Photo

If Snyder and Burroughs win world gold this year...

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:37 AM

What does your all time best American freestyler list look like?

1. Smith still or Burroughs? Burroughs would be tied for world golds, have more medal but “only” 1 Olympic gold and he didn’t win them all in a row.

2. Baumgartner or Snyder? Baumgartner has 13 medals, 4 at the Olympics and 2 Olympic golds. Crazy. Snyder would have 4 world golds in a row, including an Olympic gold, plus a finals win (maybe 2) over a legend.

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:02 AM

Smith gets the edge with 2 Olympic Golds. Baumgartner over Snyder until Snyder gets to 5. I would give the edge to Snyder at that point because of the wins over Sad and the 84 boycott.

#3 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:34 AM

Burroughs because Smith lost to reinoso during his run of 6.

#4 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:03 AM

Smith because he won them consecutively. Reinoso lost earlier in the pool to a Unified Team member that Smith teched. Funny how style match ups create that situation.
  • GranbyTroll and Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin like this

#5 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

What does your all time best American freestyler list look like?

1. Smith still or Burroughs? Burroughs would be tied for world golds, have more medal but “only” 1 Olympic gold and he didn’t win them all in a row.

2. Baumgartner or Snyder? Baumgartner has 13 medals, 4 at the Olympics and 2 Olympic golds. Crazy. Snyder would have 4 world golds in a row, including an Olympic gold, plus a finals win (maybe 2) over a legend.

Still, Smith and Bruce are better than present wrestlers. 

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#6 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

I would agree with that. Bruce went 15 years with no domestic losses.

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Smith over everyone, 6 in a roll, two gold. JB and Baumgartner if JB wins is tough. Snyder as mentioned needs one more then 5 in a roll puts him just behind Smith.

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Re: Smith and the 92 Olympics, he had staph that year. Bad. Head swollen, lost hair, fatigue, all that nasty stuff. It was tough to get good training in. His wrestling was off. Dang near didn't make the team. Gutted out some nerve wracking wins in the games and then just decimated the Russian. Might have been his best performance ever. Reynosa was his last match in the pool. He didn't need to win it, just not get tech'd or pinned. He obviously wasn't trying to lose but he knew he pretty much had it locked so after all the drama he probably wasn't as focused as normal and looking to the finals. Poor Asgari, gets Belaglasov then Smith in Olympic finals. That is rough.

Edited by sgallan, 13 May 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#9 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

In the 1988 Olympics there were 10 weights. In the 2016 Olympics there were 6 weights. In 1988 there was 1 Russian in the brackets. In 2016 there were like 6. The answer to this question is Jordan Ernest Burroughs.
  • Grecojones, JHRoseWrestling, JerseyJoey and 1 other like this

#10 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

I would agree with that. Bruce went 15 years with no domestic losses.

Out of curiosity, did he retire with that streak? 

#11 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

Out of curiosity, did he retire with that streak? 

As far as I know he did. He was beating Neal pretty handily leading up to the 96 games and his biggest threat was probably Erickson who at some points was probably the 2nd best heavyweight in the world.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#12 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Erickson was never a threat to Baumgartner. He lost to Baumgartner 2-3 times a year for a decade or so. It was Dake versus Taylor squared. Not only was Baumgartner better, but Eirckson didn't match up styles wise either. Given Erickson was a world class wrestler in his own right the domination was absurd.

#13 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

In the 1988 Olympics there were 10 weights. In the 2016 Olympics there were 6 weights. In 1988 there was 1 Russian in the brackets. In 2016 there were like 6. The answer to this question is Jordan Ernest Burroughs.

Dumb American troll makes a stupid post. Thanks for representing.

#14 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Up to 1992 we had a pool system and had to wrestle more matches to win the Olympics finalists often wrestled as many as 7 matches sometimes 8 to win the gold. Smith was something special.

#15 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Dumb American troll makes a stupid post. Thanks for representing.

How is it stupid?  Do you deny that it's harder to win world titles now then it was in 1988?  

I'm no troll.  I thought you were done with wrestling.  Just can't help yourself can you?

#16 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

I think 1992 was harder in that you had to grind through more matches.

#17 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

I think 1992 was harder in that you had to grind through more matches.

Yeah more matches vs countries that aren't that good at wrestling.

#18 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

You are welcome to your opinion. Different eras, with an unprovable supposition. I actually would put Kenny Monday at his peak above Burroughs at his peak. Of course Burroughs has more hardware.
  • Cletus_Tucker likes this

#19 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

How is it stupid?  Do you deny that it's harder to win world titles now then it was in 1988?  

I'm no troll.  I thought you were done with wrestling.  Just can't help yourself can you?

Do you deny that winning more and losing less is a good thing?  Do you deny that winning gold in the Olympics twice is better than 1 gold and 1 DNP?  

Only with an agenda can you make 6 for 6 gold medals with 2 olympic titles worse than 6 for 8 gold medals with 1 olympic win.

#20 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

No agenda, I just consider the competition a pretty big factor in evaluating who’s the best. 6 weights compared to 10 is a huge deal. As is having multiple Russians in your weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users