Sign in to follow this  
BobDole

D2 Truman State Drops Wrestling

TSU is one of the top academic schools in MO. They don’t offer any athletic scholarships for wrestling, nor do they pay any of their asst wresting coaches. One of the major factors in the programs’ dismissal, pitched to the student/athletes, was too many of them were on academic scholarship and not paying enough “of their share” back to the school.

Disgraceful

TSU is one of the top academic schools in MO. They don’t offer any athletic scholarships for wrestling, nor do they pay any of their asst wresting coaches. One of the major factors in the programs’ dismissal, pitched to the student/athletes, was too many of them were on academic scholarship and not paying enough “of their share” back to the school.

Disgraceful

So they were too smart for their own good.... I can now say I've heard it all.

I think the people that don't know about some of these teams, don't follow other divisions passionately as they do DI.   It does suck,  they had the most diverse student population with 46% of the team being non white.  They had a DII National qualifier that missed All American honors by 1 match.   They have been told that it is possible to save if they could raise $105,000.   Yearly they raise 15-25 just from alumni.   Their NQ was on a $2000 scholarship for wrestling and was a football walk on.   2 seniors on the team, rest is very young.   They wrestled Missouri in a dual this year as well as several other top tier programs across divisions, they competed in the Cyclone Open as well.   This program is in a good area, but it is academic as a top priority. 

The first wave of cuts came as a result of Title IX. Now it is money. It’s not only going to be wrestling. For sports to survive they will have to produce revenue, gain national recognition, be funded by endowments, or have enough athletes paying tuition that ultimately pays for the program. If a school has a profitable football or basketball team, that revenue stream may help other sports survive.

I think the people that don't know about some of these teams, don't follow other divisions passionately as they do DI.   It does suck,  they had the most diverse student population with 46% of the team being non white.  They had a DII National qualifier that missed All American honors by 1 match.   They have been told that it is possible to save if they could raise $105,000.   Yearly they raise 15-25 just from alumni.   Their NQ was on a $2000 scholarship for wrestling and was a football walk on.   2 seniors on the team, rest is very young.   They wrestled Missouri in a dual this year as well as several other top tier programs across divisions, they competed in the Cyclone Open as well.   This program is in a good area, but it is academic as a top priority. 

I'm not sure some of this information is accurate. In 2011, Truman cut men's golf and also cut scholarships for wrestling, baseball, men's tennis and men's swimming. As such, their NQ and any wrestler does not receive scholarships. Their NQ was 1st team all-conference in football as a freshman and sophomore and don't think he is just a walk-on for football.

While it is certainly disappointing that Truman is dropping wrestling, I think there is a degree of naivete to be shocked by the move. If you are an administrator that is told you have to save money, it is is a logical choice to cut programs that have a minimal impact. In this case you have wrestling with a total roster of 14 kids, 3 of which were seniors and only 1 freshman. Tennis is similar situation.

Bad news. Missouri College Wrestling was trending up after the recent additions of D3 Westminster & Fontbonne.

With Truman State dropping, this only leaves Drury, UCM & Maryville as D2 options.

Bad news. Missouri College Wrestling was trending up after the recent additions of D3 Westminster & Fontbonne.

With Truman State dropping, this only leaves Drury, UCM & Maryville as D2 options.

There is also Lindenwood. There are really quite a few D2 options in Missouri. I would say the lack of juco options is more concerning.

It has been a long time since Truman has beat a fellow in-state school, other than Hannibal LaGrange or Missouri Baptist. They might have beaten UCM once in the past 20 years. That probably doesn't help keep the program around.

There is also Lindenwood. There are really quite a few D2 options in Missouri. I would say the lack of juco options is more concerning.

I keep thinking of Lindenwood as NAIA although they have been D2 for a few years now.

Agree with you that lack of a JUCO Program is a bigger problem.

Disgraceful

While they're generally not known for their athletics, their academics are outstanding.

Truman State was the 6x NCAA D-II Wrestling Academic National Champions (1996-97, 2001-02, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10).

They've also been named the #1 midwest public university by US News and World Report for 21 straight years.

http://www.truman.edu/truman-earns-no-1-ranking-21-consecutive-years/

No one knew that Truman had wrestling and no one will be aware that Truman dropped Civilization’s Oldest & Greatest Sport.

This really is an ignorant post.  I'm pretty sure all current and former TSU wrestlers, coaches,and fans would take exception to this.

Edited by KCMO2

Problem is there is a contingent of the fanbase of wrestling that doesn’t care about watching anything other than “the best.”

It’s frustrating as someone who tries to promote all levels of wrestling. Every wrestling team has a story and a rationale to stay alive. We can’t force people who are fans of (Insert D1 school here) to celebrate how great the wrestling competition is within other wrestling divisions. I get that. What it doesn’t mean is we should be dismissive of teams we don’t take the time to get to know.

I’ve had conversations with some great wrestling fans who believe Tervel Dlagnev wrestled at Nebraska (Lincoln) and “most” NAIA champs are D1 transfers.