Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Penn State Freestyle?

Askren said the same thing on his podcast.  Once the college season hits next year they are all in for the next 2 years straight.  Makes sense to keep their minds and bodies fresh.  I'm sure they are still in the room all the time improving technique.  

This.

I can see why some of them rested but Nickal seems healthy and at the very top of his game, I'd have liked to see him give it a go.

He is too busy taking "How to be Interviewed: 101".  If he passes, he will be taking "Composure Under Public Scrutiny: 202".  These are much more important than trying to make a team in an unimportant fake wrestling style!

I agree college guys need breaks but I would think there would be time to take one at some other point. If they didn't make the world team (which most would not), they could take the whole summer off. If they did make it, they get an awesome experience and I'm sure Cael could afford to give them a break for a little while after worlds. This could potentially hurt recruiting too... I would think a top notch recruit with Olympic aspirations would look more favorable at the freestyle results of say Ohio State

I agree college guys need breaks but I would think there would be time to take one at some other point. If they didn't make the world team (which most would not), they could take the whole summer off. If they did make it, they get an awesome experience and I'm sure Cael could afford to give them a break for a little while after worlds. This could potentially hurt recruiting too... I would think a top notch recruit with Olympic aspirations would look more favorable at the freestyle results of say Ohio State

Not if 3+ guy make the world team next year. I think that’s what they are banking on.

Mega 61

Zain 65

Nolf 70

Cenzo 74

Hall 79

Taylor/Bo 86/92

Varner hvwt

Not all will make the team but all are contenders, besides whoever goes 74.

I think Zain, Nolf and Taylor have a good shot. The rest are in the conversation. One making it wouldn’t be a shock.

Imagine if they pulled off what hey pull off at ncaas at trials

Plus multiple junior team members.

True

Not sure why, but ever since people started talking about how “bad” Verk is, I’ve rooted for him. Even after winning cadets nobody seemed to think he would be all that good. Granted he may not start at PSU, but neither does Greco world teamed Manville

True

Not sure why, but ever since people started talking about how “bad” Verk is, I’ve rooted for him. Even after winning cadets nobody seemed to think he would be all that good. Granted he may not start at PSU, but neither does Greco world teamed Manville

I don't think people were saying he was bad (then again this is The Mat and there's always one idiot/troll) but more of a general pessimism as to where he is going to fit in the lineup.  And quite frankly that's still a question - Berge looks like he's in the driver's seat for 149 this year.  Next year you have Lee possible moving up, another Lee coming in, etc. 

Edited by Gantry

I don't think people were saying he was bad (then again this is The Mat and there's always one idiot/troll) but more of a general pessimism as to where he is going to fit in the lineup.  And quite frankly that's still a question - Berge looks like he's in the driver's seat for 149 this year.  Next year you have Lee possible moving up, another Lee coming in, etc. 

All of Berge's matches this season were at 157. Don't be surprised if he can't get down and sits this season. 

While I agree it's going to be a hard cut, it seems like his plan since day one is 149 early in his career.  So I think he's going to get down, how effective he'll be is the big question.  Certainly has looked good and spry at 154 in freestyle...

Hall won 14 straight titles. 6 Minnesota individual, 6 Minnesota team titles, Penn State individual and team. 14. I’m

Guessing his first defeat to in a championship in so many years warrants a break.

He bounced back from his NCAA championship defeat with a Pan Am title earlier this month

Cael gets paid for the results at NCAAs, so it makes sense for him to not really care much about international results. Sure, that limits the potential of his athletes post college, but that also creates less competition for recruits when they take coaching jobs.

And you recruit the kids that will win you NCAA titles by talking about competition after college. Pretty silly to say "for him not to care much about international results.