went exactly where he wanted.  And while not every kid fits on every team and not every team fits for every kid, Lee obviously made the perfect choice here.  Good for him and good for every one of us who gets to watch him.

Oh come on, of course Suriano being at PSU was a factor for Lee.  On the plus side, that's a great practice partner.  On the downside, he has to know that PSU isn't going to want either of them ride the bench after expending that scholarship money, so they'll expect one to go 125 and one to go 133.  And if he thinks they're both career 125s, or both will want to bump to 133, he knows he can expect pressure from the coaching staff to go to a weight that isn't ideal for him.  It isn't about being "afraid" of making the lineup, its knowing that coaches recruit to fill particular weights, and will expect two blue-chip recruits to make room for each other. 

If Lee went to PSU he would be another cog in the wheel (albeit, a very large and important one).

At Iowa he is able to be the catalyst that changes the entire outlook and future direction of the program (which we are seeing happen right now).

There are some that are already labeling Spencer Lee to be the next head coach at Iowa.

Oh come on, of course Suriano being at PSU was a factor for Lee. On the plus side, that's a great practice partner. On the downside, he has to know that PSU isn't going to want either of them ride the bench after expending that scholarship money, so they'll expect one to go 125 and one to go 133. And if he thinks they're both career 125s, or both will want to bump to 133, he knows he can expect pressure from the coaching staff to go to a weight that isn't ideal for him. It isn't about being "afraid" of making the lineup, its knowing that coaches recruit to fill particular weights, and will expect two blue-chip recruits to make room for each other.

No, it wasn’t a factor.

Oh come on, of course Suriano being at PSU was a factor for Lee.  On the plus side, that's a great practice partner.  On the downside, he has to know that PSU isn't going to want either of them ride the bench after expending that scholarship money, so they'll expect one to go 125 and one to go 133.  And if he thinks they're both career 125s, or both will want to bump to 133, he knows he can expect pressure from the coaching staff to go to a weight that isn't ideal for him.  It isn't about being "afraid" of making the lineup, its knowing that coaches recruit to fill particular weights, and will expect two blue-chip recruits to make room for each other. 

Except there is no scenario where he is the one being pressured to go to a less than ideal weight.  He is the better wrestler and the smaller man.  There is no way he didn't think he could be the starting 125 from the go.  We're talking about a kid who writes his own ticket.  He went where he wanted to, as simple as that.  

Except there is no scenario where he is the one being pressured to go to a less than ideal weight.  He is the better wrestler and the smaller man.  There is no way he didn't think he could be the starting 125 from the go.  We're talking about a kid who writes his own ticket.  He went where he wanted to, as simple as that.  

You seem to be under the illusion that wrestling is a selfish meritocracy where the coaches have no say in the matter. It happens ALL THE TIME that the better wrestler will go at a less-than-ideal weight to make room for a talented but lesser wrestler.  Maybe the better wrestler makes that decision himself "for the good of the team," maybe its partly a friendship thing to make room for his buddy, maybe its following the request of the coaches who want to assemble the strongest lineup possible.  Maybe its a combination of these.  Lee is a team-oriented guy and I'm sure he'd want to do what's best for the team.  And even if he didn't -- if both Lee and Suriano wanted to go 133, and Lee certified at 125 but Suriano didn't, do you seriously think the coaches wouldn't step in and say "sorry Spencer, we need you at 125"?

These situations -- where 2 blue-chip wrestlers occupy 2 weight classes -- typically are resolved informally pre-season, and are settled by wrestle-offs only if they can't find a solution beforehand. 

I'm not saying this was a determinative factor for Lee -- or even saying it was a negative rather than a positive factor -- but *of course* it was a consideration in his decision.

Edited by BAC