Sign in to follow this  
Erminio8

Spencer Lee considering wrestling for France?

You only have to file a transfer with UWW if you have competed internationally for another country previously.  I dont think Habat wrestled on any USA teams and was already a dual citizen so he didnt have to do anything, despite living and wrestling in the NCAA's.

For Lee, it would be easier than most think.  Most of France's GR and FS were born outside of France and are young, so they definitely know how to play this game.

If I remember correctly, Alex Dolly had to meet citizenship requirements set forth by the Irish government in order to compete for them. His grandmother being from Ireland was the key.

Also, Ramzan Ibraikhanov had a (well placed) sponsor in country and then changed his name to Ramazan S(h)ahin to sound more Turkish, and honor said sponsor, when he made the "move" to compete for Turkey. I miss that dude competing. He was a beast

What I am gathering from all of this is a few things:

1. It's not as easy as saying, "Hey, Ukraine, I want to wrestle for you and my country is down with." Ukraine then says, "Okay, we'll pay UWW the arbitrary $5,000 ransom they require for this to happen. See you soon!"

2. This is becoming a great way for more athletes to compete on the World and Olympic stage.

3. This sort of thing could be a boost to countries who don't have a strong wrestling heritage.

4. I had another relevant point, but I've now forgotten what that was.

Also, Ramzan Ibraikhanov had a (well placed) sponsor in country and then changed his name to Ramazan S(h)ahin to sound more Turkish, and honor said sponsor, when he made the "move" to compete for Turkey. I miss that dude competing. He was a beast

And Open Sat changed his name to match that of the country's president/dictator - had to believe that was done to speed up or be a condition for whatever process it takes to wrestle for Turkey. 

If I remember correctly, Alex Dolly had to meet citizenship requirements set forth by the Irish government in order to compete for them. His grandmother being from Ireland

I explained his situation earlier. Dolly already had dual citizenship through his grandfather which allowrd him to get the documentation needed to represent Ireland with little issue. Dolly’s grandfather was born on the boat ride to America, so he could apply for citizenship in Ireland (where the boat came from) and America (country he arrived in). Irish law allows for up to the third generation of Irish decent to apply for Irish citizenship too. Alex is 3rd generation and his family was able to apply and get approved for Irish citizenship for him and his siblings during their youth. Apparently it a more annoying process to try to achieve if you try to apply the same way after you turn 18. After college Dolly was able to contact Ireland About representing their nation in international competition. Since he already meet the citizenship requirements it didn’t take too many steps to get the national governing body and FILAs to approve this.

Edited by MadMardigain

There's lots of people who do this, it's nothing new.  Arawat Sabejew wrestled for Germany despite not being German and I think previously won a world medal at some level for Russia. Konstantin Alexksandrov wrestled for Krygzystan despite being Ukrainian.  Gogi Kogashvili wrestled for Russia despite being Georgian. Armen Nazarain wrestled for Bulgaria after leaving Armenia where he won a world championship. Karam Gaber nearly defected to the US until the Egyptian government paid him to stay.  Joseph Atiyeh wrestled for Syria despite being a US citizen who wrestled in high school and college here and was an Olympic silver medalist.  

Some countries it's pretty easy to qualify for citizenship through family or some other means.  Leading up to the 2004 Olympics, Greece had almost no history of baseball or softball in their country but as the host country had to field teams for both.  Most of the players who played on the Greek team were Americans who had some pretty distant connections, like great grandparents who had been borne there or something.  Peter Angelos who was the owner of the Baltimore Orioles at the time paid people to research this and find pro players who could go play for Greece since the US didn't qualify to send a team that year.  One of the girls who played on that team was from Scottsdale and had no idea she had any relatives from Greece and managed to play softball for them through some vague family connection. It just depends what standards each country has as far as granting some form of residency/citizenship that allows you to play for them.  

Typical Russian story when two tough guys...one win.....another loss and joins to other country We must see Lee for France/Germany/U.K.

Abdullah I love this about Russia.   So much depth and competitiveness.   I'm glad there are other options.   My dream is to one day see USA B team member starting for Russian team.    Maybe it happens in your life time, I am closing in on the proverbial, forever dirt nap. 

That said, my contact inside the University of Iowa wrestling room has reviled to me Lee will be making a bid for the world team next year.    I am not at liberty to discuss who wins in the room but I can say there is a clear "top dawg" in Iowa city and it's pretty definitive.     Lee will be going for the spot and I could not be more happy.   I was hoping to see him on the junior team, but if its seniors time, then so be it.    I hope him and Fix meet up and may the better wrestler win.  If it's not Lee, I would love to see him on Team France. 

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

Abdullah I love this about Russia.   So much depth and competitiveness.   I'm glad there are other options.   My dream is to one day see USA B team member starting for Russian team.    Maybe it happens in your life time, I am closing in on the proverbial, forever dirt nap. 

That said, my contact inside the University of Iowa wrestling room has reviled to me Lee will be making a bid for the world team this year.    I am not at liberty to discuss who wins in the room but I can say there is a clear "top dawg" in Iowa city and it's pretty definitive.     Lee will be going for the spot and I could not be more happy.   I was hoping to see him on the junior team, but if its seniors time, then so be it.    I hope him and Fix meet up and may the better wrestler win.  If it's not Lee, I would love to see him on Team France. 

"USA B team member starting for Russian team"

Come on!! i know you so good, i see you for 3 years in this board, very good troll! know very good psychology of people. About Fix and Lee, i think Lee will go to Tokyo, i hope, deserve it more than Ramos or Fix. MY OPINION!! But we'll see what will happen. At the 2016 Olympics we saw Daniel Dennis, not the best option for the Olympics. In OTT there are mystical things. Strange things. Many no deserve guys make OTT 

"USA B team member starting for Russian team"

Come on!! i know you so good, i see you for 3 years in this board, very good troll! know very good psychology of people. About Fix and Lee, i think Lee will go to Tokyo, i hope, deserve it more than Ramos or Fix. MY OPINION!! But we'll see what will happen. At the 2016 Olympics we saw Daniel Dennis, not the best option for the Olympics. In OTT there are mystical things. Strange things. Many no deserve guys make OTT 

Abdullah you're talking about today.  I would like to see it one day before I die.  That could tomorrow, it could in 10 years.   I know I'm not making it to 90, too much Vodka and chicken wings diet.    No, Dennis is not B team, he is A team and no Dennis will not represent Russia.    If we find someone who likes cold weather and cannot make USA a team, maybe he makes B team and he goes to Russia.   I'd love to see it.      I wouldn't mind seeing the same from Russia. 

If *hypothetically* Spencer Lee was allowed to wrestle for France's national team, wouldn't it interfere with his college wrestling? Aka, is there enough time between NCAAs and Worlds for him to qualify his weight for France?