Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Push Out

the step out penalty is great. needs to be tweaked from how it's used in freestyle (i'd also get rid of the grounded rule) but it would immensely improve wrestling at the collegiate and high school levels. right now the 'technique' for going out of bounds is to just go out of bounds, avoid giving up any points, and restart in the center of the mat. but if there is a penalty you actually have to WRESTLE when you're on the edge of the mat. all sort of great action happens from guys wrestling at the boundary in freestyle. it rules. 

and you can still keep the cylinder rule for takedowns and pinning combos that start in bounds. 

and saying it will turn wrestling into sumo is incredibly stupid. only if you know next to nothing about either sumo or folkstyle (or both) would anyone say this.

step out penalty points are logical and good. they can't happen soon enough at all folkstyle levels. 

I hope the NCAA (or worse, high school or youth wrestling ) never uses the push out rule. It would be the end of wrestling as we know it. Imagine coaches teaching kids push out techniques? I could see some pretty high scoring matches - 20 to 19 with all 39 points coming by push outs and no take down attempts.        

That seems extremely unlikely.

Does it turn lower age freestyle into only pushouts with no takedown attempts?

I hope the NCAA (or worse, high school or youth wrestling ) never uses the push out rule. It would be the end of wrestling as we know it. Imagine coaches teaching kids push out techniques? I could see some pretty high scoring matches - 20 to 19 with all 39 points coming by push outs and no take down attempts.

Ridiculous assessment of the push out rule. Really ridiculous!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The push out rule came because refs wouldn’t call stalling when guys played the line or went out of bounds to avoid being scored upon. It just doesn’t seem right.

I like baseball: you can go out of bounds and catch a pop out and a runner can try to advance. Making the out of bounds "valuable" also increases the action. Only team sports that have a relatively open and clear o.o.b. can do this; other sports allow far too many people to congregate/interfere in the o.o.b. area.

Back in the day we limited action and scoring by allowing for o.o.b. too easily, especially freestyle where all you had to do was leap forward and touch the o.o.b and your opponent couldn't score on you.  We were screaming for ways to improve the sport back then as we are now. One answer turned out to be literally in front of us: Take the stress off the ref and make the o.o.b a reward- not a punishment- for being aggressive..like baseball.

I prefer the skills it takes to score in folkstyle at the edge over the push-out, but I must admit, two body lengths from the cylinder, gets a little hairy.  There never really seems to be enough mat to safely use those techniques where the mat circles are only a few feet apart.  Count me as prefer folkstyle, but could live with the push-out.