• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:13 AM

One of the first things Cael did was get the NLWC for freestyle.

The club was attracting top guys like Gwiz until Varner decided to come back.

#22 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

The club was attracting top guys like Gwiz until Varner decided to come back.

He brought in Provisor too. 

For a coach and club that some trolls think doesn't care about freestyle, despite the guys that are resting, he still had Varner and Nico competing this weekend, former PSU wrestlers Molinaro and Vallimont were competing, and David Taylor is the presumptive rep at 86Kg this year. Then you have Nick Lee and Verkleeren competing in Juniors and Berge and Brooks making Junior World teams. Pretty good for a guy mailing it in. Imagine if he actually tried at this stuff. Maybe next year. 

• MikePorcelli, GoNotQuietly, Housebuye and 1 other like this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#23 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:11 AM

If you're too dumb to find the grey area between saying sanderson's top priority is the NCAA team and saying he doesn't care about freestyle then you're beneath contempt. 

#24 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

If you are a troll then you are a troll.

#25 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:52 AM

For a coach and club that some trolls think doesn't care about freestyle, despite the guys that are resting,

Do you know what a "troll" is? 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#26 steen-hooph

steen-hooph

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Askren said the same thing on his podcast.  Once the college season hits next year they are all in for the next 2 years straight.  Makes sense to keep their minds and bodies fresh.  I'm sure they are still in the room all the time improving technique.  

This.

#27 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

Do you know what a "troll" is?

I think Webster's has a pic of hammerhead in their definition.

#28 buckshot1969

buckshot1969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

I can see why some of them rested but Nickal seems healthy and at the very top of his game, I'd have liked to see him give it a go.

#29 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

I can see why some of them rested but Nickal seems healthy and at the very top of his game, I'd have liked to see him give it a go.

He is too busy taking "How to be Interviewed: 101".  If he passes, he will be taking "Composure Under Public Scrutiny: 202".  These are much more important than trying to make a team in an unimportant fake wrestling style!

• cjc007 likes this

#30 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

I agree college guys need breaks but I would think there would be time to take one at some other point. If they didn't make the world team (which most would not), they could take the whole summer off. If they did make it, they get an awesome experience and I'm sure Cael could afford to give them a break for a little while after worlds. This could potentially hurt recruiting too... I would think a top notch recruit with Olympic aspirations would look more favorable at the freestyle results of say Ohio State

#31 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

I agree college guys need breaks but I would think there would be time to take one at some other point. If they didn't make the world team (which most would not), they could take the whole summer off. If they did make it, they get an awesome experience and I'm sure Cael could afford to give them a break for a little while after worlds. This could potentially hurt recruiting too... I would think a top notch recruit with Olympic aspirations would look more favorable at the freestyle results of say Ohio State

Not if 3+ guy make the world team next year. I think that’s what they are banking on.

Mega 61
Zain 65
Nolf 70
Cenzo 74
Hall 79
Taylor/Bo 86/92
Varner hvwt

Not all will make the team but all are contenders, besides whoever goes 74.

I think Zain, Nolf and Taylor have a good shot. The rest are in the conversation. One making it wouldn’t be a shock.

Imagine if they pulled off what hey pull off at ncaas at trials

#32 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Plus multiple junior team members.

#33 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

Plus multiple junior team members.

True

Not sure why, but ever since people started talking about how “bad” Verk is, I’ve rooted for him. Even after winning cadets nobody seemed to think he would be all that good. Granted he may not start at PSU, but neither does Greco world teamed Manville

#34 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

PSU will be fine, like they always are. Nolf and probably Zain are both healing up while guys like Cenzo, Hall and Nickal were not likely making senior team anyway.

#35 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

Well I'm glad the voice of PSU wrestling is confirming they don't show up unless they are gonna win. Kinda sounds like you are in the "Cael doesn't care about freestyle" camp. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 21 May 2018 - 02:55 PM.

• cjc007 and Eagle26 like this

#36 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:29 AM

True

Not sure why, but ever since people started talking about how “bad” Verk is, I’ve rooted for him. Even after winning cadets nobody seemed to think he would be all that good. Granted he may not start at PSU, but neither does Greco world teamed Manville

I don't think people were saying he was bad (then again this is The Mat and there's always one idiot/troll) but more of a general pessimism as to where he is going to fit in the lineup.  And quite frankly that's still a question - Berge looks like he's in the driver's seat for 149 this year.  Next year you have Lee possible moving up, another Lee coming in, etc. 

Edited by Gantry, 22 May 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#37 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:46 AM

I don't think people were saying he was bad (then again this is The Mat and there's always one idiot/troll) but more of a general pessimism as to where he is going to fit in the lineup.  And quite frankly that's still a question - Berge looks like he's in the driver's seat for 149 this year.  Next year you have Lee possible moving up, another Lee coming in, etc. 

All of Berge's matches this season were at 157. Don't be surprised if he can't get down and sits this season. 

#38 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:35 AM

While I agree it's going to be a hard cut, it seems like his plan since day one is 149 early in his career.  So I think he's going to get down, how effective he'll be is the big question.  Certainly has looked good and spry at 154 in freestyle...

#39 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

I think Berge goes 149 next year, then takes over for Nolf at 157. 

#40 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:08 AM

WOW really interesting post.

• LemonPie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users