http://amp.newsobser...e211088294.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Glane18

Glane18

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:57 AM

Yes, please!  Easy flights, a million hotels and a million forms of entertainment in between sessions.  Warm (possibly hot).  Pools.  The list can go on.  Plus, Vegas has become very family-oriented as well.  So, if there are people there for some good restaurants, family entertainment, etc., they can definitely go there and get the best of that type of world in.  

• TobusRex likes this

#3 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

Yes, please! Easy flights, a million hotels and a million forms of entertainment in between sessions. Warm (possibly hot). Pools. The list can go on. Plus, Vegas has become very family-oriented as well. So, if there are people there for some good restaurants, family entertainment, etc., they can definitely go there and get the best of that type of world in.

Does Nevada have a D1 program?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • rjs likes this

#4 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

Now all they need is the CVB to put in a bid for the next cycle. That's the key - city/CVB has to want it first. Then it's about the venue. It's unlikely the Thomas & Mack Center will do, since the NCAA won't go back to on-campus locations for this NCAA championship. T-Mobile Arena, where the Vegas Golden Knights play, would have to be scheduled around hockey, but it appears their floorspace and seating COULD be possible.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#5 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

Now all they need is the CVB to put in a bid for the next cycle. That's the key - city/CVB has to want it first. Then it's about the venue. It's unlikely the Thomas & Mack Center will do, since the NCAA won't go back to on-campus locations for this NCAA championship. T-Mobile Arena, where the Vegas Golden Knights play, would have to be scheduled around hockey, but it appears their floorspace and seating COULD be possible.

I was thinking T-Mobile. But, depending on how Minneapolis goes in 2020, don’t forget about the Raiders new stadium.

#6 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Raiders ... they haven't been relegated to one of those two new leagues yet? 

www.mattalkonline.com

#7 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

Raiders ... they haven't been relegated to one of those two new leagues yet?

Don’t really care about how well they play, as long as they complete construction on the stadium.

#8 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Too expensive for the standard family that would be in attendance watching their son(s). I would also imagine most AD's have heart attacks just thinking about an extended Vegas trip becoming a reality.

#9 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Too expensive for the standard family that would be in attendance watching their son(s). I would also imagine most AD's have heart attacks just thinking about an extended Vegas trip becoming a reality.

How can Vegas be too expensive, when you can get hotel rooms for less than $100 per night on Wed-Thur. Stay off-strip and you can average between $100-125 per night for Wed through Sat nights. Heck, you can even save the Saturday night hotel bill if you take a redeye after finals - something you can’t do at eastern/midwestern locations.

#10 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

It's certainly less expensive than New York.  Realistically it's not much more expensive than St. Louis, for most people.  You can find flights to Vegas for under ~$400 from just about anywhere in the US, and hotels are dirt cheap, plus there's no issues with capacity around the time of the tournament.  

Then you factor in your gambling winnings and you're probably already back in the black...

• LordNelson and John Coctostan like this

#11 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

I've been to the last 17 NCAA Division I championships and it seems like the fanbase only likes places they can drive to within eight hours and they hate mass transit. Philly and NYC were pretty simple in terms of the mass transit. There wasn't much in Philly in terms of walking to the venue from your hotel, which peeved people off who were so used to driving to the arena or staying next door and walking half a mile. 

The sport's love-hate relationship with Vegas is one of the biggest contradictions. Save the NCAA's stance on gambling, for every Vegas positive, there's proof with a Vegas negative in terms of attendance. One of the best college wrestling events in the country is in Las Vegas with the CKLV. The attendance is absolutely poor. Midlands and Scuffle draw better -- oh wait, people DRIVE. Cheap flights and cheap hotels don't work for one of the top three individual tournament events outside of the NCAA Championships. 

Vegas would be fine for the NCAA's, for all the reasons we've touted for years. People will also complain, because they can't drive. (Except the ones in Arizona and Southern California). 

www.mattalkonline.com

#12 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

Vegas would be fine for the NCAA's, for all the reasons we've touted for years. People will also complain, because they can't drive. (Except the ones in Arizona and Southern California). 

And as an added bonus... wrestling fans in the southwest get their tournament.  IMO it's a great idea in theory but as you said the onus is on Vegas to put in an attractive bid.  

#13 CB

CB

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Side note, LV has been the host city for the last handful of PAC-12 mens hoops tournaments. 

So as I understand the ruling.  Supreme Court made sports betting legal anywhere?  So its an individual state lotto decision now?

Does the NCAA need to change its policy (be less restrictive) to allow cities/states to host that also have sports betting?

#14 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

The court ruling is a game changer. Las Vegas may be worth the risk. The D1 Championships is on a roll. Great attendance and great reviews. Some will say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’d hate to go back to the days when the arena was only 50-75% full. The decision should be based on what will help grow the sport. I’d like to know how NWCA Executive Director, Mike Moyer feels about Las Vegas.

#15 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Plus, Vegas has become very family-oriented as well.  

admit it's been a while since I walked the strip but the x rated flyer hand out scene wasn't exactly family friendly. that changed?

#16 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

Vegas doesn't want a bunch of broke-ass, flannel-wearing assistant high school wrestling coaches at their tables and nightclubs.

Edited by Fletcher, 14 May 2018 - 08:58 AM.

• southend, bennythejetrodriguez and Greatdane67 like this

#17 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Vegas doesn't want a bunch of broke-ass, flannel-wearing assistant high school wrestling coaches at their tables and nightclubs.

You forget about all the old ex wrestlers who actually have disposable income and a willingness to travel.

Edited by TobusRex, 14 May 2018 - 09:47 AM.

#18 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

What's the difference between what you just described and the rodeo fans that come to my city multiple times per year?  Broke-ass, flannel wearing...

#19 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

I've been to the last 17 NCAA Division I championships and it seems like the fanbase only likes places they can drive to within eight hours and they hate mass transit. Philly and NYC were pretty simple in terms of the mass transit. There wasn't much in Philly in terms of walking to the venue from your hotel, which peeved people off who were so used to driving to the arena or staying next door and walking half a mile. 

The sport's love-hate relationship with Vegas is one of the biggest contradictions. Save the NCAA's stance on gambling, for every Vegas positive, there's proof with a Vegas negative in terms of attendance. One of the best college wrestling events in the country is in Las Vegas with the CKLV. The attendance is absolutely poor. Midlands and Scuffle draw better -- oh wait, people DRIVE. Cheap flights and cheap hotels don't work for one of the top three individual tournament events outside of the NCAA Championships. 

I was going to use the US open... poorly attended in vegas... or am i wrong.

but I agree with your post.

#20 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Always poorly attended, but it was worse in Cleveland, one of wrestling’s hotbeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

www.mattalkonline.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users