Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

True 3rd matches

Correct. Sanders/Ramos, Simmons/Eierman, Downey/Perry and Walz/Schaffer are the true 3rd matches. I'd assume that's right and Walz would get the spot if Schaffer can't go. Maybe they could push Schaffer/Walz to the last Final X if the extra 2 weeks would make a difference?

Heard at least Ramos said he has no interest in the true 3rd match and said Sanders could simply have it. Reason for this is that the stipend for 3rd is so minimal that it doesn't justify the costs of travel assuming you even win the match. Unsure of how it will all play out but I tend to agree with Tony's thinking on the subject.

Imagine 57kg next year... Possible that true 3rd may be any ofbthe following four STUDS: Gilman, Fix, Lee, NATO.

Wow!

And then in 2020, one would assume Colon, Garrett, Mega, and Graff will all come back down as well...

Heard at least Ramos said he has no interest in the true 3rd match and said Sanders could simply have it. Reason for this is that the stipend for 3rd is so minimal that it doesn't justify the costs of travel assuming you even win the match. Unsure of how it will all play out but I tend to agree with Tony's thinking on the subject.

I think this is the toughest piece of criticism yet for the FinalX format. 

Are the top two guys are getting their expenses covered?

When will we find out who is actually competing?

Beyond travel expenses, I imagine making weight again for someone like Ramos must be tough. Downey as well based on how bad he looked in the first round at both nationals and the challenge tournament.

Mizzou Wrestling Twitter just posted something about Cox wrestling this weekend at Lehigh.

However, no mention of Eierman which makes me wonder if he is wrestling his "true 3rd" match ?

Anyone know if there have been instances where the second or even third guy on the US national team has wrestled at a major international meet because the top guy was injured, couldn't make weight, or something of the sort?   I think that guys further down the ladder have had a chance at the World Cup; can't recall a similar situation at the World Championships or Olympics.    In any event, guys on the team get more exposure, some money (anyone know how much?), and a chance to train at special camps.

Anyone know if there have been instances where the second or even third guy on the US national team has wrestled at a major international meet because the top guy was injured, couldn't make weight, or something of the sort?   I think that guys further down the ladder have had a chance at the World Cup; can't recall a similar situation at the World Championships or Olympics.    In any event, guys on the team get more exposure, some money (anyone know how much?), and a chance to train at special camps.

I think the stipend from USA Wrestling is $1000 for the #1 guy $750 for the #2 guy and $500 for #3 guy per month.  I believe USA Wrestling helps with tournaments/ travel for national team members along with their club ( TMWC, Sunkist etc.)

Does anyone know who is actually wrestling for true third tonight? Here is who is supposed to wrestle, but it sounds like some are dropping out?? Is that true?

57 kg: Runner-up Tony Ramos (Sunkist Kids) vs. third-place Zach Sanders (Minnesota Storm)
65 kg: Runner-up Jaydin Eierman (Titan Mercury) vs. third-place Andy Simmons (New York AC)
86 kg: Runner-up Richard Perry (New York AC) vs. third-place Pat Downey (Titan Mercury)
97 kg: Runner-up Austin Schafer (New York AC) vs. third-place Ty Walz (Titan Mercury)

This is a nice end of career moment for Ramos. Most people don't get to win their last match. After he beat Fix he said that there was no way he could show up in the UNC room if he lost to a college kid. Since I am assuming he wants to continue coaching he will no longer be competing since he will be behind two college kids.

I assume your suggesting that Ramos is hanging up his shoes?  Did he do so?  Has he said so?  

57kg next year (potentially):

* Gilman

* Fix

* Lee

* NaTo

* Ramos

Yowzers

I feel that Ramos would actually do better at 61kg.  His defense may be able to fend off the Nashon's and Colon's of the world?  Maybe?  Especially with 5-8 extra pounds of muscle.

Edited by treep2000

If you are talking to me Treep he said in an interview that there was no way he could continue to coach college athletes if he was out there losing to college athletes. Since he has lost to Fix (nd will most likely lose to Lee who have plenty of eligibility left I am assuming he is going to retire since he seems firmly entrenched in coaching.

Especially with Erisman's spot on the UNC staff opening up.