• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 JerseyJoey

JerseyJoey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

What are you talking about? In NJ we have tots, bantams, midgets, juniors and intermediates. Divisions are based on age. On middle school teams you might see 6th graders wrestling 8th graders but generally that’s because their coaches know they can handle it. You don’t see 3rd graders wrestling 6th graders.

At states and tourneys yes. But not in leagues which is where the majority of rec wrestlers compete. Leagues like Tri County, North Jersey, North West Jersey, Central Jersey, raritan valley, Grade School etc are not age based. It just goes by weight class. I see 3rd graders wrestling 6th graders all the time. In the K-8 leagues it’s not uncommon to see big 4th graders wrestling middle school kids. I actually don’t know that I’ve ever seen a rec league dual that DIDNT have a few matches like that.

Edited by JerseyJoey, 22 May 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#82 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

My son wrestled in tri county and was a midget and wrestled other midgets all season through the tri county tournament. 9-10 year olds. Two years before he was a bantam. Don’t know where you’re getting your info.

#83 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

My son wrestled in tri county and was a midget and wrestled other midgets all season through the tri county tournament. 9-10 year olds. Two years before he was a bantam. Don’t know where you’re getting your info.

They prefer to be called Little People.
  • JHRoseWrestling likes this

#84 JerseyJoey

JerseyJoey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Most leagues don’t work like that. We participated in Northwest and in North Jersey and I can tell you unequivocally they do not. Age is never brought up. It is extremely common for kids to wrestle opponents 3-4 years older. There is one year end tourney regardless of age. I would rather not discuss specific kids names on here but you truly don’t know what you are talking about. Go look at 80 pounds for example in Northwest Jersey and you will see 6th grade kids that won matches at the states who wrestled 2nd and 3rd graders. Look at heavyweight in North Jersey and you will see a 4th grader who wrestled multiple 8th graders. This happens all the time. You are just wrong.

Edited by JerseyJoey, 22 May 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#85 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,604 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

Most leagues don’t work like that. We participated in Northwest and in North Jersey and I can tell you unequivocally they do not. Age is never brought up. It is extremely common for kids to wrestle opponents 3-4 years older. There is one year end tourney regardless of age. I would rather not discuss specific kids names on here but you truly don’t know what you are talking about. Go look at 80 pounds for example in Northwest Jersey and you will see 6th grade kids that won matches at the states who wrestled 2nd and 3rd graders. Look at heavyweight in North Jersey and you will see a 4th grader who wrestled multiple 8th graders. This happens all the time. You are just wrong.

Not sure how other leagues work but you mentioned tri county and I know there are divisions. I see a lot of k-8 duals which I assume are run similarly to the leagues you’re describing with like a 45 lb weight through 160. Not a big fan of those either. Agree with you it should be based on age just like we have in my area.

#86 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

I wonder what the legal implications are if a 4th grader gets injured wrestling an 8th grader, never mind the ethical implications.

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users