• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:03 AM

I’ve seen a lot of conflicting information about Zahid including that he will be at the WTTs at 86kg. Now why would that be? Why wouldn’t he go 79kg which is exactly 174 pounds versus 86kg which is sixteen pounds more. On the other hand the most recent Flo I can find says he’s qualified at 79kg.

https://www.flowrest...rld-team-trials

Does anyone know for certain what weight he’s going at or for that matter if he’s going at all?

If he’s going how would he stack up against Dake and Ringer? How would he stack up against Taylor?

#2 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:58 AM

I can’t imagine he goes 86

I assume that he can choose his weight. Winning ncaas qualified him for whatever weight class he wants, right? How else would they handle the guys in weights that are in between classes? Or guys that choose not to cut the same way (which I guess is mostly negated with the weigh in changes)?

The cut to 174 wasn’t that crazy for him last season. Also, David Taylor killed him in folk a Midlands in 2016/17. I think he has a much better shot vs Ringer/Dake

I’m picking him over Ringer if they wrestle.

#3 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that if you qualify you can chose your weight, NCAAs or otherwise. 

#4 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:15 AM

Zahid is good, but not good enough to take out Ringer in my opinion.  Going will give him good experience and I would be surprised if he took 3rd in the challenge tourney.

mspart

#5 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:28 AM

I pick zahid over taylor, cox and snyder, but Not going to beat ringer,dake, chance, Nolf

Love these hypotheticals! Never been wrong.
MAGA!

#6 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

I can see Zahid getting in on Ringer due to what I believe is a speed advantage (we'll see...), but I don't think he's ready for his strength yet. Still, he is one of the college guys I feel has the highest ceiling in freestyle. Very quick and excellent defense and body control.

#7 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

I agree, he'll get there.  I just don't think he is there now.  Not against those guys.  Ringer, Dake, Taylor, Cox, Snyder all would take him and I think fairly easily.  I could be wrong, we'll see in the WTT's.  That's why there's the big dance.

mspart

#8 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Well as we saw with Fix, and Gable, (although these guys are younger than Zahid), I think we see Zahid do very well at the trials, and it would not surprise me to see him battling Ringer in the finals. But if they do face off, I think Ringer prevails due to being a little more experienced and craftier than Zahid.
  • spladle08 likes this

#9 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:36 AM

Yep, Ringer will have that old age and treachery thing going for him!!!

mspart

• tbert likes this

#10 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Yep, Ringer will have that old age and treachery thing going for him!!!

mspart

His brother nearly beat ringer last year, then next match ringer stuck him.
MAGA!

#11 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

Zahid is a year away. He will compete well, not quite get there against Ringer, and adjust for the next cycle. Much like he did in folk this year. His career from little kids has been a fairly steady progression. And like Snyder (but not in Snyder's league - like the rest of the world), he loves to wrestle, doesn't get rattled even with the 'big' loses, but learns when he loses, and moves on. There is something to be said for just doing what you do no matter the pedigree of a match.
  • cjc007 likes this

#12 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:17 AM

Zahid is a year away. He will compete well, not quite get there against Ringer, and adjust for the next cycle. Much like he did in folk this year. His career from little kids has been a fairly steady progression. And like Snyder (but not in Snyder's league - like the rest of the world), he loves to wrestle, doesn't get rattled even with the 'big' loses, but learns when he loses, and moves on. There is something to be said for just doing what you do no matter the pedigree of a match.

I love Zahid but don’t think he gets by Dake next year. Are you assuming Dake drops to 74 or goes to 86?

I am picking Zahid over Ringer at WTT

#13 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:29 AM

I assume Dake will drop down for 2019-2020.

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#14 Glane18

Glane18

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:32 AM

Zahid is right there, imo.  Only 1 college loss so far and redeemed that loss 2x.  Junior World silver medalist in freestyle.  If that's not ready I don't know what is.  

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#15 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

I don’t know about ready to win, but certainly ready to wrestle. I think even though Zahid only has a junior world silver while Hall has a couple of golds, I think Zahid is right there with the best up and comers. That said, I think the guys in and around his weight, Ringer and Dake especially, are going to be tough to beat *this year*. That said most of the young guys who make the world team for the first time to some extent are a surprise. Snyder surprised us when he took our Varner. Smith’s first team wasn’t entirely clearly his to lose. I don’t recall, what about Burroughs? I know Sanderson was expected to make the team but he is more exception than rule.

