Sign in to follow this  
buckshot1969

Edmond Ruth

Yes there is:

The trophy is awarded based on seven criteria:[1][2] 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

Yeah. It's a popularity contest with extended criteria. A meaningless award.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Taylor had more pins than Ruth that year (15 to 10), more tech falls (10 to 7), a better record

(34-0 to 32-0) & a higher bonus rate (94.1% to 84.4%). Taylor outscored him at B1Gs (24.5 to 22) and at NCAAs (30.5 to 27.5).

You would have had to ignore every single Hodge criteria to give the award to Ruth instead of Taylor that year.

But, you could make a pretty compelling argument that Ruth's weight class was CONSIDERABLY more difficult to navigate than Taylor's that season.

Ruth had Amuch, Perry, Blanton, Heflin, Storley, Lofthouse and DesRoches, along with Sheptock, Zeerip, Munster and Henderson.

Taylor had Hatchett, Bekzod, Blevins, Yates, Asper, Ben Jordan, Polz, Onufer, Gillespie along with over cutting Kokesh and Evans.

Pretty wide gap between the 2.

I would agree with you on Ackerman who I believe was a CO-winner while Metcalf was much more dominate in his season but had one loss.

Gavin was so dominant not only did he go the season as an undefeated NCAA champion, he didn't get pinned like Metcalf did against Caldwell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

More credit from whom? If your answer is Penn State, can you provide a few examples?

More credit from PSU and it's fans (generally). Taylor always seemed the more acclaimed, always seemed to be getting the love from the media. For every thread about Ed Ruth I bet there were 10 for David Taylor in this forum.

Edited by TobusRex

No credible evidence exists that Ruth and his family are so petty that they are using relative popularity as a guideline for Edmonds' college choice. Kind of insulting to them IMHO. Even if true and they do perceive some slight, some thrive in legacy situations, some want to make a new path. Whichever works for young Ruth is OK for this and most other hugely appreciative PSU and Ed Ruth fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

More credit from PSU and it's fans (generally). Taylor always seemed the more acclaimed, always seemed to be getting the love from the media. For every thread about Ed Ruth I bet there were 10 for David Taylor in this forum.

"More credit from PSU ..."  

I asked for a few examples, but I'll settle for one ... 

In Taylor's defense, he didn't literally drive his car into a Taco Bell in the "wee hours of the morning"!

On the mat, I always favored Ruth.  But, Taylor definitely put forth the poster boy image that most programs would die for!

In Taylor's defense, he didn't literally drive his car into a Taco Bell in the "wee hours of the morning"!

On the mat, I always favored Ruth.  But, Taylor definitely put forth the poster boy image that most programs would die for!

Taylor was always pushing for more points, bigger wins, falls. Ruth wasn't nearly as ruthless as Taylor was and seemed, to me at least, lackadaisical at times. I never saw that from Taylor. Ruth relied on lazy talent sometimes.