• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#41 straggler

straggler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

So it has gone Taylor is the future and will beat Dake, then Dieringer, then Imar, then Hall and now Valencia who will certainly overtake him, just you wait, etc., etc.   

#42 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:34 AM

So it has gone Taylor is the future and will beat Dake, then Dieringer, then Imar, then Hall and now Valencia who will certainly overtake him, just you wait, etc., etc.   

Completely agree, Dake has been our world team rep the past 10 years for a reason! He is untouchable and people need to get that through their heads!

• LoStNuMbEr, Billyhoyle and boconnell like this

#43 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:12 AM

Completely agree, Dake has been our world team rep the past 10 years for a reason! He is untouchable and people need to get that through their heads!

I know you're being factious, but aside from right when he bumped up the weight, he has not really lost to anyone who wasn't a world/olympic medalist in a long time.

#44 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,572 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

The last time Zahid and Nickal wrestled is the only time they wrestled to the best of my recollection. A 2 match set where the 2nd match was decided by 1 pt.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#45 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:28 AM

I know you're being factious, but aside from right when he bumped up the weight, he has not really lost to anyone who wasn't a world/olympic medalist in a long time.

Of course he has only lost to great people, but that said he has still beenmour world team rep 0 times so to act as if he has yet to be "dethroned" is just silly as he has never had a throne to begin with. 

Only person in the last year to even sniff at Ringer was Dake in the 5-5 OPEN decision, and then Zahid just mauled him, in the first senior level event he has competed in at this new weight. 

So to ridicule people for saying "wow wonder if Zahid will give Dake problems" by listening off all the people who he has beaten is silly. 

Both Zahid and Dake have been our Senior rep at the world championships an equal number of times to this point.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#46 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

Yes but father time is not on JB side by 2020. He will be 34/35. Hall's best chance in 163 and if he progresses or IMAR or Dake. So many things can change! Another young stud? I really think we can repeat as a team!

Burroughs will be on the younger side of 32 when the Olympics roll around. 

• pjm46 likes this

#47 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

I think Dake will win but I will cheering for Zahid bc he doesn't constantly gripe & complain to the ref.
  • silver and SC_Wrestling like this

#48 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

The last time Zahid and Nickal wrestled is the only time they wrestled to the best of my recollection. A 2 match set where the 2nd match was decided by 1 pt.

Zahid beat him 11/0 in the first bout and 1/0 in the second bout (best of three).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007, 21 May 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#49 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'll say it again--Zahid is the answer.  The question--the next American to win multiple world gold medals.    

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#50 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Of course he has only lost to great people, but that said he has still beenmour world team rep 0 times so to act as if he has yet to be "dethroned" is just silly as he has never had a throne to begin with. 

Only person in the last year to even sniff at Ringer was Dake in the 5-5 OPEN decision, and then Zahid just mauled him, in the first senior level event he has competed in at this new weight. 

So to ridicule people for saying "wow wonder if Zahid will give Dake problems" by listening off all the people who he has beaten is silly. 

Both Zahid and Dake have been our Senior rep at the world championships an equal number of times to this point.

That's fair

#51 straggler

straggler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Well the main problem Dake has faced is some guy named Jordan Burroughs. With the exception of Snyder no one else was making the team if Burroughs was the incumbent they had to unseat. If people think Valencia has a shot, fine. That's why they wrestle the matches. But it seems every guy Dake faces is supposedly the future. 

#52 lu1979

lu1979

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

I'll say it again--Zahid is the answer.  The question--the next American to win multiple world gold medals.    

The answer to your question will be Lee or Fix - to be decided later

#53 maligned

maligned

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:34 PM

Does Zahid have more length than
Taylor?

Functionally, yes. His torso is shorter, his limbs are longer, and he's faster.  Dake may be able to chest lock him, but it will be like trying to turn a neckless giraffe with how much base Zahid can create with his long arms and legs.

147262314.jpg

• headshuck, spladle08, GoNotQuietly and 1 other like this

#54 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Burroughs will be on the younger side of 32 when the Olympics roll around. 

Sorry must of been thinking about Varner-he will be 34 in 2020.

#55 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Which would then allow him to spin behind instead. By the time you’re in the neckless giraffe position against s guy like Dake, you’ve basically conceded the TD.
  • GoNotQuietly likes this

#56 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:48 AM

Someone will have to stay home in 2020 at 189. Taylor or Zahid. I didn't think I would be talking like that about Zahid so soon. Unless Taylor can grow into 213:-) Can he beat Snyder? From what I heard no. Dake will go down and try and beat an old JB. But in two years there will be new younger guns that are better and hungry! Good problem with the team USA! This is the best season I have ever seen with our team! 

#57 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

Snyder would eat two Taylors for breakfast. Let's get real. There's no way anyone is moving UP to try to take Snyder out. The gap will only widen with age and a practically nonexistent par terre game at the moment on Snyder's side.

One other guy to throw in the mix at 189 is Nickal. While I don't think he'll be the guy, maybe ever, you can't discount the possibility that he becomes a freestyle savant a la Saitiev if all he does is train freestyle. He has the balls, creativity, and athleticism to make tremendous progress in the style quickly, in my opinion.

As for Zahid, I want to see more first before we proclaim him the new anything, but damn, what he did to Ringer, was impressive. In the back of my mind, I still have memories of the complete and utter beating the Iranian kid gave him two BTSes ago and some of the struggles he had more recently than that in college, where he won but not impressively or with certainty. Just trying to get a balanced picture of the young stud, not saying he's not as good as he looks.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 22 May 2018 - 01:16 AM.

• spladle08 likes this

#58 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:09 AM

The answer to your question will be Lee or Fix - to be decided later

Both are amazing.  So is Steveson.  But no one has more pure talent than Zahid.  He has incredible athleticism to go with a high wrestling IQ.  He's not exactly like Burroughs but there are obvious similarities.  

W-Nerd:  The only folk result that matters with Zahid is his clear cut finals victory over an almost equally talented Mark Hall.  Hall was one of the top five wrestlers in the country this season and Zahid shot him off the mat.  Now he's done the same to Ringer.  When he beats Dake, will you jump on the bandwagon?  

#59 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

W-Nerd:  The only folk result that matters with Zahid is his clear cut finals victory over an almost equally talented Mark Hall.  Hall was one of the top five wrestlers in the country this season and Zahid shot him off the mat.  Now he's done the same to Ringer.  When he beats Dake, will you jump on the bandwagon?  

I don't think he'll beat Dake but if he beats Dake, how can you not? Dake has beaten world champions and Olympic champions already in his career. Zahid taking Ringer out and then Dake would be an enormous statement. I don't think ti's a good matchup for Zahid though.

As for pure talent, I agree he's special. His victory over Hall was outstanding. But if you discount his other matches completely, you're committing the same mistake as those who only look at Logan Stieber's gold medal and forget about the rest of his very weird career so far. You have to look at the complete picture because consistency is what makes multi-time world champs, as you're calling for Zahid, not just talent.

#60 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:01 AM

Ok.  Let me back pedal slightly.  I think he has the talent to be a Burroughs/Monday/Kemp/Schultz type.  Obviously two things matter--health and continued development.  I do think he can beat Dake but Dake has an amazing skill set in his own right.  Still Zahid is big at the weight and that always helps.  He's larger than Ringer and Dake.  

Stieber's career has been weird especially since he won his world title.  One wonders how much it hurts him not to have Lou Rosselli around?  

Folk is such a grind that everyone has the occasional struggle--except Cael.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users