• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

you are saying JB only engages 40% of the time?
let me ask how many shot chamizo took.

I should have specified that I’m not talking about this match, but their overall wrestling. I file this match under highly entertaining but completely meaningless bc of the conditions. I’ll move comparing them to the other thread.

#202 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

He's pretty consistent and I mean it was a 6-5 match, don't jump on the "He lost to Burroughs by 1 proving his flashy style is inconsistent" bus... 
Great wrestler if he stays there for worlds, they'll meet again

No doubt a great wrestler. However, since the Olympics he was frankly destroyed by the Cuban that Logan just beat.... and Lost to the Turk at European championships. His wins over Molinaro, Oliver, and Stieber were by very narrow margins so I just feel the hype on this board may be a bit much. I can’t say that he’s any better of a wrestler than say Asgarov (who beat him at the Olympics and has more hardware but is less fun to watch and who you don’t hear much about).

#203 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

I have posted in maybe 6 threads since march. How could I possibly have related every topic to PSU? 

EDIT: Don't expect me to not point out GLARING hypocrisies when they happen. 

You might want to work on your reading comprehension.  Nothing I have said is even remotely hypocritical.  I would say more but I fear it would confuse you further, and hey, at least you do post. 

#204 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Well after watching SnyderMan's match, I got pretty concerned. I know that he slipped and that slip "probably" lead to a takedown and a turn. But then he promptly got thrown to his back. Now huge props to him for being able to battle back and win, but my concern is that he got scored on like this in the first place.
This match makes me think about Burroughs in 2016 at the Olympics. Many people think that he just had a bad day, which may have been the case, but I also had it in my mind that Burroughs was out there promoting this and that, and I think his training and preparation suffered. So now that Kyle has signed with Rudis, and who knows what else, I worry that he may suffer the same fate. Hopefully this match serves as a "wake up" call and Kyle can take steps to keep himself on track.
Now I will say something that will make some people scratch their heads after reading what I just typed, but I do believe Kyle will have a much better result against Salas the next time they wrestle. But Salas is not Sadulaev and who else might be out there, so hopefully, I am over reacting and SnyderMan has it all under control, or like I said above, he fixes any possible issues.

#205 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I really don’t think that’s the case. I really feel like Kyle got out there and was completely thrown off by the slick mats and unsure of his footing. You could just see it in the way that he moved. On the Salas shot he barely even had a counter. No way that happens on a dry mat. I predict that he scores back to back techs at final x, And storms into the world finals. Whether he beats Sadulaev again is a complete tossup.

Of course, the mat was slick for Salas too but I think how people reacted to it was highly variable based on their style, grip on their shoes, And probably fear of injury.
  • ArianaGrande likes this

#206 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Of course, the mat was slick for Salas too but I think how people reacted to it was highly variable based on their style, grip on their shoes, And probably fear of injury.

100% 
I've been trying to convey this when people try to use these results projecting forwards. 
Yes they were wet for everyone
Yes nobody could wrestle 100% how they wanted to. 
No that doesn't even things out.... everyone adapted in their own way, some were super confused and some figured it out, but regardless this type of "adversity" isnt a thing when in a controlled environment and it would be foolish to reference these results at all honestly. 
It was a great show and fun to watch, but the handcuffs the mat put on everyone didnt allow for anyone to perform at the top of their game. 

#207 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

They need to re-think the logistics of the event.  The backdrop last night was awesome.  And Times square is the epicenter of the city, but too much weather risk being outdoors. 

Have the wrestling inside at Columbia and do the Gala at someplace scenic.  NY offers countless amazing places for galas, etc..

NYAC no an option.  Way too small.  

• de4856 likes this
"Yeah, by far, Flo is the biggest problem in the sport."   --- Lurker

#208 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

They need to re-think the logistics of the event.  The backdrop last night was awesome.  And Times square is the epicenter of the city, but too much weather risk being outdoors. 

Have the wrestling inside at Columbia and do the Gala at someplace scenic.  NY offers countless amazing places for galas, etc..

NYAC no an option.  Way too small.  

Gotta agree, the "Being outside" aspect is just... MEH 
You can have a spectacle indoors as well just as easily. I hope they do change it, I know this is a 1-time fail and some would say it is knee jerk, but it literally handicapped the entire event. 

#209 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Gotta agree, the "Being outside" aspect is just... MEH 
You can have a spectacle indoors as well just as easily. I hope they do change it, I know this is a 1-time fail and some would say it is knee jerk, but it literally handicapped the entire event. 

But it's a risk/concern every year.  This time it just finally happened. 

• ArianaGrande likes this

#210 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

But it's a risk/concern every year. This time it just finally happened.

This is what i was thinking. Never been an issue until now. Grapple on the grid iron, lehigh, bts. It was bound to happen, i still think the batting average for outdoor wrestling events is astonishingly high

#211 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:03 AM

Given it's one and only purpose is to be a grand spectacle for the sake of raising money, awareness, and inspiration for/of inner city kids, I'd say it's just fine. Success of the event isn't measured on how the wrestling turned out. It's measured on how much money it raised, how much awareness it raised for the program, and how many of those kids were inspired to beat the challenges of those streets and make a good life for themselves.
  • spladle08 likes this

#212 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:44 AM

Given it's one and only purpose is to be a grand spectacle for the sake of raising money, awareness, and inspiration for/of inner city kids, I'd say it's just fine. Success of the event isn't measured on how the wrestling turned out. It's measured on how much money it raised, how much awareness it raised for the program, and how many of those kids were inspired to beat the challenges of those streets and make a good life for themselves.

And if the World Class Wrestling competition ceases to exist, the amount of money raised will be less.

You really ought to care a little more about the kids. 

• steamboat_charlie likes this

#213 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

You're adorable Fish. Head hurting yet?

#214 Grimo

Grimo
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Where we can watch Asgarov vs Jordan Oliver? I dont get flowrestling, you spent so much money on the event, you ask to pay in order to watch it live, but at least post the matches after ther event so people around the world can watch it as well.

Edited by Grimo, 19 May 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#215 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:12 AM

The other failure by event organizers is not starting the event on time (hour+ late).  The mat conditions got worse as night went on.  If event started on time, a lot of the problems with the mats during the last few matches could have been avoided.

#216 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

The work the Igali is doing with the Nigerians, and getting their women the acknowledgement and being able to bring them over for the event is a very big plus as well. Good thing to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users