If they both make the team then Zahid is clearly ahead of Fix.  Of course my hope is all of these guys just keep leap frogging each other accomplishment for accomplishment.  

I truly think Snyder has ushered in a golden age of USA wrestling with his combination of youth and achievement.  

How would it be clear?  Fix would have a junior world gold and win over defending world silver.  Zahid would have junior world silver and two wins over guys who have never medaled (although they are both undoubtedly medal threats).  I don't think you could say one is clearly better than the other if both make the team, but Fix would have the better credentials on paper.

Edited by Billyhoyle

I guess it's a good problem to have, who is better ... Zahid, Fix, Stevenson, Lee ? Let's see who makes the world team Zahid of Fix. It they both make it, does Fix get the nod because he beat a returning Silver Medalist ? Is Gilman better than Dake ?

You can lawyer the cra p out of the 'this happened that happened'. Dake is better than Gilman who caught a good draw in a post Olympic year. Zahid looks to be a bit better than Fix, a really little bit. I like both Zahid and Fix's chances. I like Fix's a little more. Lee is out of the discussion this year as is Stevenson. One isn't competing the other was beat out. Stevenson versus all save Gwiz and Coon is a tactical issue. Versus the top two, he just isn't there yet. Maybe he has a turn the corner thing, in a few months like Snyder, we will sée. Lee and Fix own the weight by next year. Heavyweight is fun again. 86 is fun. Our young guns are just amazing. Hoping Zain is not concussion protocols out. He is solid too. Edited by sgallan

I agree.The fact that so many of these young bucks are friends and all of a sudden, after one summer, their buddy who used to drill and hang out with them over the summer became the world's best P4P wrestler has to be insanely motivating. It's one thing to have an idol you've been glorifying since you're a kid, and quite another when that idol is your peer.

Gotta give Coach Slay a lot of credit for what’s going on right now. He was instrumental in the development of the RTC’s as well as his work as developmental coach at the OTC, where he worked with all these guys we are talking about, winning titles and medals and the cadet, junior and Snyder now at the senior level.

At this point it is all predictions.

A better question is who will have the most senior world medals/golds?

I think Gable starts winning world medals as soon as he makes our team. Could be next year, Olympics or maybe 2021.

If Fix makes the team this year he has a shot at a medal. Maybe 25%?

Lee I assume will try to make the team next year

If fix and Lee stay at the same weight, gable likely wins the most medals because I’m not totally sure if either fix or Lee be come the consistent team member. They may end up stopping each other from that.

I agree.The fact that so many of these young bucks are friends and all of a sudden, after one summer, their buddy who used to drill and hang out with them over the summer became the world's best P4P wrestler has to be insanely motivating. It's one thing to have an idol you've been glorifying since you're a kid, and quite another when that idol is your peer.

Those a bit older remember well the influence Dan Gable had on his fellow wrestlers. Many credit him for that "extra" that pushed them to higher placings and titles.

That said - if Valencia can work with John Smith to finesse his technique he may well become a world beater.

Those a bit older remember well the influence Dan Gable had on his fellow wrestlers. Many credit him for that "extra" that pushed them to higher placings and titles.

That said - if Valencia can work with John Smith to finesse his technique he may well become a world beater.

I agree. A lot of similarities in their approaches and styles. Edited by sgallan

Yep.  Z's double is more of a long armed low double than an explosive blast double.  It reminds me of the best of Coleman Scott (who also reminded me of Smith).  

He wrestles like Zeke too.

Zahid is really quite impressive.  To beat Ringer like that is amazing, especially because Ringer appeared to be closing the gap with Dake.  Will be very interesting when they meet for sure. 

I would pick Dake in this one, this year.  But Zahid has shown he is tough and he might just be able to do it.  Imagine that, beating a 4 time NCAA champ and perennial #2 guy on the world team, only losing to world and olympic medallists.  It will be interesting and fun to watch for sure.

mspart

Dake is seasoned, tough as nails, and now clicking on all cylinders.  His low stance and freakish defense will present problems for Valencia.  I see Dake coming out strong and taking the first one relatively clearly; then winning in the second match more closely.

Dake is seasoned, tough as nails, and now clicking on all cylinders.  His low stance and freakish defense will present problems for Valencia.  I see Dake coming out strong and taking the first one relatively clearly; then winning in the second match more closely.

Agreed. Not a Dake fan but would not bet against him. He's a winner. Don't know what happened to Ringer against Z. He seemed to have no offense or sense of urgency when he was behind. 

Agreed. Not a Dake fan but would not bet against him. He's a winner. Don't know what happened to Ringer against Z. He seemed to have no offense or sense of urgency when he was behind.

When I saw N.Jackson blow thru ringer with a double in the first second of their match, I questioned his preparation.

I am a fan of ZV and he looked great against AD. ZV should enter the match against KD with all the confidence in the world and I expect it to be a tough hard fought and close match. I really dont like KD but I still think he wins 2 close matches to none. Maybe 2-3 point victories in each.

As much as I want ZV to be the next young world gold medalist it is still too hard to pick against KD at this time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've seen dieringer lose to far less talented of wrestlers than Valencia. I'm thinking dieringer was not running on all cylinders. Should of been closer. Valencia was certainly dominant and hope he continues. Would like to see him on senior level against the worlds best.

Big fan of Kyle Dake here and firmly believe he is far and away our best shot at a medal at 79 kg.    Zahid is one of my favorites as well, but putting USA first here, we need Dake to win this match up.    I've got Dake in 2 straight and I have him in the world final.  He's just unreal with how tough he's become.   

I've seen dieringer lose to far less talented of wrestlers than Valencia. I'm thinking dieringer was not running on all cylinders. Should of been closer. Valencia was certainly dominant and hope he continues. Would like to see him on senior level against the worlds best.

You have?  When? At what level?

In DI he went 133-4, with 3 of those losses to Derek St. John.  The other was to Vollrath(his freshman year).  All 4 were in his 1st 2 seasons.

In High School he was a 4x Finalist and 3X Champ.  He was a Fargo AA 9 times over that span, and was a 4X Champ in 2009 and 2010.

In Freestyle, he was the Junior National Champ in 2012 and 2013.  He lost in the 2nd round to the returning silver medalist in 2012 and took silver in 2013.  After graduating, he has taken 3rd(losing to Howe), 3rd(losing to Dake) and now 3rd again(losing to Valencia) at the last 3 trials. At the last 2 US Opens he took 2nd to Dake this year and 3rd to Dake the year before.

Of those who is "far less talented" than Valencia?  What other losses am I missing?????