CoachWrestling

Beat the Streets was a circus show

I’ve watched all the videos and interviews from BtS and this is what I’m getting out of it...

confident, honest, black man = classless

Remember when themat.com had the front page commentary defending Metcalf after the cheap shot on Caldwell in the NCAA finals?

We can be critical of the event without whining, but we haven't found that balance yet.

Well Burroughs did call out a lighter Chamizo who at the time had not

Wrestled 74. Then he whined that because of his stature he shouldnt of had to weigh in that day.

Personally I think he has been hanging around Dake too much.

Burroughs is the ultimate ambassador for the sport. But I am confused about the weight thing. Thought I heard he weighed in at 174 (pounds) and that Chamizo was at 171. In other words, they were not enforcing the weight class restriction at all. Or was that 74 kilos?

Who cares if they enforce weigh ins. Burroughs has been huge for the sport in this country and then the event coordinators seemingly made exceptions for his opponent. I would feel disrespected as well.

D.  You are the classless one, calling one of the worlds most respected wrestlers out.  He is pure class.   

I have a post regarding this topic in the  "Chamizo's weight class" thread, so I am not going to elaborate here. 

Just because he is classy and one of the most respected wrestler doesn’t mean he didn’t act with class this time. After the match he was in Chamizo’s face flexing and it rubbed me the wrong way. Then they interviewed both of them and he was very cordial, then out of nowhere afterwards he said “cut back down to 70”. You don’t need to rub someone’s face in the dirt after you defeat them. I understand emotions run high and this is an emotional sport but you have to separate that. It wasn’t the most classless thing in the world, but it was certainly the most classless thing I’ve ever seen Burroughs do. 

you guys are missing a big part of this story.

burroughs feels that BTS were making a special (unprecedented) consideration for Chamizo,

and it comes on the heels of Dave Barry setting up and funding Chamizo to train.

if you're Burroughs and Burroughs' camp, you might be a little offended by American money

funding a non-American to train to beat you (and all other Americans). 

Kendall Cross was wearing a Team Chamizo shirt.

i ain't saying it's right or wrong or to what degree. i'm just saying this was a factor. 

Edited by Husker_Du

Can someone lay out what exactly the 'not a good look' is?

tried looking through the thread but there is a lot of junk.

the only thing i remember is JB saying 'then go back down to 70'.

which was in response to Chamizo complaining about the mats.

in the post match interview he said that Chamizo is great and that he will have a tough time beating him going forward. 

I really hope BTS apologized to Burroughs for whatever it is that made him feel insulted with the weigh ins.  He has been the marquee match for their event every single year since 2011. He doesn't have to put himself out there to wrestle these random Russians/Cubans/etc that are flown in to challenge him, but he does it for a great cause.  

He also made a very salient point regarding the $25 dollar tickets this year-how he liked it because finally the people that this program supports would be able to attend and watch the wrestling if they so chose.  BTS is one of the best programs in wrestling, but the gala/fundraiser can be a bit gaudy/tacky (as many fundraisers are). Being a program for the community, I think having people be able to attend the wrestling was a great thing.  

I think complaining about a win is not a good look. He won. It was not controversial. Complaining about weighins or whatever else, if true, smacks of feeling the need to justify the closeness of the bout. Not a good look.

The easiest way to justify the "closeness" of the bout is the fact that they wrestled on a slip n slide. But I don't think that was his way of justifying anything because anyone would expect a match between the two of them to be close.  They are two of the best wrestlers in the world.  
Edited by Billyhoyle

I think complaining about a win is not a good look. He won. It was not controversial. Complaining about weighins or whatever else, if true, smacks of feeling the need to justify the closeness of the bout. Not a good look.

This..and the fact burros is the one who originally called out a lighter wrestler. Then tells thin to go back down..maybe he meant..go back down because of the competitiveness.

Still will be wearing my usaw hat signed by burros, but his comments did not seem to align with the image i have of him.

Can someone lay out what exactly the 'not a good look' is?

I remember at the weigh in video that Chamizo tried to shake JB's hand and he walked away.  That said I just rewatched and I'm not sure Jordan saw the handshake before he walked away.  JB did pat him on his side after the stupid staredown thingy, so I'm leaning towards him not seeing it.  That said I wonder if other people were referring to that, if they are they should rewatch...

This..and the fact burros is the one who originally called out a lighter wrestler. Then tells thin to go back down..maybe he meant..go back down because of the competitiveness.

Still will be wearing my usaw hat signed by burros, but his comments did not seem to align with the image i have of him.

Which of these two scenarios is more likely.  

1.  Burroughs called out a lighter wrestler, who then moved up a weight to meet the challenge at BTS.  

2.  Chamizo was moving up and they therefore scheduled a match against Burroughs to marquee the BTS event.  Burroughs then called out Chamizo to create publicity for the event.  

A. None of the other wrestlers seem to train hard for it. We win a lot of the matches at the end because we are in better shape at the time.

B. Obvious home cooking by the refs.

C. The mats being like an ice rink. What major sport would ever have the integrity of the sport compromised with an inadequate playing field?

D. Burroughs showed little class in victory, wasn’t too happy with his behavior. 

Thoughts?

I just saw the Burroughs Chamizo match.  It was an ice rink out there.  That was horrible.  Neither could get normal footing.  There should have been a tent or tarp over the area so the mats could stay dry.  Burroughs and Chamizo hugged right after the match.  And hugged for an extended period of time.  If that is little class, I'm really not seeing it.

mspart

I just saw the Burroughs Chamizo match.  It was an ice rink out there.  That was horrible.  Neither could get normal footing.  There should have been a tent or tarp over the area so the mats could stay dry.  Burroughs and Chamizo hugged right after the match.  And hugged for an extended period of time.  If that is little class, I'm really not seeing it.

mspart

I understand science isn't your strong suit, but a tent or tarp doesn't prevent humidity from building up.

Playing football in the elements is part of football. There's different equipment that football players can use/wear and teams specifically train/prepare for those types of field conditions.

The elements are part of football, but they SHOULDN'T be. I played football for 7 years in all sorts of conditions and I think it's preposterous to have HS boys, or younger, out on a field playing in freezing conditions. As a Sr we had a playoff game against Bristow deep in the playoffs. It was about 3 degrees, SLEETING, and the wind was blowing like a banshee. No running backs could get any traction and kept falling down (on both sides). The QBs couldn't throw the ball with the thick gloves on their hands and had problems even holding onto the ball. The week after the game nearly everybody came down with colds, bronchitis, etc.

When weather conditions are bad football games should be canceled for the health of they players, not to mention adverse driving conditions that endanger the fans.