Housebuye

If Snyder and Burroughs win world gold this year...

I would say Bruce is ahead of Smith just due to consistency and longevity.  But not by much. The length of his wrestling career with the consistency of medaling, I think he went 13 for 15, is pretty damn good.  Also without a loss to domestic competition.  

Best is the guy who wrestles best. I think you can do that by examining how wide the victory is. A guy who techs and smashes everyone but only has 1 world title, he's the best. The guy with 8 world titles is the greatest, even if he won all his bouts 1-0.

Karelin went 13 years unbeaten and won the gold at all the events. He demolished opponets who often times just wanted to get out of there. He's your greatest by sheer volume of titles. He gets my vote for best as well due to his dominance. No one could score on him. He destroyed so many opponents. Lets talk USA..

There's no one I saw it do it better than Smith. He had the unstopable take down. He had the lowshot and the high crotch. He could scramnle and he could turn from top. Just looking at his technique and his physical gifts, he was the best, Better than Schultz. He was is also the greatest due to resume (up for debate with Baumgartner). Now lets say you give it to Big Bruce. There's no way to call him the best, but he's right there for greatest. Again, how well do you actually werestle, vs how stacked is your resume.

It's not exact science and not all of it is tangible. The resume is pretty black and white. The "best" that's up to you who you think is better, even if you're not aware of the resume.

Burroughs looks to be one of our top 5 guys. Monday was pretty damn incredible at a time. Smith and Schultz have been mentioned. Carr. It's a short list the guys considered best USA wrestlers. Remove the medals and answer for yourself who was the best wrestler. It really is as simple as that.

Fair enough. I use different criteria. There isn’t one right answer unless we agree on the criteria.

I would say Bruce is ahead of Smith just due to consistency and longevity. But not by much. The length of his wrestling career with the consistency of medaling, I think he went 13 for 15, is pretty damn good. Also without a loss to domestic competition.

Given this standard he is better than every wrestler in FS save Medeved (and perhaps Satiev). He was great but no, he is not the second or third greatest FS wrestler of all time. That is absurd. There is 7 or 8 wrestlers on that list and nobody other than the random American would have Baumgartner there.

Given this standard he is better than every wrestler in FS save Medeved (and perhaps Satiev). He was great but no, he is not the second or third greatest FS wrestler of all time. That is absurd. There is 7 or 8 wrestlers on that list and nobody other than the random American would have Baumgartner there.

I'm just talking about Americans.