• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#181 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

I am told that the mat is brand new-- a big part of the problem.

#182 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Chamizo is SO much better than Burroughs, but i'm not sure if he will ever beat him.

I know this is heresy but Chamizo is a bit overrated In my opinion as so many wrestlers with flashy styles tend to be. He doesn’t have nearly the consistent track record that JB has even if he did look amazing at worlds last year. But he sure as hell is fun to watch.
  • Eagle26 likes this

#183 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

I am told that the mat is brand new-- a big part of the problem.

It had absolutely nothing to do with Mat. When you hold a wrestling tournament at night outside, once the sun goes down the mats will become dewy and there is nothing that can be done to keep them dry. It may only be an issue when the humidity is high (or more of an issue) but which type of Mat you use is of no effect...

#184 airmail

airmail

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

I love our guys.  How would we all feel if a few of our best went overseas and competed in something similar which was (just by reading a few posts) held on pretty sketchy conditions with very biased officiating? 

I wouldn't be very happy, funds raised for a good cause or not.  I hope we're making it very much worth their time to come over for this.

• cjc007 likes this

#185 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Sounds like a fun event.  I bet all the guys who participated enjoyed the atmosphere and I am guessing the actual wrestling was secondary to everyone involved.  

• Jaroslav Hasek likes this

#186 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

Snyder looked very human and, well, beatable.  He was turned and also picked up and planted on his back for four points.  He pulled it out because his Lopez gassed badly.  Concern?  Maybe or maybe not, but Lopez is a threat.

#187 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

We should compare your posts here to everything you've ever posted to see if you've ever had a single generic thought that didn't relate to Penn State. Jesus man.

Hypocrisy is in vogue, I see.

You can't have it both ways. A slippery mat onviously was not good last nite, just as it was not good last year. You can't decide how you feel based on who the psrticipants are and not be a hypocrit. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Edited by TBar1977, 17 May 2018 - 11:54 PM.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#188 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

I know this is heresy but Chamizo is a bit overrated In my opinion as so many wrestlers with flashy styles tend to be. He doesn’t have nearly the consistent track record that JB has even if he did look amazing at worlds last year. But he sure as hell is fun to watch.

He's pretty consistent and I mean it was a 6-5 match, don't jump on the "He lost to Burroughs by 1 proving his flashy style is inconsistent" bus... 
Great wrestler if he stays there for worlds, they'll meet again

#189 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:33 AM

About the mats —- they’ve been outside in the evening in NYC before. Didn’t see this happen.

Seems like the conditions were different —- a more humid day? We’re people saying it was misty out?

#190 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

Chamizo is SO much better than Burroughs, but i'm not sure if he will ever beat him. 

LOL LOL LOL 

#191 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:06 AM

You can't have it both ways. A slippery mat onviously was not good last nite, just as it was not good last year. You can't decide how you feel based on who the psrticipants are and not be a hypocrit. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

so you are saying they should have dried the mat every 30 seconds and give cox a break?

oh, better yet, penalty point for each droplet that hits the mat.

i didn't see taylor fall down three times while faking.

cox slid across the mat once. on his knees...which were wet.

Edited by GockeS, 18 May 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#192 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:30 AM

About the mats —- they’ve been outside in the evening in NYC before. Didn’t see this happen.

Seems like the conditions were different —- a more humid day? We’re people saying it was misty out?

It has to do with the dew point. Dew forms when the moisture can't easily evaporate into the air, such as was the case last nite along the river. Too much humidity, too much nearby water, not enough warm dry air. 

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#193 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

so you are saying they should have dried the mat every 30 seconds and give cox a break?

oh, better yet, penalty point for each droplet that hits the mat.

i didn't see taylor fall down three times while faking.

cox slid across the mat once. on his knees...which were wet.

No, what I am saying is the same thing that was said by many right here last nite but which was hardly said by anyone last year. It is hard to draw conclusions as to how a wrestling match would turn out on a normal dry mat based on how a match turned out on an anything but normal wet slippery mat. It matters not who the wrestlers are to make that kind of statement. 

Edited by TBar1977, 18 May 2018 - 01:33 AM.

#194 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:57 AM

i agree with that tBar, but to compare the mats last nite to the mats in the cox/taylor match is not apples to apples.

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#195 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Great event. Sad to see the mat condition causing those issues. All matches except for Gross / Teasdale are no contests!

I will say that Chamizo seemed to have MUCH better grip on the bottom of his shoes. But, even he was slipping.

A win for Nike.

That comeback by Snyder seems almost scripted!!!

How many times have you seen Snyder picked up and put directly down on both shoulders... lol
MAGA!

#196 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

Nah I'm actually on your side in relation to Cox/Taylor match 3, it was a farce.  My comment was about you persistently relating every topic presented to PSU, even in the international forum.  

#197 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

LOL LOL LOL

That was admittedly a bit trollish. chamizo isn’t SO much better, but I do believe he is a more complete and technically skilled wrestler. Give me the guy who engages 85% of the match with a 95% win percentage over the guy who engages 40% of the match, aside from punches to the face, with the 99% win percentage.

#198 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

That was admittedly a bit trollish. chamizo isn’t SO much better, but I do believe he is a more complete and technically skilled wrestler. Give me the guy who engages 85% of the match with a 95% win percentage over the guy who engages 40% of the match, aside from punches to the face, with the 99% win percentage.

And you would be 4% less successful.

#199 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

Nah I'm actually on your side in relation to Cox/Taylor match 3, it was a farce.  My comment was about you persistently relating every topic presented to PSU, even in the international forum.  

I have posted in maybe 6 threads since march. How could I possibly have related every topic to PSU? 

EDIT: Don't expect me to not point out GLARING hypocrisies when they happen. 

Edited by TBar1977, 18 May 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#200 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

you are saying JB only engages 40% of the time?

let me ask how many shot chamizo took.

and i would love to see how many of JB's opponents have stitches after matches compared to his own.

Edited by GockeS, 18 May 2018 - 07:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users