Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

NCAAs in Vegas?

As a person who has to travel far no matter where National's are held I think Vegas would be a GREAT place to hold the meet. Those saying costs would be too high........... only if you have to stay on the strip....... even then Circus Circus has double queen for about $100.

I payed LOTS more in recent cities. You certainly won't find more entertainment, food, and drink options elsewhere.

Edit: AND.........it needs to be out west occasionally.

Edited by AKHUNTER

There are arguments against Vegas, but costs are not one of them. Vegas supports all budgets, in either direction.

The biggest argument against is the Time Zone and what that does to TV scheduling.

Another factor to consider, could be pro/con depending on perspective, is that Weekend is already one of the biggest weekends of the year in Vegas due to it being the first weekend of March madness. Vegas can certainly handle the added visitors, but it would make for a very crowded and busy weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a person who has to travel far no matter where National's are held I think Vegas would be a GREAT place to hold the meet. Those saying costs would be too high........... only if you have to stay on the strip....... even then Circus Circus has double queen for about $100.

I payed LOTS more in recent cities. You certainly won't find more entertainment, food, and drink options elsewhere.

Agreed.  I pay more to fly to Iowa, Cleveland, Minnesota than I would Vegas.  Hotels in Vegas are definitely cheaper too. 

I am a West Coaster who has been to Vegas for more tournaments than I can count.

NCAAs in Vegas:  For the love of everything good in this world, NO. 

Don't let the historical lore fool you. Vegas is not cheap. Meals are incredibly expensive, or absolutely terrible.  Nightlife is even more expensive.  Sure, you can get some deals on lodging at a place like Circus Circus, but the cab fare to get down to the T Mobile will negate that savings. 

Every time we take kids to Vegas tournaments, there is at least one kid who runs out of cash half-way through the trip because his parents would not believe me when I told them how much money they needed. I just had this conversation with a parent last weekend.  The place is designed to suck money out of you, and it is designed very very well.

I get the argument that it needs to be on the West Coast every once in a while, but the west coast is a big place. I cannot drive from Oregon to Las Vegas the same way someone can drive from Cleveland to St. Louis.

I guess as a novelty location once in a great while it would be ok. 

Not sure I follow though... 18k is about the size NCAA's are held at every year.  That's approx. the same size as Quicken Loans, Wells Fargo Arena, Scottrade...

TMobile is 17.5 for hockey (I used bball first - hockey is better since you can't really use the main floor)

Q = 20

WF= 19.5

Scottrade=18.7

Those are the hockey figures which are a little higher than NCAA capacity since you have to steal seats for head table

I wouldn't mind seeing NCAAs in Vegas.

Regarding CIrcus Circus: I think I'd rather sleep in the street!

TMobile is 17.5 for hockey (I used bball first - hockey is better since you can't really use the main floor)

Q = 20

WF= 19.5

Scottrade=18.7

Those are the hockey figures which are a little higher than NCAA capacity since you have to steal seats for head table

Is this big enough?  If the Minneapolis event works well in 2020, don't be surprised if all future sites are domed stadiums.

Cleveland showed that you don't have to steal so many seats for a head table, by putting it in the end zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Stadium

Tenants and events[edit]

The stadium will replace Sam Boyd Stadium and will serve as the home of both the Raiders and the UNLV Rebels football program. In addition, it will host the annual Las Vegas Bowl.[61]

Stadium backers project 20 to 25 additional events per year, with plausible possibilities including the Super Bowl, the Pro Bowl, the NFL Draft, the NCAA Final Four, the USA Sevens rugby tournament, the Monster Jam World Finals, boxing matches, Ultimate Fighting Championship events, the Pac-12 Football Championship Game, neutral-site college football games, international soccer matches, concerts, and corporate shows.[62][63][64]

David Beckham visited Las Vegas in 2016 to advocate for the stadium as a possible home for his Major League Soccer expansion team,[65] although he ultimately announced the launch of the team with a stadium in Miami.[66]

In August 2017, the Raiders, along with the city and the state, submitted a bid to the Canada-Mexico-United States World Cup bid committee to be considered as a site for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. If the three nations are chosen to host the World Cup, the stadium would be in the running to be one of at least 12 venues for the tournament.[67]

Edited by lu_alum

I am a West Coaster who has been to Vegas for more tournaments than I can count.

NCAAs in Vegas:  For the love of everything good in this world, NO. 

Don't let the historical lore fool you. Vegas is not cheap. Meals are incredibly expensive, or absolutely terrible.  Nightlife is even more expensive.  Sure, you can get some deals on lodging at a place like Circus Circus, but the cab fare to get down to the T Mobile will negate that savings. 

Every time we take kids to Vegas tournaments, there is at least one kid who runs out of cash half-way through the trip because his parents would not believe me when I told them how much money they needed. I just had this conversation with a parent last weekend.  The place is designed to suck money out of you, and it is designed very very well.

I get the argument that it needs to be on the West Coast every once in a while, but the west coast is a big place. I cannot drive from Oregon to Las Vegas the same way someone can drive from Cleveland to St. Louis.

