NJDan

Ric Flair: Is this a joke?

Unpopular opinion: We should have surrendered the name wrestling to them decades ago and moved forward with something else (maybe stolen the name grappling?) if we wanted to be thought of as distinct from "sports entertainment".  As per usual, our purism hurts our sport.

No. Just no.

Actually appealing to ANYONE who is not currently a wrestling fan WILL help grow the sport.

People here bitch and moan about wanting to grow the sport and how it'll never be mainstream.

Here's an opportunity to tap into the mainstream market and holier than thou wrestling "purists" bitch and moan that Ric Flair or Kurt Angle are fakers and haven't done enough to grow the sport. BS. Ric Flair has always been a supporter of wrestling. His late son Reid wrestled at Blair Academy where he was a National Prep place finisher and wrestled in the cadet freestyle circuit.

Kurt Angle through his Olympic Gold effort in 1996 helped grow the sport.

The fact that he has been repeatedly recognized as an Olympic Gold Medalist on WWE TV helps grow the sport by reminding everyone that real wrestling is out there. When he was featured on MTV's I Want to be a High School Wrestler helping a high school kid named Dove join his HS wrestling team helped grow the sport. Just because the sport isn't overflowing with tons of kids willing to wrestle doesn't mean these people haven't helped grow the sport. The sport is a pretty damn tough one and isn't appealing to most. Maybe the sport is just too difficult and unappealing to the masses regardless of who promotes it for it to grow to the numbers your delusional mind thinks it should. As for those of you who think Prowrestling hurts wrestling. No it doesn't. What hurts wrestling is the weight cutting, skin infections, negative image of being "gay" and potential for injury, not to mention the ridiculous level of commitment with little to no recognition in return. Here we have someone who is a hell of a lot more famous than Kyle Snyder or Jordan Burroughs and is going to attend and help promote the sport and we wrestling fans take a crap on him calling his award a joke. News flash, Ric Flair being at BTS will cause more mainstream media attention than Burroughs vs Chamizo or Snyder vs Sadulaev combined ever will, because quite frankly no one outside of the small tiny wrestling fanbase gives a crap.

Professional wrestling is pretty much dead outside the US. I guess this helps on the stateside, but it can only cause WTF:s outside the US.

Edited by Don Mog

Professional wrestling is pretty much dead outside the US. I guess this helps on the stateside, but it can only cause WTF:s outside the US.

It seems to be pretty big in Mexico.  Lucha Libre (which means freestyle wrestling). 

How does it help? Do you really think a pro wrasslin fan from Alabama is going to spend $150 on Flo wrestling to watch Ric Flair at BTS?

Kurt Angle brought so many fake wrestling fans into amatuer wrestling. I mean what would we do without Vince McMahon's unwavering support of amatuer wrestling?

Sometimes it's better to stand alone than stand in bad company.

Steroids, drugs, stupid story lines is the fix for amatuer wrestling!

Let's go all in and have a no holds bout with Flair and Hogan. It will bring fans into into amatuer wrestling. I swear it will. Just give it a chance!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk Edited by cjc007

How does it help? Do you really think a pro wrasslin fan from Alabama is going to spend $150 on Flo wrestling to watch Ric Flair at BTS?

Kurt Angle brought so many fake wrestling fans into amatuer wrestling. I mean what would we do without Vince McMahon's unwavering support if amatuer wrestling?

Sometimes it's better to stand alone than stand in bad company.

Steroids, drugs, stupid story lines is the fix for amatuer wrestling!

Let's go all in and have a no holds bout with Flair and Hogan. It will bring fans into into amatuer wrestling. I swear it will. Just give it a chance!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's not Ric Flair or Kurt Angles fault that NCAA and USAWrestling couldn't seal the deal.

Steroids, drugs... hmmm sounds like Russia to me.

Stupid storylines? CJC's Opinion there.

If wrestling people had any clue how to market the sport there would be a bigger fan base.

Get off your arrogant holier than thou high horse.

It's people like you with your narrowminded view that prevent the sport from expanding and growing.

Why would a nonwrestling fan give a crap about who Jordan Burroughs or Kyle Snyder were? If Ric Flair or Kurt Angle gave them a glowing endorsement you bet you rear end a heck of a lot of nonwrestling people would atleast know who they were.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

It's not Ric Flair or Kurt Angles fault that NCAA and USAWrestling couldn't seal the deal.

Steroids, drugs... hmmm sounds like Russia to me.

Stupid storylines? CJC's Opinion there.

If wrestling people had any clue how to market the sport there would be a bigger fan base.

Get off your arrogant holier than thou high horse.

It's people like you with your narrowminded mindset that prevent the sport from expanding and growing.

