NCAAs in Vegas?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Too many people would be sad after looking at their statement in April. I love Vegas, I live in an awesome expensive city, and have significantly more disposable income than the average American, and I play with financial data for a living with at least one conference per year in Vegas in addition to personal adventures, and it's still every bit as expensive as when I do NYC or LA and I have to be cautious. Imagine how the average family that is paying for tuition, has family expenses, has to bring 2-4 others along, and has other tuitions coming up must feel. I stand by what I said and will even double down: I am willing to bet my paycheck that if they held the NCAAs in Vegas once, they would never do it again. Lack of fan travel, horrible time of year (costs will be UP not down during March Madness - I know because I go each year with a group of friends), and people can't help but blow money. It's like Disney on steroids.

Edited by bnwtwg, 15 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#42 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

I just read my post and realized i sound like a jackass. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging - I meant to come across that I am able to "enjoy Vegas" and it's super expensive, and I couldn't imagine placing the families of 330 people out there. It would be potentially awful financially for many familes.

#43 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Too many people would be sad after looking at their statement in April. I love Vegas, I live in an awesome expensive city, and have significantly more disposable income than the average American, and I play with financial data for a living with at least one conference per year in Vegas in addition to personal adventures, and it's still every bit as expensive as when I do NYC or LA and I have to be cautious. Imagine how the average family that is paying for tuition, has family expenses, has to bring 2-4 others along, and has other tuitions coming up must feel. I stand by what I said and will even double down: I am willing to bet my paycheck that if they held the NCAAs in Vegas once, they would never do it again. Lack of fan travel, horrible time of year (costs will be UP not down during March Madness - I know because I go each year with a group of friends), and people can't help but blow money. It's like Disney on steroids.

giphy.gif

#44 Greatdane67

Greatdane67

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

My wife already thinks it is in Vegas every other year. Shhhh...

• Alwayswrestling, Housebuye and Peso like this

#45 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

How are people saying that Vegas would be too expensive? Is that just assuming you gamble your money away? Hotels and flights are cheaper than pretty much any other city. I stayed in a nice resort there for $40 a night! It's definitely not a family friendly place though.

#46 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

I just read my post and realized i sound like a jackass. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging - I meant to come across that I am able to "enjoy Vegas" and it's super expensive, and I couldn't imagine placing the families of 330 people out there. It would be potentially awful financially for many familes.

you absolutely can spend as much money in Vegas as you allow yourself to spend. But inexpensive options are easily had....

Trex......... I didn't say I WOULD stay at Circus I was saying it's pretty cheap..........and on the strip. You would have plenty of company sleeping on the street

• TobusRex likes this

#47 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

How are people saying that Vegas would be too expensive? Is that just assuming you gamble your money away? Hotels and flights are cheaper than pretty much any other city. I stayed in a nice resort there for $40 a night! It's definitely not a family friendly place though.

I can assure everybody here that flying to Vegas and getting rooms is much cheaper than flying somewhere back east and getting rooms. Vegas is literally built to handle metric **** tons of visitors at a time and has tens of thousands of rooms for rent daily. Regarding the venue: it's not like 25,000 people are going to be filling any auditorium to watch wrestling, at least not in the Western Hemisphere. Any of the 10,000+ seat auditoriums would work fine.

#48 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

you absolutely can spend as much money in Vegas as you allow yourself to spend. But inexpensive options are easily had....

Trex......... I didn't say I WOULD stay at Circus I was saying it's pretty cheap..........and on the strip. You would have plenty of company sleeping on the street

Man, I got some bad Circus CIrcus stories for you. Stayed there twice when I was younger and didn't have much money. Ugh....

#49 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,194 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:55 AM

Good argument for Phoenix.......... I see a need for venues in the southern tier of states. Like warmer weather. MUCH less chance of flight issues.

