Sign in to follow this  
nom

What's the story on Alirez?

His single leg, to leg sweep, to lace transition on Nick Lee was a thing of beauty.  I had never hear of him.  

I saw him stomp on Gfeller at the open (I think thats where it was) earlier this year, and I was like WHOA... 

has one more year of HS, apparently working closely with Nickerson, look forward to seeing him at the next level 

Thanks for this info.  Nickerson was such a great technician.  I've been waiting to see one or more of his 'students' really break out.  I have no idea how much credit Nickerson deserves on this guy ... just a thought on Nickerson in general.

He's got to be one of the bigger revelations of this Spring wrestling interval.  In terms of physicality, poise, physique, attitude, explosiveness, etc. he looks right at home not only scrapping with college guys, but beating GOOD college guys, and to think he is just a junior in HS...crazy.  The last kid from Colorado that had those kind of freestyle chops was probably Graff.  Assuming he isn't just on some kind of hot streak, and this is a sign of things to come, Northern Colorado got a very, very good one.

he's probably a first year UWW JR. (not sure of his BDay).

he dnp'd in Akron last year losing in QF to Decatur (12-2) and in blood round to Beau Bartlett (9-4).

took 7th at Fargo (132 JR's)

That's a pretty insane trajectory in one calendar year to go from 7th at Fargo to putting up shutout techs against the likes of Nick Lee, Ben Freeman, and Kaden Gfeller...

I think (and hope) he goes to No. Co.  The kid has a lot of family there and a good support system.  Big wrestling family here in CO. 

His dad was definitely the real deal.  Tough son of a gun, he was a 1X SC, but placed in the top 3 all four years of HS with no more than a few losses and did some MMA successfully as well. 

Northern Colorado is definitely on the rise, with or without Alirez.