I didn't get a chance to watch too much of the Juniors over the weekend so just catching up now.  Once again I think our team is very strong--it's going to be hard to repeat as champs, but this group might just be able to get it done.

57kg - Brandon Courtney - Heinselman has been on the freestyle stage for some time now, albeit with out bringing home any hardware, and Courtney absolutely steamrolled him in the finals.  Definite medal threat here.

61kg - Austin Gomez - A lot of similarities to Courtney, coming off of a solid redshirt year.  I would also consider him a medal threat. 

65kg - Dom Demas - This weight was a mess. Demas is tough and he's a gamer, could catch people by surprise with his upper body arsenal, I just think he's susceptible to leg attacks and an early loss at World's. 

70kg - Brady Berge - Impressive showing from him this weekend. I was impressed with his US Open as well. I'm not sure he's our best medal shot at the weight, but he's a smart wrestler. 

74kg - Mekhi Lewis - Kid is really good.  He's going to be a force next year in college.  I think he'll medal.  

79kg - Aaron Brooks - We'll see who Russia sends @ 79kg (I think Valiev has 1 more year junior eligibility? Could be off on that).  Brooks could bring home gold. 

86kg - Lou Deprez - Is really good.  He's always been tough to wrestle but his offense is significantly improved.

92kg - Jacob Warner - Warner was way too small for 97kg last year, he's looking really good after a year in redshirt and down closer to his natural weight.  His gas tank is huge.

97kg - Daniel Kerkvliet - Probably the second best wrestler on the team outside of Gable.  Oklahoma State got a gift with this kid falling into their lap. 

125kg - Gable Steveson - We'll have to see who's in the bracket.  I doubt anyone manages to keep it all that close with Gable. 

Is there no Junior World weight lower than 57 anymore? Didn’t Spencer Lee win Junior Worlds at 50Kg? Just asking because Kurt McHenry at 50Kg would make this a lot stronger team. It’s a shame Yianni couldn’t go.

Edited by Divided42

Is there no Junior World weight lower than 57 anymore? Didn’t Spencer Lee win Junior Worlds at 50Kg? Just asking because Kurt McHenry at 50Kg would make this a lot stronger team. It’s a shame Yianni couldn’t go.

They changed it.

Hopefully Mchenry can put on some size and make the team at 57 next year

Mark my words. Kerkvliet is the best wrestler, p4p, on this team, and will be the next domestic wrestler to beat Kyle snyder. It may be a few years off, but thats my prediction. (Unless he and gable do some funky exhibition match over the next few years).

Mark my words. Kerkvliet is the best wrestler, p4p, on this team, and will be the next domestic wrestler to beat Kyle snyder. It may be a few years off, but thats my prediction. (Unless he and gable do some funky exhibition match over the next few years).

Can't see him staying at 97KG

Do you think he will try for Seniors if Fix (or Gilman) wins gold? Might see the writing on the wall and focus his efforts on Pokemon. He did lose a few matches to Fix like 3 years ago so I am sure that weighs heavy on him.

I expect him to try.   He told us he was going to stick to age group until his eligibility expired but then they did away with his weight class.      I'm not clear on why he didn't go to seniors, perhaps he didn't feel he is ready.   Might just be mental since he was expecting to go juniors this year and he could be ready next year when I believe his junior eligibility will have expired.  I have heard some encouraging results in practice matches but you never know how that translates to under the lights.    I wasn't aware he had an interest in Pokemon.    It probably should not come as any surprise though.  

Lee couldn't make 50 now anyway... he turned into a ghost trying to make it 2 years ago... and clearly he has put on some size since then... the only reason he went 50 then was because fix chased him back down to the kids weight... 

I expect him to try. He told us he was going to stick to age group until his eligibility expired but then they did away with his weight class. I'm not clear on why he didn't go to seniors, perhaps he didn't feel he is ready. Might just be mental since he was expecting to go juniors this year and he could be ready next year when I believe his junior eligibility will have expired. I have heard some encouraging results in practice matches but you never know how that translates to under the lights. I wasn't aware he had an interest in Pokemon. It probably should not come as any surprise though.

I agree, still waiting to see if he shows any offense and is able to take down the top level 125 pounders and perform under the lights.

I agree, still waiting to see if he shows any offense and is able to take down the top level 125 pounders and perform under the lights.

I'm encouraged that he will be fine when he does make it back   above 50 kg, (he's on a 2 match  losing streak currently) but like you I too am cautiously optimistic.  57 kg seniors is a huge jump from where he last competed down at juniors with the little kids weights.