Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Penn State Freestyle?

Rumor is they are taking a break because they will go straight from the 208/19 season into world qualifiers (for the bye to the olympic trial finals potentially) and won’t have another chance to take time off until the Olympics

That doesn’t explain Zain, but maybe he needs the rest.

Theoretically, PSU could have world teamed next year at 65 (zain), 70 (Nolf) 74 (Hall), 79 (Nickal, unless he is too big) 86 (nickal/Taylor), 92 (Taylor) 125 (Varner)

That won’t happen but I am aaauming they have had conversations around storming WTT next year like they did at ncaas I’m 17 and 18

Taking a break like 98% of college wrestlers.

IMO, all college wrestlers need to take some time off from being on the mat.  Not saying they should stop lifting and doing cardio but staying off the mat definitely has some advantages.

Rumor is they are taking a break because they will go straight from the 208/19 season into world qualifiers (for the bye to the olympic trial finals potentially) and won’t have another chance to take time off until the Olympics

That doesn’t explain Zain, but maybe he needs the rest.

Theoretically, PSU could have world teamed next year at 65 (zain), 70 (Nolf) 74 (Hall), 79 (Nickal, unless he is too big) 86 (nickal/Taylor), 92 (Taylor) 125 (Varner)

That won’t happen but I am aaauming they have had conversations around storming WTT next year like they did at ncaas I’m 17 and 18

Askren said the same thing on his podcast.  Once the college season hits next year they are all in for the next 2 years straight.  Makes sense to keep their minds and bodies fresh.  I'm sure they are still in the room all the time improving technique.  

Cael gets paid for the results at NCAAs, so it makes sense for him to not really care much about international results. Sure, that limits the potential of his athletes post college, but that also creates less competition for recruits when they take coaching jobs.

Cael gets paid for the results at NCAAs, so it makes sense for him to not really care much about international results. Sure, that limits the potential of his athletes post college, but that also creates less competition for recruits when they take coaching jobs.

Do you really think that’s his thought process? Give me a break.

NLWC/PSU had 3 guys at WTT/FinalX. Two more are on the Junior World team. They care about freestyle.

What happened with Retherford? It’s very rare for somebody getting acclimated with FS to take a year off right after making the team for the first time. I also think his loss to Batirov seemed based on lack of FS experience. Was he battling an injury?

Hall won 14 straight titles. 6 Minnesota individual, 6 Minnesota team titles, Penn State individual and team. 14. I’m

Guessing his first defeat to in a championship in so many years warrants a break.

Don't forget his two Junior World titles.

The club was attracting top guys like Gwiz until Varner decided to come back.

He brought in Provisor too. 

For a coach and club that some trolls think doesn't care about freestyle, despite the guys that are resting, he still had Varner and Nico competing this weekend, former PSU wrestlers Molinaro and Vallimont were competing, and David Taylor is the presumptive rep at 86Kg this year. Then you have Nick Lee and Verkleeren competing in Juniors and Berge and Brooks making Junior World teams. Pretty good for a guy mailing it in. Imagine if he actually tried at this stuff. Maybe next year.