Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingphish

No Spencer Lee at WTT

I was gonna post the same thing too when this thread first came out. :)

Yeah would have been cool if Spencer entered, but if the kid needs time to rest and recover, by all means.

Not that it's any of my business but my question is - did Spencer himself want to enter the seniors? Is this a coaching decision? Or is it Spencer's decision to sit it out?

The Iowa coaching staff, at the lighter weights, have been there and done that. World Championships. Olympic medals. Many world placers. I get the feeling Lee is following the instructions of his coaches. When it comes to lighter weight international wrestlers they are top notch.

Plenty of time for Spencer to make his mark. He probably needs so more muscle to compete for a World Medal or maybe not. His real strength in folkstyle is on top. Not sure how that will translate to the big boys in Freestyle. I'm just really psyched to see Fix and Lee in the years to come.

Well I understand saving your wrestler from being overworked, which I think is a very real concern especially in light of some of these guys we see as four year starters who seem to be running on fumes in their senior year struggling to get to the finish line.

But when you see SnyderMan, it makes you wonder. Yes I get it that Kyle is unique, but still makes me wonder if others are capable of accomplishing the same feat.

Another scenario to ponder is what if Fix goes on to dethrone Gilman next month and subsequently goes on win a medal or title come October at the World's, does this cause coaches to rethink their strategy?

Lastly what is of greater value, a NCAA title or AA honor, or a Senior level World medal or title?

Snyder only works as a comp if Lee plans on wrestling less than half of Iowa's matches.  

You can deal with extreme workload by taking time off in the summer or by skipping half of the season.  Each coach and wrestler can solve that puzzle how they see fit.