Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Drexel?

If there was confirmation of this, I’m sure there’d be discussion about it. There was plenty of discussion about what the Drexel coaches should or shouldn’t do during NCAA’s.

That said, it would seem a bit odd that the coaches thought his offenses were bad enough to “invite him not to return,” but they weren’t bad enough to pull him from the tournament.

If there was confirmation of this, I’m sure there’d be discussion about it. There was plenty of discussion about what the Drexel coaches should or shouldn’t do during NCAA’s.

That said, it would seem a bit odd that the coaches thought his offenses were bad enough to “invite him not to return,” but they weren’t bad enough to pull him from the tournament.

Pull him from it? I am pretty sure the major issues came at the end of his last match, anyway.....

He was asked not to return

I wish him the best but you have to respect the Drexel coaches. Classy move. He built a lot of hype around the program but they still did what they thought was the right thing to do. That isn’t easy.

Imo the arm bar on Micic was much worse in the quarters than him quitting and yelling at his coaches in the blood round.

Overall yes of course but from coaches perspective....

With the Micic match he lost his head after getting his butt kicked, not good but we're going to get that under control. Good solid talk with him, then his last match he throws it and yells at the coaches. Okay that's it. I could see that scenario playing out.

But still, does anyone saying it KNOW he was asked not to return, or are we just guessing? (Even if it's an educated guess). Not necessarily questioning anyone as much just curious to know if that's in fact what happened.

Overall yes of course but from coaches perspective....

With the Micic match he lost his head after getting his butt kicked, not good but we're going to get that under control. Good solid talk with him, then his last match he throws it and yells at the coaches. Okay that's it. I could see that scenario playing out.

Fair enough (if that’s what happened)

I thought that comment came after they parted ways but if he did make that comment beforehand, well, that's as good a reason to let him go as any.

He needs to be careful what he wishes for because he is going to get the beating of his life every day for a couple of years at Iowa. That room is no joke for a scoutable guy like Desanto. I think he emerges from that much improved, but it's going to be hell to pay for a long while.

I think it's great what Azevedo chose to do for the benefit of his own program. As much as I wish they would, I just don't know enough kids, parents, high school and club coaches care about integrity on that level that you will see a lot of young men say, "I want to wrestle for THAT guy." I hope I am wrong.

As to DeSanto, does anyone have the video of him yelling at his corner during the blood round? I again watched the highlights that Flo have from that match before posting this, and I remain baffled by that third period meltdown/lack of action by Austin that opened the door for a DelVecchio win. Does anyone know what Austin was screaming at his corner?

Finally, if DeSanto keeps it together, gets off bottom and All-Americans this past March, is the discussion the same or different with the Drexel coaches after the tournament?

He was asked not to return

I wish him the best but you have to respect the Drexel coaches. Classy move. He built a lot of hype around the program but they still did what they thought was the right thing to do. That isn’t easy.

Similar to PDIII.   He had eligibility...but other factors kept him off the mat for Iowa. 

I think it's great what Azevedo chose to do for the benefit of his own program. As much as I wish they would, I just don't know enough kids, parents, high school and club coaches care about integrity on that level that you will see a lot of young men say, "I want to wrestle for THAT guy." I hope I am wrong.

As to DeSanto, does anyone have the video of him yelling at his corner during the blood round? I again watched the highlights that Flo have from that match before posting this, and I remain baffled by that third period meltdown/lack of action by Austin that opened the door for a DelVecchio win. Does anyone know what Austin was screaming at his corner?

Finally, if DeSanto keeps it together, gets off bottom and All-Americans this past March, is the discussion the same or different with the Drexel coaches after the tournament?

he yelled at the coaches during the scuffle too, and EIWAs

Edited by hammerlockthree

If they had been willing to make the environment in the room toxic i bet they could have kept him. And honestly, Iowa's room might have enough gravity to get the kid in line.

It will be interesting because he’s far from being a star in that room.