Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Push Out

I dislike the pushout rule. I also dislike referees calling "passivitiy" when the only wrestler taking any shots is the "passive" wrestler and the other guy is just locking up and pushing. I've seen way too much of that. If all a guy wants to do is lock up and push THAT is stalling/passivity TOO, when you think about it.

Still subjective.  I saw a call of action or some other term (I rarely watch freestyle) when one wrestler was just sprawling and stepped out.   No step out point.  My opinion was different than the refs   Still subjective.  

The big problem with push-outs in folk is that too many guys would make it a big part of their offense.  It's not hard to envision matches where one wrestler's entire strategy would be to push and block without taking a shot.   We'd be subtracting offense from a sport that already has too much boring mat wrestling.  

This year's NCAA finals were fantastic.  The college sport has been getting better.  Adding in the push-out is a mistake.  

Still subjective.  I saw a call of action or some other term (I rarely watch freestyle) when one wrestler was just sprawling and stepped out.   No step out point.  My opinion was different than the refs   Still subjective.  

I don't want to hijack the thread (he says, as he hijacks the thread) but can someone explain to me the caution and 1 rule?  That seemed to be more of a problem and subjective call this weekend than the pushout rule.

I dislike the pushout rule. I also dislike referees calling "passivitiy" when the only wrestler taking any shots is the "passive" wrestler and the other guy is just locking up and pushing. I've seen way too much of that. If all a guy wants to do is lock up and push THAT is stalling/passivity TOO, when you think about it.

exactly...negative wrestling

have to be on your feet. if you have sprawled to your knees... and are then pushed out... no score

I don't want to hijack the thread (he says, as he hijacks the thread) but can someone explain to me the caution and 1 rule?  That seemed to be more of a problem and subjective call this weekend than the pushout rule.

its like fleeing to avoid

at least in this situation..on the feet

its like fleeing to avoid

at least in this situation..on the feet

It is a pretty stiff penalty as well.  It then becomes the tiebreaker.  So, for instance, the situation results in a pushout, but is instead called a caution and 1.  If the score ends tied, the wrestler called for the caution loses even if he scored last or had the bigger offensive score, i.e.,  a 4 pt move or a 2 pt move over 1's.

It is a pretty stiff penalty as well.  It then becomes the tiebreaker.  So, for instance, the situation results in a pushout, but is instead called a caution and 1.  If the score ends tied, the wrestler called for the caution loses even if he scored last or had the bigger offensive score, i.e.,  a 4 pt move or a 2 pt move over 1's.

1. highest scoring technique

2. cautions

3. last score

That's the order. You have it slightly wrong.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1inRnmemk2tbJYd6QgWgTOM1cCZ_5B9t_0pOpuusKVg0/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by IronChef

i love the idea of catching a guy for two with your toe barely hanging on in the cylinder.

A step out rule doesn't eliminate that in freestyle. Also, folkstyle doesn't need to adopt the same exact rule as freestyle anyway. Folkstyle could have it be a two-foot step out, have it result in a stall warning etc., to make it fit how folkstyle plays out. 

I hope the NCAA (or worse, high school or youth wrestling ) never uses the push out rule. It would be the end of wrestling as we know it. Imagine coaches teaching kids push out techniques? I could see some pretty high scoring matches - 20 to 19 with all 39 points coming by push outs and no take down attempts.