Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Chamizo weight class

Is this freak of nature committed to 74 kg going forward? Is he considering a drop back down to 70 kg? 

I can't say enough how impressed I was with his wrestling against JB. To get the first TD on JB like that as if he was bullying some random guy, and then that single leg defense to score the second TD... SICK. I was also quite surprised he was able to get a pushout on JB by simply pressuring forward. 

Last summer, he was working out with Logan Stieber at the NYC RTC and looked bigger but not by that much. Now he's up at 74 pushing JB around giving up what looked to me like significant size. I really thought JB would blow right through him but it would be competitive if they met at worlds. Now I think Chamizo might actually win. He has more time to continue to fill out and has a style you can't really prepare for. There's no wrestler who captures my attention like Chamizo right now. The dude is electric.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

IIRC Chamizo weighed in at 171 and JB 174 for BTS, so not a huge difference in actual weight.  Though maybe JB cut to get to 174?

In a pre Rio promotional video/interview/something, I remember JB saying "as in shape as I am, I'm still 12lb overweight" to explain the difficulties of a weight class sport. If honest, that would put him at about 175. 

Is this freak of nature committed to 74 kg going forward? Is he considering a drop back down to 70 kg? 

I can't say enough how impressed I was with his wrestling against JB. To get the first TD on JB like that as if he was bullying some random guy, and then that single leg defense to score the second TD... SICK. I was also quite surprised he was able to get a pushout on JB by simply pressuring forward. 

Last summer, he was working out with Logan Stieber at the NYC RTC and looked bigger but not by that much. Now he's up at 74 pushing JB around giving up what looked to me like significant size. I really thought JB would blow right through him but it would be competitive if they met at worlds. Now I think Chamizo might actually win. He has more time to continue to fill out and has a style you can't really prepare for. There's no wrestler who captures my attention like Chamizo right now. The dude is electric.

Sure did push JB around, I could push Synder around too with how slippery that mat was, Nerd Chamizo has no chance to win at 74 with JB still around at least not in 2018.  For those complaining about his lack of respect and interview you can 

tell he was frustrated by not getting his fakes and shots in.  Defense cant beat offense (except DT and KD) look at the guys JB has beaten Tsargush, Geduev (2 times) Kyle Dake 6 times.  Chamizo is awesome and fun to watch but he is not winning it 

In my eyes, even before the match, the BTS match was going to (and I believe did) benefit Burroughs more.  He now has a feel for Chamizo.  That is probably more important when wrestling a guy that has such great balance and scramble ability.  You can see the amazing adjustments that Burroughs made in just a couple of minutes.  After losing the TD off his own shot in the first round, he seemed to get a better feel for Chamizo.  And while the mat conditions were obviously a factor, they both had the same conditions.  Now that Burroughs has the feel and when thy wrestle on a mat where Burroughs  can close out, drive through a shot, and not slide, he should have the upper hand.  Also, Burroughs was the one with the pressure.  Chamizo had nothing to lose.  Burroughs stayed calm and rose to the occasion. 

Those of you complaining about how Burroughs acted after the match... while this may seem like a friendly event to those sitting behind a screen and you want him to quietly pat Chamizo on the back and help him off the mat at the end, we want Burroughs to care about winning the match, to feel proud, and to roar after this type of victory.  That is why he is able to accomplish what he does.  We all know this is a battle let him express himself after he has one the battle. I am not sure if  you noticed, but when the announcers were playing games on the mat prior to the final match, pretending that the night was over, they panned to Burroughs, he was focused, he looked determined.  He was not taking this match lightly. He is a class act and one of the best wrestlers the world has ever seen.  He is not doing immature skits in the end zone after a touch down.  He is not overly braggadocio and yelling at the camera after it's over.  He is a role model and the face of American wrestling.  Yes, Kyle Snyder is the man too, but, Burroughs carried our sport through a long drought  and is still going.  He deserves our our gratitude. 

Thats funny cause he talked after the BTS about dropping back to 70

At the end of the match, the announcer chuckled as he quoted one of the wrestlers, "go back down to 70".  I couldn't hear which wrestler said that, but from my perspective I thought Burroughs said that in jest to Chamizo, the joke being... I don't want to have to wrestle you again. And this was all in fun. 

Sure did push JB around, I could push Synder around too with how slippery that mat was, Nerd Chamizo has no chance to win at 74 with JB still around at least not in 2018. For those complaining about his lack of respect and interview you can

tell he was frustrated by not getting his fakes and shots in. Defense cant beat offense (except DT and KD) look at the guys JB has beaten Tsargush, Geduev (2 times) Kyle Dake 6 times. Chamizo is awesome and fun to watch but he is not winning it

This

I was big on Chamizo going in and I'm still pretty big on him, those mats were a detriment to all of the wrestling, I would wager we see much different results on a dry mat in several of the matches. 

BOTH WRESTLERS WRESTLED ON A SLIPPERY MAT, NOT JUST JB

Last night was as much about who can adapt to the conditions as much as it was about their abilities, and it was close as ****, he doesn't need to go back down in weight, he would def be the favorite come worlds but I think it would benefit him to hang around and grow into the weight by 2020. 

Sure did push JB around, I could push Synder around too with how slippery that mat was, Nerd Chamizo has no chance to win at 74 with JB still around at least not in 2018.  For those complaining about his lack of respect and interview you can 

tell he was frustrated by not getting his fakes and shots in.  Defense cant beat offense (except DT and KD) look at the guys JB has beaten Tsargush, Geduev (2 times) Kyle Dake 6 times.  Chamizo is awesome and fun to watch but he is not winning it 

I get it's not the world championships yet, but you may want to revisit the "NO CHANCE" comment. Stop being such a fanboy. Anyone can lose, especially to a guy who has beaten him just now. I don't think the mats were wet this time either.