Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingphish

No Spencer Lee at WTT

He will return to competition in July and will be competing in some International tournaments this summer.

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2018/5/11/wrestling-spencer-lee-will-not-compete-at-2018-world-team-trials.aspx

It all makes sense now. Him calling in that transfer question to FRL seems like a cry for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Buckxell

He could have gotten hurt, but it really could have been that he just wasn't mentally ready. He's been through a lot over the last year, its not even a question of if he's good enough to make the team, the question is if he won, could he handle the preparation for worlds, competing, and then rolling into the preseason at Iowa again. If you walk it back all the way to the injury.....thats almost 2 years of stress/grind.

He could have gotten hurt, but it really could have been that he just wasn't mentally ready. He's been through a lot over the last year, its not even a question of if he's good enough to make the team, the question is if he won, could he handle the preparation for worlds, competing, and then rolling into the preseason at Iowa again. If you walk it back all the way to the injury.....thats almost 2 years of stress/grind.

I gotta think its this, as well as some of the other guys we're not seeing this summer. They are thinking longevity of their careers. Which is a good thing. Athletes are more able to make a comfortable living while continuing to compete longer in their years. Again, a good thing.

I guess the "intergallactic" strategy has been modified to "let Gilman alone."

I like Brands, but it doesn't look like he is leading his men into intergallactic battles in deep space or Minnesota.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

I can see the purpose behind giving this guy a breather--a very grueling run for him coming off redshirt and then winning NCAA.  But it falls apart for me when they then say he's going to do some meets on the Euro circuit.  I'm guessing they've devised a long-range plan for 2020 that builds to WTT in 2019 and then OTT in 2020?

I can see the purpose behind giving this guy a breather--a very grueling run for him coming off redshirt and then winning NCAA.  But it falls apart for me when they then say he's going to do some meets on the Euro circuit.  I'm guessing they've devised a long-range plan for 2020 that builds to WTT in 2019 and then OTT in 2020?

now he is Iowa state wrestler, he won't good like before. Focus only in folkstyle 

:c 

I was gonna post the same thing too when this thread first came out.  :)

Yeah would have been cool if Spencer entered, but if the kid needs time to rest and recover, by all means.

Not that it's any of my business but my question is -  did Spencer himself want to enter the seniors? Is this a coaching decision? Or is it Spencer's decision to sit it out?

Its obvious that Lee has started regressing in the iowa room. He would have no chance at gilman, and if he went juniors it would be to obvious that he got worse! Totally kidding, sucks he wont go juniors but I'm sure they have a plan

I was literally just reading a WIN Interview with Dan Gable that may give some insight, assuming that he and Brands likely have almost a sort of Vulcan mind-meld lol.  He was saying that he felt it did not make sense for Lee and Yanni to compete for World Title titles while they were still in college- basically that it would be too much to have to peak at such a high level twice a year and would lead to burnout.  I think this may be sort of a Hawkeye thing- neither of the Brands brothers really attempted to compete in freestyle until after they finished their college careers (Tom did try out in 1991 I think)..... and I can't recall many of their guys that later made a world team over the years making much of a push for the world team while they were still in college (thinking of Joe Williams, the Zadick's, Schwab, Lincoln, the Banachs etc). Lewboo being the exception and Lincoln might have tried out once as well in college, but it seems like more the exception than the rule.

Of course, the awkwardness of their super frosh possibly knocking off their World Medalist has got to be a factor. 

I was literally just reading a WIN Interview with Dan Gable that may give some insight, assuming that he and Brands likely have almost a sort of Vulcan mind-meld lol.  He was saying that he felt it did not make sense for Lee and Yanni to compete for World Title titles while they were still in college- basically that it would be too much to have to peak at such a high level twice a year and would lead to burnout.  I think this may be sort of a Hawkeye thing- neither of the Brands brothers really attempted to compete in freestyle until after they finished their college careers (Tom did try out in 1991 I think)..... and I can't recall many of their guys that later made a world team over the years making much of a push for the world team while they were still in college (thinking of Joe Williams, the Zadick's, Schwab, Lincoln, the Banachs etc). Lewboo being the exception and Lincoln might have tried out once as well in college, but it seems like more the exception than the rule.

Of course, the awkwardness of their super frosh possibly knocking off their World Medalist has got to be a factor. 

Lincoln definitely tried out while in college - he RS in 1996 in an attempt to make the Olympic team.  I believe he lost to Pat Santoro in the challenge tournament finals who then lost to Saunders in the best of 3 Finals. Also Barry Davis made the Olympic team during a RS season in 1984.  Your general point does seem to be right though.  It seems that the majority of the Hawkeyes wait to start their senior careers until after college. I think this will be a mistake if Spencer Lee does that.  Hopefully, this year is just due to his coaches thinking he needs to rest.

Edited by lu1979

Well I understand saving your wrestler from being overworked, which I think is a very real concern especially in light of some of these guys we see as four year starters who seem to be running on fumes in their senior year struggling to get to the finish line.

But when you see SnyderMan, it makes you wonder. Yes I get it that Kyle is unique, but still makes me wonder if others are capable of accomplishing the same feat.

Another scenario to ponder is what if Fix goes on to dethrone Gilman next month and subsequently goes on win a medal or title come October at the World's, does this cause coaches to rethink their strategy?

Lastly what is of greater value, a NCAA title or AA honor, or a Senior level World medal or title?