I guess as a novelty location once in a great while it would be ok. 

certainly if you use money poorly Vegas WILL get your dollars........ on ANY wrestling trip I had kids run out of money and had to feed them. You need to be better at taking kids where food is inexpensive and decent.........those places are many.

Las Vegas is warm. Damned hot much of the year. Death Valley is a couple hours drive. Valley of Fire and Red Rocks Park and Mt. Charleston with a ski area close by.

A lot of options on every price level for lodging.

If they held it in the new Raiders stadium it would be interesting to see. Hot or cold out you will be inside and comfortable. Shuttle buses could run from motels with package deals and help keep cost down.

As for driving - a nice cross country trip through the desert is a good time. Open space and clean skies as you cruise mile after mile.

But, isn't the real question "will Suriano be happy in Vegas"?

Edited by WillieBoy

All locations have their pluses and minuses.  I have been to more than 20 NCAA championships and location is never a consideration.  I would like to know or understand how many of the attendees are like me and will go wherever.  I think the number is significant.  Maybe 50%?  By moving the location it gives others the opportunity to attend this great event and then possibly deciding to attend in the future.  Plus we need to get to the younger generation.

Edited by PAFAN01

Too many people would be sad after looking at their statement in April. I love Vegas, I live in an awesome expensive city, and have significantly more disposable income than the average American, and I play with financial data for a living with at least one conference per year in Vegas in addition to personal adventures, and it's still every bit as expensive as when I do NYC or LA and I have to be cautious. Imagine how the average family that is paying for tuition, has family expenses, has to bring 2-4 others along, and has other tuitions coming up must feel. I stand by what I said and will even double down: I am willing to bet my paycheck that if they held the NCAAs in Vegas once, they would never do it again. Lack of fan travel, horrible time of year (costs will be UP not down during March Madness - I know because I go each year with a group of friends), and people can't help but blow money. It's like Disney on steroids.

Edited by bnwtwg

I just read my post and realized i sound like a jackass. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging - I meant to come across that I am able to "enjoy Vegas" and it's super expensive, and I couldn't imagine placing the families of 330 people out there. It would be potentially awful financially for many familes.

Too many people would be sad after looking at their statement in April. I love Vegas, I live in an awesome expensive city, and have significantly more disposable income than the average American, and I play with financial data for a living with at least one conference per year in Vegas in addition to personal adventures, and it's still every bit as expensive as when I do NYC or LA and I have to be cautious. Imagine how the average family that is paying for tuition, has family expenses, has to bring 2-4 others along, and has other tuitions coming up must feel. I stand by what I said and will even double down: I am willing to bet my paycheck that if they held the NCAAs in Vegas once, they would never do it again. Lack of fan travel, horrible time of year (costs will be UP not down during March Madness - I know because I go each year with a group of friends), and people can't help but blow money. It's like Disney on steroids.

giphy.gif

How are people saying that Vegas would be too expensive? Is that just assuming you gamble your money away? Hotels and flights are cheaper than pretty much any other city. I stayed in a nice resort there for $40 a night! It's definitely not a family friendly place though.

I just read my post and realized i sound like a jackass. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging - I meant to come across that I am able to "enjoy Vegas" and it's super expensive, and I couldn't imagine placing the families of 330 people out there. It would be potentially awful financially for many familes.

you absolutely can spend as much money in Vegas as you allow yourself to spend. But inexpensive options are easily had....

Trex......... I didn't say I WOULD stay at Circus I was saying it's pretty cheap..........and on the strip. You would have plenty of company sleeping on the street

How are people saying that Vegas would be too expensive? Is that just assuming you gamble your money away? Hotels and flights are cheaper than pretty much any other city. I stayed in a nice resort there for $40 a night! It's definitely not a family friendly place though.

I can assure everybody here that flying to Vegas and getting rooms is much cheaper than flying somewhere back east and getting rooms. Vegas is literally built to handle metric **** tons of visitors at a time and has tens of thousands of rooms for rent daily. Regarding the venue: it's not like 25,000 people are going to be filling any auditorium to watch wrestling, at least not in the Western Hemisphere. Any of the 10,000+ seat auditoriums would work fine.

you absolutely can spend as much money in Vegas as you allow yourself to spend. But inexpensive options are easily had....

Trex......... I didn't say I WOULD stay at Circus I was saying it's pretty cheap..........and on the strip. You would have plenty of company sleeping on the street

Man, I got some bad Circus CIrcus stories for you. Stayed there twice when I was younger and didn't have much money. Ugh....

Good argument for Phoenix.......... I see a need for venues in the southern tier of states. Like warmer weather. MUCH less chance of flight issues.

You can take your pick of places to hold it in Phoenix. What would be really neat is if it was held at UofP stadium or Chase Field (since baseball won't start until later March), and open the roof to hold the finals at night.  Chase Field would be pretty cool because it is very open so you could put the mats in a lot of places for the preliminary rounds. What I think would be a good idea is if there was a dedicated bleacher section set up at each mat, and then an area for fans who wanted to watch from the other side standing so you could walk around from mat to mat depending on who was up, similar to how golf tournaments are if you follow a certain player or watch a certain player at a certain hole.  Then just gradually contract it as the tournament goes on and have the finals in the best place for the fans.