Im sure there will be changes after this year. Im a fan of it so far. 

I will say this - does it really make sense for there to be a "world team trial" tournament, though? I dont mind there being an event in that place, but why not take its format and just make it the US open/nationals? It just doesnt make sense to me for it to be called WTT - since our team isnt exactly determined there anymore, which again I am fine with. 

As in - make Nationals the last event before Final X. Make all the events before Nationals qualifiers to Nationals. 

Maybe the date The Open sits on could become the "Last chance" qualifier for nationals? Not sure. Just my thoughts which dont mean much. 

I am really enjoying FS season so far though

I am predicting low attendance as usual. I hope the venues sell out, however interest in wrestling declines in the summer.

PSU is already sold out. My guess is Lehigh will do well, if not sell out also. Lincon will hopefully at least look better than last year. 

Im sure there will be changes after this year. Im a fan of it so far.

I will say this - does it really make sense for there to be a "world team trial" tournament, though? I dont mind there being an event in that place, but why not take its format and just make it the US open/nationals? It just doesnt make sense to me for it to be called WTT - since our team isnt exactly determined there anymore, which again I am fine with.

As in - make Nationals the last event before Final X. Make all the events before Nationals qualifiers to Nationals.

Maybe the date The Open sits on could become the "Last chance" qualifier for nationals? Not sure. Just my thoughts which dont mean much.

I am really enjoying FS season so far though

It's actually called the world team trials challenge tournament. That's just a lot to say in casual conversation...

PSU is already sold out. My guess is Lehigh will do well, if not sell out also. Lincon will hopefully at least look better than last year. 

Just went to the ticketing site and there are thousands of tickets available for State College. Looks like hardly any tickets have been sold for Lehigh.

This is going to be a bust if we are looking at tickets sold.

Just went to the ticketing site and there are thousands of tickets available for State College. Looks like hardly any tickets have been sold for Lehigh.

This is going to be a bust if we are looking at tickets sold.

I see - I thought I saw that PSU was sold out. My mistake! We’ll see, j hope it does well obviously lol

Three sites with three weights at each was a stupid idea. I like the rest of it and enjoy the new process but breaking final x infi 3 events was silly.

I like splitting it up because you get people in different hotbeds coming out for it.  Got a buddy from NYC going to one because it's close of enough trip compared to Vegas and MPLS.

That said, while I like the multiple events and spreading out the fan base - does seem weird to have two events in PA.  Somewhere like Columbus would have made sense for the 3rd one instead of Lehigh.  Then again it's probably a matter of having venues, bids, etc. 

I think the end game is to try to get more people who travel only for NCAAs (and maybe OTT in Carver) to attend one if it's within a few hours drive.  If you do, as is often the case with attending wrestling events, you keep going back if it's close enough.  A noble goal, lets see if it works...

Edited by Gantry

I was upgraded from general admission to fourth row center section at Lehigh late last week due to weak sales. The green dots in the image below are all the available reserved seats at that site, and that's after people like me were upgraded.

mojgC4h.png

I'm surprised that the catchy "Final X" name hasn't led to more ticket sales.  Maybe they should have stuck with "Prowl."

Rumor is being spread that one site is being switched to Columbus.  Any truth?

Isn't it a bit late to change the event locations?  Seems really last minute/difficult for fans to book planes/hotels.  
Edited by Billyhoyle

Three sites with three weights at each was a stupid idea. I like the rest of it and enjoy the new process but breaking final x infi 3 events was silly.

Women's finals are also included in these events so you'll have 7 weights contested at two of the events and 6 at one. 

I was upgraded from general admission to fourth row center section at Lehigh late last week due to weak sales. The green dots in the image below are all the available reserved seats at that site, and that's after people like me were upgraded.

Wow, I mean that looks like 100 tickets were sold.  is that up to date?   Lehigh usually gets good crowd, so that surprises me.  I know people on the PSU forums were complaining about the cost of tickets, maybe it's the same for Lehigh and keeping people away.

Is Lehigh/Bethlehem the type of place that completely empties out once spring semester/quarter is done? I know a lot of attendees probably won't be Lehigh students but I imagine college towns that sort of shut down during the summer become less of a travel destination... less to do, fewer dining and entertainment options.

The biggest issue with Lehigh is no hometown guys to cheer for.

State College has Taylor

Lincoln has Burroughs and Green

Lehigh has ???

Yeah it seemed like a weird choice, especially with Columbus being left off the list. Snyder was already in and Stieber was likely. McKenna will be there too. Nato has a shot, although he decided to have surgery instead.

The decision was bizarre. I know it is a wrestling area but college wrestling fans are typically fans of a team and individuals on that team. While most of us would show up if it was nearby, most fans won’t.

I don’t show up to March madness games, even when they are 15 minutes from my house (happens every year almost). If my alma mater was playing? I’d def be there.

Based on Snyder alone being guaranteed in the finals, Columbus would have sold far more tickets than Lehigh at this point.  Has to be some criteria set up ahead of time, particularly giving preference to a host site that has at least one wrestler set in advance to appear in the finals.

Would the NCAA ever pick up on the Final X idea and break up the tournament to stage it in multiple locations? If Final X concept succeeds and the NCAA repeatedly sells out its single location I could see them trying .... especially when female teams take hold.

The Lehigh Valley area has access to huge population areas compared to State College. Too bad they don't have some Jersey or Eastern PA heroes to drive sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on Snyder alone being guaranteed in the finals, Columbus would have sold far more tickets than Lehigh at this point.  Has to be some criteria set up ahead of time, particularly giving preference to a host site that has at least one wrestler set in advance to appear in the finals.

I agree but lets not forget that we have no idea what sites they tried to get and who was willing to do it.  Maybe Columbus couldn't get university approval, had another event the day available, etc.  Picking places with vibrant RTC's makes the most sense, but it's a two-way-street...