• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hand up... I said it was too early for this kid.  I was wrong.  Way wrong.  Perhaps we should have given more merit to his junior world silver last year competing up a weight and giving up 10+ pounds every match.  This dude is a gamer. 

• silver-medal and Cletus_Tucker like this

#2 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

He is the future, and that future hopefully begins at FinalX. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#3 spladle08

spladle08

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

Yeah absolutely I thought this was a 2 horse race with the rest of America being way behind. I take my hat off.... those were 2 complete ass whoopins of a world class wrestler.

#4 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

I was wrong on this one but I will still take Dake.  Shooting on Dake doesn't seem like the way to beat him.  The more you go the more opportunities he has.  Should be a great matchup in the immovable object/unstoppable force kind of way.  

#5 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

What was most impressive was his ability to shut down Dieringer's offense.  It seemed like AD had a very hard time even getting an attempt off.  

#6 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

I know the transitive property does not always work in wrestling, but it looks like Dake better watch out.

• gowrestle likes this

#7 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

With the level of dominance in that first match... It could absolutely happen. Hall and Zahid are both going to push Dake next year as well. Then 2020 with an older Zahid vs Taylor/Cox...Throw in Nickal...What a stacked weight.

What was most impressive was his ability to shut down Dieringer's offense. It seemed like AD had a very hard time even getting an attempt off.

Exactly. I have absolutely never seen Dieringer’s leg attack offense shutdown, much less completely shut down. I don’t think he touched his leg in two matches. Something about zahid’s positioning, His legs always look like they are like 20 feet away from his opponent. And then He strikes with a perfectly timed sneaky shot out of nowhere. Extremely impressive.

Edited by Cradle1, 20 May 2018 - 08:34 AM.

• bwh27 and de4856 like this

#8 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Agree with bocon. Bad style matchup for Zahid against Dake. I think Ringer may have had a better chance, which is ironic to say given how easily Zahid beat Ringerr back to back..

Extremely impressive performance by Zahid, to say the least. He made a top 4 (or so) ranked international senior wrestler look slow, flat-footed, and one-dimensional, i.e. completely reliant on that inside tie to initiate any meaningful offense.

Too bad Zahid is a tweener for 86 kg and will never in a million years make 74 kg. He should bump up to 184 next year (he would win, in my opinion) and start the process of preparing for 2020, because he showed today he has the potential to make it interesting with two more years of development. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 20 May 2018 - 09:12 AM.

• spladle08 likes this

#9 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Exactly. I have absolutely never seen Dieringer’s leg attack offense shutdown, much less completely shut down. I don’t think he touched his leg in two matches. Something about zahid’s positioning, His legs always look like they are like 20 feet away from his opponent. And then He strikes with a perfectly timed sneaky shot out of nowhere. Extremely impressive.

One of the reasons Ringer is such a beast with his signature near arm far leg TD is that he is a leftie and therefore hits it to the majority of opponents' lead (right leg). Zahid himself being a leftie took that edge away. Of course, there were other factors such as Zahid being quicker and a badass mofo, but I was curious to see how Ringer would respond to another elite leftie.

• rstrong and Konquest like this

#10 fullnelson

fullnelson

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Ringer reminds me of Metcalf in that they are both fairly limited in their variety of techniques; he didn't make any adjustments.

#11 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Just amazing level and speed changes.

#12 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

Dake might win but I don't think he is a bad match up for Zahid. I don't know if there is a style Zahid can't beat. He is hard to attack and his length and quickness are hard to stop.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#13 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Well after watching Zahid at the NCAA's in March, and now here at the WTT, I'm a believer. I think that all bets are off come Final X versus Dake.

#14 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Zahid is big and the best wrestling athlete in the country at any weight.  I think Dake has his hands full.  

#15 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,823 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Sounds a lot like the hype leading up to Taylor vs Dake I II III IV V VI VII, etc...

#16 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

I am looking forward to the match forsure. Can Dake stay injury free?

#17 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Zahid is big and the best wrestling athlete in the country at any weight. I think Dake has his hands full.

Dake is an athletic freak.
  • Konquest likes this

#18 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Like many of us I didn’t think Zahid’s time is today and so I am not confident I can predict his ceiling. That being said Dake has been able to **** down dynamic wrestlers like zahid before. I like to think that Dake is more effective than any wrestler and looking like he can be beat when he can’t be.

#19 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Agree with bocon. Bad style matchup for Zahid against Dake. I think Ringer may have had a better chance, which is ironic to say given how easily Zahid beat Ringerr back to back..

Extremely impressive performance by Zahid, to say the least. He made a top 4 (or so) ranked international senior wrestler look slow, flat-footed, and one-dimensional, i.e. completely reliant on that inside tie to initiate any meaningful offense.

Too bad Zahid is a tweener for 86 kg and will never in a million years make 74 kg. He should bump up to 184 next year (he would win, in my opinion) and start the process of preparing for 2020, because he showed today he has the potential to make it interesting with two more years of development.

Yeah, Zahid is a tweener by choice right now. He will make a great 86

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#20 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

Zahid in two straight and I cant wait to celebrate the " I enjoyed the Kyle Dake era"  thread.  

• GranbyTroll and SC_Wrestling like this
MAGA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users