If the suspension was so unjust and beyond common sense he should have appealed it an made sure that he'd be able to participate this year. The USADA has procedures in place for a reason.

The one year suspension was not unjust. Not getting an invite, given the entirety of the circumstances, to WTTs is irrational and idiotic.

If you get popped at the US Open it is very reasonable to assume you could miss two world championships.

No it isn’t if the USADA suspension is for 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your statements.  However, he is off suspension now.  At the time, I'm guessing he figured he could make a last chance tourney and win it and get into the WTT's.  If that is the case, it is unfortunate for him that this is the first year without such tourneys in recent memory (at least my memory). 

mspart

"figuring" you can still make a team does not give you a pass on breaking the rules...

no one is saying cheating, but, if this was an athlete outside the US, that would be the narrative on this board...

I do know USOC has to approve selection procedures (I've worked out there in the past) but they don't neccessarily dictate. Given that I would assume they would have to approve an exception to procedures. But again that part of it I don't not know.

Just out of curiosity why don't you agree at all with paragraph 1? You don't think that starts a slippery slope?

I agree that the USADA needs to be strict, but even they have leeway. That’s why he only got 1 year, instead of 2.

USAW bi-laws are intentionally written to give them great latitude and discretion. This allows them the flexibility to make reasonable decisions based on specific circumstances. That is not what is happening here.

Edited by Angry_Fish

The one year suspension was not unjust. Not getting an invite, given the entirety of the circumstances, to WTTs is irrational and idiotic.

If you get popped at the US Open it is very reasonable to assume you could miss two world championships.

No it isn’t if the USADA suspension is for 1 year.

If he would have tested positive at the World Team Trials he'd be looking at two years worth of World Championships with a one year suspension.

If he would have tested positive at the World Team Trials he'd be looking at two years worth of World Championships with a one year suspension.

Maybe. Depending on calendar dates and USAW’s willingness to invite him (assuming his suspension was over by the time WTTs were scheduled.

Maybe. Depending on calendar dates and USAW’s willingness to invite him (assuming his suspension was over by the time WTTs were scheduled.

If they let Oliver in expect a flood of petitions to come through with guys saying they couldn't wrestle because their cat died, they had finals, God told them not to get on a plane, and so on. All of which I'd listen to more than if a guy missed qualifying due to being suspended from competition.

And let’s be honest with ourselves. If the exact situation occurred in the last year and a week with JB, KS and and couple others, they would have invites.

And that’s wrong.

And let’s be honest with ourselves. If the exact situation occurred in the last year and a week with JB, KS and and couple others, they would have invites.

And that’s wrong.

False

I think all these Beat the Streets events are pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. I think the two super matches with JB and JO will be very exciting. I also hope to see a real good dual between us and the TBA, as well as our women competing against the three Nigerian wrestlers.

Dole and some others. You are the same guys who think a kid who got caught with some pot a few years ago and got 10 year in the Penitentiary should not get any leeway even though the jurisdiction he was in now has weed legalized for personal use.

Rules are rules and mercy, humanity and making or modifying decisions based on further light and knowledge of the facts should never enter into it. That is what I am reading in your posts and it stinks.

Whether a mistake in paperwork, understanding or plain stupidity Oliver was banned as a result of a substance he apparently would have been approved for if he had done the correct paperwork.

Add in the change so no "last chance qualifier" this year and you are piling on the man. There is no rational reason for it. 365 Days... and heaven help us if it is Leap Year - maybe in that case he would have had his arms amputated as well.

Rules are Rules and "common sense" is not so common as you show so well.

as far as i can tell, JO has not been sentenced to any jail time...

he is not some kid... he is presumably an elite athlete still trying to compete in a sport that has rules... rules that it is his repsonsibility to know, understand, and abide by... it is not a right to compete for the US as an athlete... it is a privilege... he lost that privilege for a year by breaking the rules of his chosen sport... he is free to compete now...

he broke the rules of his sport... no amount of whining, suspect justification, false narratives, or made up circumstances created will change that...

as far as i can tell, JO has not been sentenced to any jail time...

he is not some kid... he is presumably an elite athlete still trying to compete in a sport that has rules... rules that it is his repsonsibility to know, understand, and abide by... it is not a right to compete for the US as an athlete... it is a privilege... he lost that privilege for a year by breaking the rules of his chosen sport... he is free to compete now...

he broke the rules of his sport... no amount of whining, suspect justification, false narratives, or made up circumstances created will change that...

