#1 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

https://intermatwres.../articles/20135

This should be interesting.

Gardner won Gold and was our best at his weight for a few years.

Now a HS coach.

Don't know that his International Greco experience will help or he is hired because of his wrestling fame. No matter what, hope he does well.

Yes, I know - and I posted in the High School section. Thought with his record folks here might enjoy reading about it.

#2 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Could be useful for getting kids to go out for wrestling.

#3 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

hows his weight

#4 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

He was at the Colorado High School State Tournament and he looked to still be pushing 500 lbs. Not healthy at all.

#5 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Yeah i should have been clearer, i didn't mean it as a sneer, but last time I saw the guy it was clear he has an eating disorder. 

But coaching is a great source of motivation for self improvement.

Edited by hammerlockthree, 14 May 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#6 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

https://goo.gl/images/1GJhYz

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#7 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

I don't believe it was meant as a snear, I truly feel bad for the guy and hope he can get it together. I would hate for him to have a heart attack before age 50.

Edited by spladle, 15 May 2018 - 03:23 AM.

#8 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:39 AM

Why hire a guy to coach if he so clearly cannot discipline himself?

• stp likes this

#9 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,194 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

I feel bad for him.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#10 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

I imagine that kids have a harder time taking their coach seriously when he's 40-50lb overweight vs a really in shape coach. It can't be good when he's 200lb+ overweight. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#11 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

My high school coach was an old overweight heavyweight.  He was a great teacher, coach and mentor.

• GranbyTroll, CholleyVandine and herma48852 like this

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#12 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Haven't many of us wondered if PE was really going to help anything as we saw the lardbutt who was teaching the class?

Rulon is big. Bigger than most of us think is healthy. We know he has had weight issues since he quit competition. Hope he gets it figured out.

Have no idea if he has been coaching or volunteering the past few years. Hope he has. Really hope he helps motivate the kids and can get them going on the mat for a competitive program.

For contrast I would put up Darold Henry and Steve Sanderson - excellent High School coaches in Utah. Darold retired now(was also an NCAA ref) and I think Sanderson is as well. Both ran good programs and produced champions - Sanderson more than just his boys. Would be nice to see Rulon get into that type of success.

Anyone know if he is keeping up with the Greco scene in the Intermountain area?

#13 ClawRide

ClawRide

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

Rulon, please take care of yourself.  We want you around.

#14 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

I was thinking, hey, he might be just the guy to light a fire under a program that isn't quite there yet, get kids interested... be fun, and motivate etc..

then i read in the article they are already a pretty good program...

hmmm, hope he has some good assistants.

#15 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Been in camps with Rulon on board, lightest 400 pound guy on his feet ever. Also a big kid and very charismatic. Great with kids. It is a solid program, he can keep it going and his assistants can do what they do. If HS wrestling precluded good coaches with issues away from the mat the talent pool would thin a lot. This is decades of interactions with coaches, many local legends, and what they are like when not being "coach". FWIW, for the year of 2017 the community I lived hired a HS coach with one year of HS wrestling as. 9th grader. and no coaching experience. Y'all need a little perspective.

#16 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

well said sgallan, those were pretty much my initial thoughts...

#17 airmail

airmail

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

Good luck to him.

A few years back, one of the locals became buddies with Rulon and wanted him to do a clinic at the school where I coached.  A lot of the stuff he showed was, in my opinion, dirty & not high school appropriate.  The way he karate chops necks and such, I don't believe he realizes he's a 500 pound guy who's strong as a friggin' ox.  If I or another average joe would have shown the same stuff, some of the parents would have had my ass.  But it was funny/cool because it was Rulon....

#18 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

He has definitely been working with wrestling because last summer I went to watch my kid wrestle at Fargo and he was there with the Wyoming team pointing out technique to kids, sitting in kids corner in both freestyle and Greco and so on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users