#16 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

I love Zahid but don’t think he gets by Dake next year. Are you assuming Dake drops to 74 or goes to 86?

I am picking Zahid over Ringer at WTT

Zahid is a player but not a favorite in any sense this year. Next year he maybe finds a spot in a non Olympic weight. The Olympic cycle, I don't know, lots of really good talent. A nice problem to have. I mean looking back at Ringer's collegiate career, he has serious credentials to say he was the second greatest collegiate wrestler of all time (conceding number one to Sanderson). Not saying he was the second but is in the conversation. I just like the approach Z Valencia takes. He just loves to wrestle. Has a passion for it. Is his natural physical ability enough? We'll see. But the approach is more Snyder like and more overseas like. it is about form, technique, strategy, and moving forward, versus the American tradition of endless grinding being the best approach. I - my opinion - also think this is the approach JB takes now.  When you work on the process, choking is less likely.  

Edited by sgallan, 16 May 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#17 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Zahid is a player but not a favorite in any sense this year. Next year he maybe finds a spot in a non Olympic weight. The Olympic cycle, I don't know, lots of really good talent. A nice problem to have. I mean looking back at Ringer's collegiate career, he has serious credentials to say he was the second greatest collegiate wrestler of all time (conceding number one to Sanderson). Not saying he was the second but is in the conversation. I just like the approach Z Valencia takes. He just loves to wrestle. Has a passion for it. Is his natural physical ability enough? We'll see. But the approach is more Snyder like and more overseas like. it is about form, technique, strategy, and moving forward, versus the American tradition of endless grinding being the best approach. I - my opinion - also think this is the approach JB takes now. When you work on the process, choking is less likely.

Zahid is very humble too.

One of his best traits.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#18 bwh27

bwh27

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

I don’t know about ready to win, but certainly ready to wrestle. I think even though Zahid only has a junior world silver while Hall has a couple of golds, I think Zahid is right there with the best up and comers. That said, I think the guys in and around his weight, Ringer and Dake especially, are going to be tough to beat *this year*. That said most of the young guys who make the world team for the first time to some extent are a surprise. Snyder surprised us when he took our Varner. Smith’s first team wasn’t entirely clearly his to lose. I don’t recall, what about Burroughs? I know Sanderson was expected to make the team but he is more exception than rule.

Did Snyder really surprise us when he took out Varner?  He had already won Junior Worlds a couple years before, wrestled Gatsalov competitively as an 18 year old and Varner was coming from three years off competition.  I think it was only surprising given Snyder's disappointing NCAA tournament performance, but in a nutshell his freestyle resume and skills made it a pretty even match up that Snyder proved wasn't (he won 4-1, 3-0).  

I agree that on paper Valencia isn't at the level of Ringer or Dake, but his length combined with his leg attacks could make for a very intriguing match up.  I think his skills translate to freestyle very well, in fact better than folk and he just dominated this past season.  He would have to wrestle like he did in the finals against Hall, not like he did against other top competitors like Amine in the semis, Jordan earlier in the year, etc to keep it competitive with Ringer.  But if he competes like that then I wouldn't be completely shocked by an upset.  I'm picked Ringer though.

• tbert likes this

#19 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

Zahid is a player but not a favorite in any sense this year. Next year he maybe finds a spot in a non Olympic weight. The Olympic cycle, I don't know, lots of really good talent. A nice problem to have. I mean looking back at Ringer's collegiate career, he has serious credentials to say he was the second greatest collegiate wrestler of all time (conceding number one to Sanderson). Not saying he was the second but is in the conversation. I just like the approach Z Valencia takes. He just loves to wrestle. Has a passion for it. Is his natural physical ability enough? We'll see. But the approach is more Snyder like and more overseas like. it is about form, technique, strategy, and moving forward, versus the American tradition of endless grinding being the best approach. I - my opinion - also think this is the approach JB takes now. When you work on the process, choking is less likely.

Yeah for sure Zahid isn’t the favorite.

I disagree on Ringer being second best ever, but i get the point you are making.

I agree on the rest. Our style is changing and it is working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users