You really should look at how many fake pro wrestlers died early because of steroids and illegal drugs.

It's a seedy business which should be shunned by amatuer wrestling, not embraced.

...so we should shun professional football players too who have died because of the same thing.

... or all our former wrestlers who have passed away in their real jobs for succumbing to the same issues with drug abuse and mental illness.

One of the WWE’s main talent scouts is a former Oklahoma State Cowboy who is always looking to bring in people from the college and international ranks.

If you don’t like it, that’s your prerogative, but it doesn’t make your stance any more right than those who have a different viewpoint. Most people who watch the WWE know exactly what they are getting.

And the NWHOF Dan Gable Museum has a wing for professional wrestling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You really should look at how many fake pro wrestlers died early because of steroids and illegal drugs.

It's a seedy business which should be shunned by amatuer wrestling, not embraced.

Keeping shunning every industry that has shadiness in their past. Got it!

Shun the NFL!! Too many drugs and scandals!! How many kids and died due to Football?

Oh while we're at it, lets shun USAWrestling for working with John Dupont in the past.

Endorsements from politicians?

Shun them! Seedy past! Look how many people that have died due to the hands of politicians!

When Gable Steveson went to a WWE Event and met Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman, Heyman posted a tweet saying Gable Steveson was the next big thing in wrestling, not Brock Lesnar.

That exposed Steveson to a whole legion of people that would have NEVER otherwise known who he was. Yup! Thats BAD for the sport.

Keep shunning anyone and everyone that CJC opposes to. That'll sure help grow the sport! Yay!

Guess what? With your narrowminded view, the sport will NEVER grow.

Forget the super match ups like Burroughs v Chimizo.

NO ONE OUTSIDE OF WRESTLING KNOWS WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE!!! THEY COULD CARE LESS!!!

The ONLY people who care of about these types of matches are people who are ALREADY in the fanbase!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

...so we should shun professional football players too who have died because of the same thing.

... or all our former wrestlers who have passed away in their real jobs for succumbing to the same issues with drug abuse and mental illness.

One of the WWE’s main talent scouts is a former Oklahoma State Cowboy who is always looking to bring in people from the college and international ranks.

If you don’t like it, that’s your prerogative, but it doesn’t make your stance any more right than those who have a different viewpoint. Most people who watch the WWE know exactly what they are getting.

And the NWHOF Dan Gable Museum has a wing for professional wrestling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We can agree to disagree, but I can't see pro wrestling fans suddenly becoming amatuer wrestling fans.

If so, amatuer wrestling would be the #2 sport in the South behind college football.

Why hasn't the South (NWA wrestling hot bed) embraced amatuer wrestling?

We can agree to disagree, but I can't see pro wrestling fans suddenly becoming amatuer wrestling fans.

If so, amatuer wrestling would be the #2 sport in the South behind college football.

Why hasn't the South (NWA wrestling hot bed) embraced amatuer wrestling?

Because of arrogant holier than thou people like you who shun them.

Why go somewhere that you will get shunned?

Wrestling needs ALL THE FANS IT CAN GET TO GROW

Shunning anyone is the stupidest thing ever.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Can we quit whining about every little thing? We applaud wrestlers in every profession EXCEPT this one - Flair was brought into the business by Verne Gagne - a wrestler from Minnesota who gave countless amateur wrestlers careers.

And we have a problem with that? Meh.

tumblr_inline_mriykfmQJZ1qz4rgp.gif

It's huge in Japan

My favorite match. ever.

This was a good one mixing the 2 styles (Pro and Real) that got great audience reactions.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd the Prowrestling market is an untapped demographic where wrestling could grow.

If we could get rid of the mindset of CJC, the sport would have a chance to expand its viewership and ACTUALLY grow vs pandering to those who are already watching, thus keeping the sport's growth at a stalemate at best..

Edited by BigTenFanboy

It's huge in Japan

+ Mexico

Part of the friction over Rick Flair is probably because of the "fake" and entertainment aspect of pro wrestling, but isn't also because it kind of goes against a brand that wrestling has been trying to buck?

cjc, if you're going to keep going on about this, you need to at least spell amateur correctly once or twice.

Now that is great advice. :)

My neighbor's son crushing it... I love this.

I was a fan of pro "wrestling" before I first stepped foot on a real mat. I can still enjoy this sort of thing and recognize that WWF/E isn't poaching any of our guys, but providing them with some laughs and smiles. I have zero beef with that, "brother!" WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

+ Mexico

Part of the friction over Rick Flair is probably because of the "fake" and entertainment aspect of pro wrestling, but isn't also because it kind of goes against a brand that wrestling has been trying to buck?

I think South Park covered it fairly well