madcat11

Who will corner Stieber and McKenna?

I was pondering this last night. 

Maybe Logan trains in Oklahoma for this particular event? I dont know if that would be "fair" per-say, but it would make more sense for him to go somewhere else for a month I suppose. 

As far as who actually stands/sit in the corners? Not sure. As a coach, you probably dont want to have something like that mess with either of their heads, but I dont think that would be a problem for Logan. Probably wouldnt be an issue for Joey either so long as it is explained to them. Theyre both high level athletes who surely understand this is a very special situation. 

Who the hell cares. They are not sending in plays like a football coach - they are props for the fans. Put Pat Downey and Dylan Palacio in each corner and it would change the outcome.

Corners absolutely matter. I’m assuming you wrestled. Did your corner not help?

Corners absolutely matter. I’m assuming you wrestled. Did your corner not help?

Thank you very much, yes I wrestled. I had fantastic coaches that happily called out instructions from the corner. At least I assume they were, I never heard a word. Apparently, wrestling took up my focus.

Thank you very much, yes I wrestled. I had fantastic coaches that happily called out instructions from the corner. At least I assume they were, I never heard a word. Apparently, wrestling took up my focus.

To each their own. I relied on them for clock updates, points and occasionally for a reminder not to let ride a guy who has reversed me twice (they were a bit mad)

As I’ve been saying, Stieber by a lot. Can’t see the upset. Big brother + familiarity + stronger + better is too much for young McKenna to overcome at this stage of his career. Even against an erratic Logie Bear.

Agreed. I can see them splitting the first two matches, but I can't see Stieber losing 2 in a row for the reasons you mentioned. 

I'm not writing off McKenna.  He's very strong defensively, and he and Logan know each other extremely well.  I could see him stifling most of Logan's leg attacks.  Logan has relied on a lot of second period comebacks, which could be difficult to do against McKenna.

That said, Stieber is definitely the favorite. 

I can’t even see a split. I may underestimating Joey but I’ll take Stieber twice in a row very comfortably.

I've underestimated Mckenna for the entire last year. I'm going to assume he gets at least one of these. He is so solid positionally and we know how Logie gets a little rambunctious at times. Logie's willingness to give up points and Mckenna's reluctance too will keep it tight. No idea who will actually win though, Logie should be favored I reckon

My gut tells me Logan owns this matchup but McKenna figured out Eierman in folk and free while Logan had a surprisingly hard time.  Does that mean anything?  It might mean a bit. 

The only other thought is that he and Logan have wrestled and drilled together a lot.   I think knowing each other stylistically benefits McKenna since Logan began the year as the decidedly better of the two.  

But Logan in two.  

Who the hell cares. They are not sending in plays like a football coach - they are props for the fans. Put Pat Downey and Dylan Palacio in each corner and it would NOT change the outcome.

Everyone should care. Not because it is relative to the outcome, but because we have seen this before. This was the major public sticking point with Ramos leaving Iowa after OTT. I am sure the root of this ran much deeper, but it was a convenient drum for Ramos to bang in the moment.

I guarantee Tom Ryan and co. will pay extra care after learning from this very public history, to make sure neither athlete feels slighted (whether real or perceived).

Edited by JHRoseWrestling

Corner coaches matter especially in freestyle for, among other things, challenging ostensible errors in a referee's calls—throwing the cube (or stuffed animal or hand grenade, or whatever it happens to be at a tournament).   That requires a good eye, great judgment, and excellent knowledge of the ever-changing rules or their (mis)application.  For the wrestler, that involves trust in the coaches, which often develops slowly over time.

Corner coaches matter especially in freestyle for, among other things, challenging ostensible errors in a referee's calls—throwing the cube (or stuffed animal or hand grenade, or whatever it happens to be at a tournament).   That requires a good eye, great judgment, and excellent knowledge of the ever-changing rules or their (mis)application.  For the wrestler, that involves trust in the coaches, which often develops slowly over time.

I would like to see the data on how much challenges help vs hurt. I don't know the answer, but I would guess it would either be a push or net negative to the wrestler.

I heard that Logan is now a vegetarian or a vegan, I wonder how that diet change messes with ones conditioning?  He does not look as strong or healthy as he used to.  Could be the lack of tOSU tan as well. 

Obviously the second comment is a joke, but is the first? He used to be a big meat eater, even going paleo (or something very close to it) at one point.

Obviously the second comment is a joke, but is the first? He used to be a big meat eater, even going paleo (or something very close to it) at one point.

I am not sure, but i swear I heard someone say it, maybe one of the Flo guys during one of his matches.