WillieBoy

Congrats to Chris Bono for getting paid

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20093

"Bono, 44, who had been coaching at South Dakota State University for the past six seasons until accepting the new job with the Badgers last month, will be making an annual salary of $250,000 during the length of the three-year contract ... nearly twice what he made coaching the Jackrabbits mat program."

Also in the article is stated that more than 100 applied for the job.

Congratulations to Chris Bono for helping raise the bar for coaches as this will help push other programs to do better. The University recognizing the need and stepping up with a good offer says a lot about their commitment to the program.

Bono has been a class act and I hope his tenure at Wisconsin sees nothing but success all the way around.

I think Davis is probably pretty content with his long career at Wisconsin and he doesn't strike me as a guy that would be resentful about the kind of money someone else is making.

After all, he was at Wisconsin for 25 years by choice and had every opportunity to negotiate himself a better package or go look for one at another University. IMO, I don't think money was ever the driving force with Davis.

Do you think Bono would take less money if they guaranteed him a 25-year career at Wisconsin? Maybe. Maybe not. But an interesting question.

This is great but if he doesn’t produce a top 5 program, he should be prepared to be fired. That’s the life of big time college coaches.

I bet they keep him for a long time if he gets them close to a top 10 finish. Gable in his peak couldn't turn Wisconsin into a top 5 program in just three years and Bono won't either.

3 years is pretty thin isn’t it? Dresser’s was 7 years. I guess I don’t know what is norm.

3 years. Year 1 adjust and recruit. Year 2 redshirt class just recruited. Year 3 hope redshirts deliver.

Not only that, but almost 150k more than what Barry Davis was making after 25yrs....

Would $150,000.00 more per year have equated into more wins for Wisconsin?  It has been my experience that most universities get what they pay for when in comes to coaches.  JMO, but if a school wants to have an opportunity to be a Top 10 program they should pay the head coach $200,000+, number 1 assistant coach $100,000 and the number 2 assistant coach $75,000.  This does not include perks and monies made from camps.

Edited by cbg

Its all good.  Was happy to read this good news and also happy for Bono.  A sign that the UW is supporting wrestling & its coaches.  With high pay also comes the expectations of results.  Its a double edged steel thingy.

Pretty crappy for Barry Davis though... wonder what he is thinking? I am sure he wants to see the program succeed and pay competitive salaries, but he invested a lot of time into that program and the new coach makes 2.5 times what he made in his very first year!

Think Barry will even care when UALR announces him as the new man?