And the rules allow him to be invited to WTTs, but he hasn’t been. It’s not a question of rules, it’s s question of USAW’s horrible decision.

It's not a horrible decision. You can say you wish they would but it's not a decision at all, let alone horrible. Do you really think the caveat of putting in a WC procedure was for the sake of....in case anyone misses all of the qualifiers because they were under drug suspension.

Do we know he applied for a wild card?

Do we know he applied before the deadline?

Do we know if he was under suspension when he applied?

Do we know if being under suspension when applying is an acceptable reason to apply?

Come on man. I know you'd like to see him get a shot here. But come on....

Edited by Lurker

It's not a horrible decision. You can say you wish they would but it's not a decision at all, let alone horrible. Do you really think the caveat of putting in a WC procedure was for the sake of....in case anyone misses all of the qualifiers because they were under drug suspension.

Do we know he applied for a wild card?

Do we know he applied before the deadline?

Do we know if he was under suspension when he applied?

Do we know if being under suspension when applying is an acceptable reason to apply?

Come on man. I know you'd like to see him get a shot here. But come on....

Learn the rules. There is no application processes this year. It’s in USAW’s sole discretion to choose to modify the previously announced eligibility criteria to address any circumstances that arise as they see fit (by virtue of a recommendation from the Sports Committee and approval from the Executive Committee). They made the horrible decision not to do so.

Bi-Law 6.2.2 grants this power without limitations.

And I have very good reason to believe they would have made a different decision had this EXACT situation arisen with JB or KS.

And yes, JO has made it clear to USAW that he would like an invite at 65KG.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Okay I'll grant you I haven't looked up the WC procedure for this year, as I don't see anyone out there with a good argument for a wild card this year. But my main point remains the same, do you really believe that caveat is there for the intent of someone who missed the qualifiers because of a drug suspension. Do you honestly believe that is in the best interest of the sport.

And what is your very good reason to believe JB or KS would be granted a "bye" if they were irresponsible enough to miss all the qualifiers because of a drug suspension. Your opinion? Or a legitimate good reason?

Do you recall Joe Warren's suspension being upheld before the 08 Olympics for weed? Greco Roman world champs are a little harder to come by here in the US, yet....

Now, circumstances in the two cases are different yes. But the fundamental argument is the same. Exceptions and special consideration are not given with drug suspensions. AS THEY SHOULD NOT BE. And there is no evidence that it would be for a world champ, in fact, the only evidence is the contrary, period.

Edited by Lurker

Okay I'll grant you I haven't looked up the WC procedure for this year, as I don't see anyone out there with a good argument for a wild card this year. But my main point remains the same, do you really believe that caveat is there for the intent of someone who missed the qualifiers because of a drug suspension. Do you honestly believe that is in the best interest of the sport.

And what is your very good reason to believe JB or KS would be granted a "bye" if they were irresponsible enough to miss all the qualifiers because of a drug suspension. Your opinion? Or a legitimate good reason?

Do you recall Joe Warren's suspension being upheld before the 08 Olympics for weed? Greco Roman world champs are a little harder to come by here in the US, yet....

Now, circumstances in the two cases are different yes. But the fundamental argument is the same. Exceptions and special consideration are not given with drug suspensions. AS THEY SHOULD NOT BE. And there is no evidence that it would be for a world champ, in fact, the only evidence is the contrary, period.

I don’t think the rules were written with any specific circumstance in mind. They were written in a manner to give USAW great flexibility. I would write them the same way if I were them. I applaud them for allowing themselves this latitude and discretion but I think their wisdom not to use in this case is horrible.