• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#21 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

I think Zahid has a real chance and I think his length is a real problem for guys like Dake and Dieringer who are plenty strong but have blown up 74 KG frames.  I also think his level changes are out of this world.  And unlike a few of our young freestyle marvels, he has no problems generating his own offense.  That's why I said all year he was a clear favorite over Hall.  He is one of my absolute favorite college wrestlers on any team.  

And I don't necessarily think Dake is a bad matchup for him, I just don't think he can use the same match strategy against Dake and I don't think how both guys beat Dieringer indicates what happens between them.  Constant attacking against Dake will get you in trouble at some point no matter how good you are at not giving up stuff off your own shots.  I think Zahid needs to pick his spots against Dake. 

#22 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,761 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Does Zahid have more length than
Taylor?

#23 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

I said he would not beat Deiringer.  Eating crow now.  Fantastic day for Zahid.

mspart

• airmail likes this

#24 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

I felt Ringer would win 2 tight but clear decisions.   I was shocked when Zahid went out and started to score and seemingly at will.   The way he shut down Ringer was unreal.   I expect Dake wins at Final X, but Zahid has arrived.    

• spladle08 likes this

#25 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

I doubted Dake , every time I was wrong. Not this time.

#26 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

I'm not going to say Zahid will win, because Dake is a gamer and finds ways to win...usually.  I am looking forward to it though.  I'm rooting for Zahid to pull off the upset, and he has the skill to do it. It's just a question of whether Dake can come up with a win as he has against a lot of other opponents.  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#27 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

I'm amazed by Zahid today, but I'm not so sure that what he demolished Ringer with will work on Dake.  Dake will be hugging the ground in his gorilla two hands down stance, and if Zahid shoots into it, he will send him flying on chest wraps and crotch lifts to make him pay when Ringer didn't at all.

• wrestlingnerd likes this

#28 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Who is coaching Valencia? I think Dake will be well scouted, so that chest lock opportunity may very well not present itself.

#29 CA_Wrestler

CA_Wrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Who is coaching Valencia? I think Dake will be well scouted, so that chest lock opportunity may very well not present itself.

Zeke Jones, Chris Pendleton and Lee Pritts.

#30 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Then yes, I have no doubts Valencia will be prepared as will Kyle Dake. It's all about finishing shots cleanly.

#31 rstrong

rstrong

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Dake > Zahid

#32 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

He may very well be. That's why they wrestle.

#33 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:49 AM

Gosh and to think Hall was upset he lost to this guy in the finals. I think Hall is going 163 after seeing this!!! Dake better get his this year!!!!!! Can you imagine Zahid vs Taylor in 2020. Wonder if Bo can make advancements once he graduates college. Man we are looking good as a team!!!!

Edited by PRyan2012, 21 May 2018 - 02:54 AM.

#34 nyum

nyum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Does Dake hang it up if Zahid beats him this year?

#35 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

Does Dake hang it up if Zahid beats him this year?

Probably not being JB aging. will go through 2020 for sure. It is all about Olympic Gold. World gold is great but Olympic Gold almost solidifies ones worth in the wrestling world...ie $$$ If you are a NCAA champ and Olympic champ your future is set if you have a good head on your shoulders.

Edited by PRyan2012, 21 May 2018 - 03:07 AM.

#36 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

Zahid 2 years from now, competing up against DT and Cox, is going to be just as intriguing as 74kg race between JB/Burroughs/Ringer. 
Man we are going to have a solid back end of our line-up, everyone could be an Olympic Medalist. 
I also expect Zain and Fix/Lee to emerge as medal contenders by then. We are going to be tough to beat in 20/20

#37 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

If you shoot from distance like Zahid tends to do a lot, you are taking that risk. It's not a move you can "scout" to avoid unless you change your style. Even JB got caught in it. The way to get a TD on Dake is to clear his arms and then shoot--infinitely easier said than done--and even then you're going to get a scramble. Zahid is so quick that he may catch Dake flat-footed and blow through him a la JB. But now that Dake is expecting that shot, I find it hard to believe he can do to Dake what he did to Ringer.

That low single from Zahid is lethal, but Dake is the type of scrambler who can score off of low shots more often than not.

I DO think it's a bad style matchup for Zahid for those reasons. I see it as Dake in 2.

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#38 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:19 AM

Gosh and to think Hall was upset he lost to this guy in the finals. I think Hall is going 163 after seeing this!!! Dake better get his this year!!!!!! Can you imagine Zahid vs Taylor in 2020. Wonder if Bo can make advancements once he graduates college. Man we are looking good as a team!!!!

I agree that Hall is probably headed down. He is not cracking the US team even as the third wheel at 174 or 189. At 163, at least he can be on the team, although he won't start until JB retires.

Zahid vs. DT 2020. I am very much looking forward to that!! Zahid has the frame and length to nullify DT's reach and leverage advantage and he is quicker than DT, albeit less polished. I think DT pounds him today but in two years, it could be very interesting indeed. Bo Nickal won't beat either guy, in my opinion. He got destroyed by Zahid the last time they wrestled and Zahid has only improved, and very substantially, since then.

#39 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:40 AM

Yes but father time is not on JB side by 2020. He will be 34/35. Hall's best chance in 163 and if he progresses or IMAR or Dake. So many things can change! Another young stud? I really think we can repeat as a team!

#40 steen-hooph

steen-hooph

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:57 AM

Valencia v. Dake should be great. Let's hope it lives up to the hype. Dake's defense/scrambling is superior to Ringer's so I expect a different type of match. Dake's offense is more diversified as well. This match tops the list of final x matches I am looking forward to. 

1. Dake v. Valencia

2. Fix v. Gilman-Lots of hype on Fix and he looked great this weekend. Little trash talk right after too..."I'm coming!"

3. Stieber v. McKenna-tOSU v. tOSU and Stieber can be vulnerable and great seemingly at any time. 

4. JB v. IMar-Just curious to see the gap. 

5. Gwiz v. Coon-Gwiz has looked really good but Coon is huge and could see him getting it done actually.

6. Colon v. Garrett-I think Garrett may turn it around if he can tone it down. Looked good in the finals. Hoping for an all out assault by both wrestlers like last time.

Tie 7. Taylor v. Reenan-Just like watching Taylor wrestle, but don't expect this to be competitive.

Tie 7. Snyder v. Gadsen-Was intrigued last time and Snyder torched him. Like watching Snyder as well though.

9. Cox v. Zilmer-likely to be very controlled, but a big Mizzou fan so I moved it ahead of Green Chamberlain.

10. Green v. Chamberlain-Expect Green to win, just not looking as forward to this as the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users