You can take your pick of places to hold it in Phoenix. What would be really neat is if it was held at UofP stadium or Chase Field (since baseball won't start until later March), and open the roof to hold the finals at night.  Chase Field would be pretty cool because it is very open so you could put the mats in a lot of places for the preliminary rounds. What I think would be a good idea is if there was a dedicated bleacher section set up at each mat, and then an area for fans who wanted to watch from the other side standing so you could walk around from mat to mat depending on who was up, similar to how golf tournaments are if you follow a certain player or watch a certain player at a certain hole.  Then just gradually contract it as the tournament goes on and have the finals in the best place for the fans.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#50 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:17 AM

sounds like a pee wee tourney

#51 bnwtwg

bnwtwg
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

See above where I apologized for coming across as a rude, pompous jerk. I meant to imply, and did a poor job of doing so, that I work daily with personal finance and feel that I have a grasp both from a personal and professional perspective of why, in my opinion, Vegas is a bad idea for many families. Please accept my insincerest internet apology.

giphy.gif

#52 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

NCAA just paved a way to make it happen...
NCAA to allow championship events in states with sports gambling

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAxqrQ9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#53 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

All locations have their pluses and minuses. I have been to more than 20 NCAA championships and location is never a consideration. I would like to know or understand how many of the attendees are like me and will go wherever. I think the number is significant. Maybe 50%? By moving the location it gives others the opportunity to attend this great event and then possibly deciding to attend in the future. Plus we need to get to the younger generation.

I have been to every NCAA since 2000 and location is NEVER a consideration for my group of 6.

Some sites are better than others, more expensive than others (NYC), but I enjoy every one of them with no regrets.

In the early years, I was happy when St.Louis or KC hosted as travel was simplified for our group. My view on that has changed as I believe it is good for the sport & event to move around to different locations.

Looking forward to Pittsburgh & Minny. Don't feel strongly one way or the other about Vegas but would most certainly be there if they host.
  • Gantry and Show_Me like this

#54 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Vegas will not be bidding.

I remember seeing something that mentioned there wasn't an interest in bringing the first two rounds of the Men's basketball tournament to Vegas because the city is packed that weekend with college basketball fans that go to the city to bet on all four days of the first two rounds of NCAA basketball games.

That is the same weekend as NCAA wrestling.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#55 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

I have been to every NCAA since 2000 and location is NEVER a consideration for my group of 6.

Some sites are better than others, more expensive than others (NYC), but I enjoy every one of them with no regrets.

In the early years, I was happy when St.Louis or KC hosted as travel was simplified for our group. My view on that has changed as I believe it is good for the sport & event to move around to different locations.

Looking forward to Pittsburgh & Minny. Don't feel strongly one way or the other about Vegas but would most certainly be there if they host.

Ditto with everything you've said (same year in fact, every once since 2000) but with one caveat - don't ever go to Albany again.  #NeverForget

Vegas was SO FUN for Worlds, wouldn't mind going back. 

Edited by Gantry, 17 May 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#56 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

Vegas will not be bidding.

I remember seeing something that mentioned there wasn't an interest in bringing the first two rounds of the Men's basketball tournament to Vegas because the city is packed that weekend with college basketball fans that go to the city to bet on all four days of the first two rounds of NCAA basketball games.

That is the same weekend as NCAA wrestling.

You do realize that Vegas submitted a bid that included wrestling on the last cycle?

https://www.reviewjo...championships/ 

"NCAA president Mark Emmert said as much Thursday when he announced that a bid from Las Vegas Events for three championships — men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and wrestling — would not be considered for the upcoming cycle of awarding sites for championships when the Board of Governors meets April 25."

#57 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

You do realize that Vegas submitted a bid that included wrestling on the last cycle?
https://www.reviewjo...championships/ 

"NCAA president Mark Emmert said as much Thursday when he announced that a bid from Las Vegas Events for three championships — men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and wrestling — would not be considered for the upcoming cycle of awarding sites for championships when the Board of Governors meets April 25."[/size]

A gateway bid? Wanting a lower profile sport to get a bid to open the way for Regional Finals for basketball to be permitted.

It is always possible I am wrong on the subject since there are a lot of factions and different venues but from what I have heard that weekend isn't one that has an interest in hosting.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#58 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

NCAAs in Vegas during the first weekend of March Madness would probably be the best NCAAs of all time.  

#59 rjs

rjs

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:50 AM

Does Nevada have a D1 program?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#60 rjs

rjs

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

Does Nevada have a D1 program?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No...but UNLV and Nevada-Reno both have NCWA club programs.

Attached Files

Edited by rjs, 28 May 2018 - 04:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users