Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Who was the worst...

Slay had an incredible tourney, even losing the finals, it was incredible.  To be even with Saitiev at the end of regulation must have been a motivator.  He knew he could do it, kept pounding Saitiev on the head just like the rest of the match and then took his shot.  Beautiful!  

He had a dream year that year. 

mspart

Or that the Russians know how our trials works and we don't just pick our guy and send him.  We've left guys home who could have won world/Olympic medals because they happened to run into somebody at the trials who was a bad matchup for them, or just got hot at the right time.  McCoy beat Neal, but Neal was a world champion already and the best McCoy ever did was a silver in 2003.  Hazewinkel beat Simmons who was 5th at worlds the year before and had beaten defending Olympic champ Cejudo.  I think Simmons would have done better.  Les Gutches lost to Charles Burton who still nearly medaled anyway.  The Russians know how unpredictable our system at the time was, and how it means whoever did well at one high stakes event got the Olympic team spot.  I really don't think Saitiev took Slay as a threat but realized that he was in trouble pretty soon and had to wrestle from a position of being behind that he wasn't used to being in very often.  

Burton beat Gutches because Gutches had a back issue that was killing him.  A healthy Gutches would have been at the Olympics that year.

mspart

PS - Yes, I'm a homer from the Pacific Northwest. 

Edited by mspart

Burton beat Gutches because Gutches had a back issue that was killing him.  A healthy Gutches would have been at the Olympics that year.

mspart

PS - Yes, I'm a homer from the Pacific Northwest. 

Gutches won the Open that year though.  Burton had a great tournament too. I think he beat Van Arsdale and Sanderson.  

Karelin was at the end of his career, but Satiev went on to win two more Olympics. Slay was definitely the bigger upset of the two. That's why I ranked Slay ahead of Gilman, who has yet to beat anyone of note.

I recall when seeing Slay's draw at the Games...well thanks for playing man but you're toast. 

In my book a bigger upset than Rulon beating Karelin.  

Two of the big 3 upsets over defending world champions from Russia were in Greco that year. 

Or that the Russians know how our trials works and we don't just pick our guy and send him.  We've left guys home who could have won world/Olympic medals because they happened to run into somebody at the trials who was a bad matchup for them, or just got hot at the right time.  McCoy beat Neal, but Neal was a world champion already and the best McCoy ever did was a silver in 2003.  Hazewinkel beat Simmons who was 5th at worlds the year before and had beaten defending Olympic champ Cejudo.  I think Simmons would have done better.  Les Gutches lost to Charles Burton who still nearly medaled anyway.  The Russians know how unpredictable our system at the time was, and how it means whoever did well at one high stakes event got the Olympic team spot.  I really don't think Saitiev took Slay as a threat but realized that he was in trouble pretty soon and had to wrestle from a position of being behind that he wasn't used to being in very often.  

Simmons was a 0X medalist.  I think he only made 1 world team.  He never medaled in a world age level event.  There are plenty of examples where the "wrong" guy went, but that isn't one of them.  Simmons couldn't score off his own offense (or even try his own offense for that matter), so there was no way he was going to string enough wins together at a world tournament by counter choking guys.  Hazewinkel and him were on very similar levels.