Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Should NCAA Wrestling have legal wagering?

Looks like the sports gambling wall has been torn down and most states will probably be taking action pretty soon. NJ has been fighting it for 10 years and they are ready to go. You should be able to place a legal bet in a week or 2.

Can you imagine having action on PennState/Ohio State dual or any D1 Dual, Future bets on who will win tournaments (individual and team) or an over/under on a dual outcome. There would be tons of money wagered on NCAA Wrestling and it would bring great interest.

On the other hand I understand people that will want to keep the sport amateur and have nothing to do with gambling. 

I'm all for it, but I can sure see a student athlete who really needs $$$ playing the odds or having someone fund betting (for their loss). 

I agree but there are 365 college basketball teams that guys need $ but you can bet on every one of their games. Don't have individual bets..Maybe just start with team futures and duals.

There should be, but outside of the NCAA tournament I don't see it taking off.  Would I like to be able to bet Alfred Bannister +175 to win the Princeton Open in November?  No doubt.  Would I spiral into complete degeneracy as I spend my weeknights watching SoCon and EWL dual meets? Quite possibly.  

I could be wrong though.  If you can bet on 2nd-tier Eastern European eSports, I don't see why a service couldn't put out some wrestling lines.  

Wow, open it up so 73 people across the country can bet on NCAA wrestling.

No..Promote Midlands, Scuffle, CKLV, Conference Tournaments and NCAA Tournament. Also have a pre-season future bet on NCAA Tournament. I think there would plenty wrestling fans/bettors..More TV

It'd be a lot easier to throw or shave points in a wrestling match than a basketball game and very few college wrestlers ever make big money in the sport. If they started wagering on wrestling there would be rumors after every upset and imo it would kill the sport.  

It'd be a lot easier to throw or shave points in a wrestling match than a basketball game and very few college wrestlers ever make big money in the sport. If they started wagering on wrestling there would be rumors after every upset and imo it would kill the sport.  

Or make it immensely more popular.  I do agree with the first part though, and it's not just the wrestlers.  Referees... tournament organizers... coaches.  I'm all for it, but calling the gambling proposition for college wrestling a quagmire doesn't begin to do it justice.

I could see betting on teams working reasonably well.  Betting on individual matches would be much more tricky from a "controlling corruption" perspective. 

Do we really think college wrestling is going to attract enough money to make some kind of corruption scheme worthwhile for anyone??? I would be way more worried about sports people actually pay attention to, like Football and Basketball

Do we really think college wrestling is going to attract enough money to make some kind of corruption scheme worthwhile for anyone??? I would be way more worried about sports people actually pay attention to, like Football and Basketball

+700 odds will attract a lot of $$$.

$ is $.

Edited by thefatman

Maybe Flo will stop publishing fake betting lines now.

they weren't fake for the Open, WTT and Beat the Streets. although you were limited to like $100 per bet. 

sports wagering is a great way to generate interest and attract casual fans. until the market for it gets really big it will be limited to a prop bet style with very low max bets. and it's much easier to track and catch point shavers when the bets are legal and above board. 

also Flo will not stop posting fake betting lines in the absence of the real thing. 

I am more excited for the prop bets:

-How tan will the Ohio State wrestlers be in December?  

-How many fantasy matches will Dake lose this year?

-The month Desanto will try the camel clutch in a match?  

-Over/under on how much fun the PSU wrestlers will have this season?

-Over/under on how many singlets NC State will wear at the NCAAs?

As Bart Scott once said, "Can't Wait!"

degenerative vice? lol. 

There's no doubt that gambling is crushing if you do it consistently.  It's one thing to go to vegas and spend a couple days/week drinking and gambling. Doing a march madness/matness pool once a year isn't an issue either. It's another to spend your extra money on lottery tickets or betting on sports. Even if you bet reasonable amounts of money that won't bankrupt you, simply betting consistently sucks money that is much better off in a 401K.