I was wrong on this one but I will still take Dake.  Shooting on Dake doesn't seem like the way to beat him.  The more you go the more opportunities he has.  Should be a great matchup in the immovable object/unstoppable force kind of way.  

With the level of dominance in that first match... It could absolutely happen. Hall and Zahid are both going to push Dake next year as well. Then 2020 with an older Zahid vs Taylor/Cox...Throw in Nickal...What a stacked weight.

What was most impressive was his ability to shut down Dieringer's offense. It seemed like AD had a very hard time even getting an attempt off.

Exactly. I have absolutely never seen Dieringer’s leg attack offense shutdown, much less completely shut down. I don’t think he touched his leg in two matches. Something about zahid’s positioning, His legs always look like they are like 20 feet away from his opponent. And then He strikes with a perfectly timed sneaky shot out of nowhere. Extremely impressive. Edited by Cradle1

Agree with bocon. Bad style matchup for Zahid against Dake. I think Ringer may have had a better chance, which is ironic to say given how easily Zahid beat Ringerr back to back..

Extremely impressive performance by Zahid, to say the least. He made a top 4 (or so) ranked international senior wrestler look slow, flat-footed, and one-dimensional, i.e. completely reliant on that inside tie to initiate any meaningful offense.

Too bad Zahid is a tweener for 86 kg and will never in a million years make 74 kg. He should bump up to 184 next year (he would win, in my opinion) and start the process of preparing for 2020, because he showed today he has the potential to make it interesting with two more years of development. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Exactly. I have absolutely never seen Dieringer’s leg attack offense shutdown, much less completely shut down. I don’t think he touched his leg in two matches. Something about zahid’s positioning, His legs always look like they are like 20 feet away from his opponent. And then He strikes with a perfectly timed sneaky shot out of nowhere. Extremely impressive.

One of the reasons Ringer is such a beast with his signature near arm far leg TD is that he is a leftie and therefore hits it to the majority of opponents' lead (right leg). Zahid himself being a leftie took that edge away. Of course, there were other factors such as Zahid being quicker and a badass mofo, but I was curious to see how Ringer would respond to another elite leftie.

Like many of us I didn’t think Zahid’s time is today and so I am not confident I can predict his ceiling. That being said Dake has been able to **** down dynamic wrestlers like zahid before. I like to think that Dake is more effective than any wrestler and looking like he can be beat when he can’t be.

Agree with bocon. Bad style matchup for Zahid against Dake. I think Ringer may have had a better chance, which is ironic to say given how easily Zahid beat Ringerr back to back..

Extremely impressive performance by Zahid, to say the least. He made a top 4 (or so) ranked international senior wrestler look slow, flat-footed, and one-dimensional, i.e. completely reliant on that inside tie to initiate any meaningful offense.

Too bad Zahid is a tweener for 86 kg and will never in a million years make 74 kg. He should bump up to 184 next year (he would win, in my opinion) and start the process of preparing for 2020, because he showed today he has the potential to make it interesting with two more years of development.

Yeah, Zahid is a tweener by choice right now. He will make a great 86

I think Zahid has a real chance and I think his length is a real problem for guys like Dake and Dieringer who are plenty strong but have blown up 74 KG frames.  I also think his level changes are out of this world.  And unlike a few of our young freestyle marvels, he has no problems generating his own offense.  That's why I said all year he was a clear favorite over Hall.  He is one of my absolute favorite college wrestlers on any team.  

And I don't necessarily think Dake is a bad matchup for him, I just don't think he can use the same match strategy against Dake and I don't think how both guys beat Dieringer indicates what happens between them.  Constant attacking against Dake will get you in trouble at some point no matter how good you are at not giving up stuff off your own shots.  I think Zahid needs to pick his spots against Dake.