Fletcher

What's the proper way to discuss wrestler with a rumored mental health condition?

To the original question:  the same as with any rumored disability, whether mental/emotional or physical, such as a torn ACL or rotator cuff.  Be clear when you are speculating versus when you have actual facts.  Be respectful of the individual in question but also demand behavior that is fitting of the honorable nature of the sport.  Separate reasons for unacceptable behavior from excuses for what is inexcusable.  Ultimately, look to create some positive outcome from the discussion rather than merely take advantage of an opportunity to degrade someone.  Wrestling demands mastery of oneself, both physically and mentally and both on and off the mat, and any behavior that blemishes this (whether throwing tantrums, purposely trying to injure an opponent, being purposely disrespectful of an opponent or coach, taking shortcuts through chemical means or, in the case of college athletes, cheating academically, etc., the list is nearly endless) should be addressed with severity.

My youngest child is autistic and suffers from anxiety. While I respect the opinions of those who have posted on this thread, most people really don’t know much about autism. My child’s behavior many times is unpredictable and socially inappropriate. There is no doubt that those that have harsh opinions about the person that is the intent of this thread, do not have any experience living with or working as a professional with autistic people.

Please don’t judge this wrestler. Kudos to the Iowa staff for their willingness to provide an opportunity for this athlete.

I have great sympathy for those with disabilities (my daughter is one), but anyone who blatantly endangers the safety of an opponent should not be sent into the circle until that behavior is properly controlled.

I completely understand.

For anybody with any class, the simple answer is,

You don't discuss medical issues. Especially rumors of mental health. 

you're crazy. people with mental health disorders need people to talk about it, so they can deal with the pain. **** sucks!

We don't need to mock autiistics and the like, but we shouldn't go out of the way to justify aberrant and undesired behavior, like DeSanto showed in his Micic match, either.

I don't see people "justifying" behavior. I see some that simply "understand" behavior that has REASONS for undesirable behavior. Should it be tolerated, NO!  But I certainly don't want people thrown out the door. The correct approach in many/most situations can/does turn things around for those with issues they have through no fault of their own.