Eagle26

IMar vs Burroughs

Anybody think IMar has a chance? I'm picking Burroughs, but IMar has looked great lately. Granted the competition has thinned out a little at 74 (as it should when you have a Burroughs at that weight), but sometimes we don't give the newcomers a chance when they are right there (Dake a few years ago, Valencia this year). 

Anybody think IMar has a chance? I'm picking Burroughs, but IMar has looked great lately. Granted the competition has thinned out a little at 74 (as it should when you have a Burroughs at that weight), but sometimes we don't give the newcomers a chance when they are right there (Dake a few years ago, Valencia this year). 

yes if JB is hurt he has a great chance, knock on wood he doesn't I want to see him win another Title and see how everyone reacts

I mean... a best of 3...  almost 0% chance, that said, he is fresh out of college and as the runner-up is part of the team so thats pretty cool, hope he continues to improve and keeps challenging the top,  always love increasing depth. 

I'm very curious to see how he does, Imart has amazing shot defense and quickness.  I think he has a better shot countering than he does getting to his own offense, as JB will likely be the one controlling the ties.  Can't see him winning, but that's why they wrestle the matches...

The gap between the rest of the field at 74kg and Martinez is about the same as the gap between Martinez and Burroughs.  I don't think Burroughs beats him 10-0, 10-0, but it won't be very close. 

This, except I wouldn't be even a little surprised if those were the match scores if JB gets rolling early.

You all said the same thing about Valencia and Ringer... Burroughs is multi world champ for a reason though so there's a big difference between him and Ringer. I agree he should win comfortably, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Imar score some points on him.

I would be very surprised to see Imar score an offensive point on JB. I think people are forgetting the primary reason why Imart looked so good: JB cleared out the weight and Cenzo chose not to compete. One weight class's depth stands out like an anomaly, sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb, and Imart being fortunate enough to be one of the better guys who decided to wrestle for a backup spot with no chance of the starting spot doesn't all of a sudden make him any closer to JB than all the guys who left for easier roads at the next two weights up. The only guy in the US capable of beating JB is Kyle Dake, and even he is a big underdog.

I feel Imart could do some damage at 70 kg, though. Maybe now that he is done with college and is seemingly committed to a freestyle career, he will seriously consider the doable cut for next year. I don't ever see him as our starter at 74, JB or no JB, but I think he'd have a real shot at 70.

You all said the same thing about Valencia and Ringer... Burroughs is multi world champ for a reason though so there's a big difference between him and Ringer. I agree he should win comfortably, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Imar score some points on him.

No I didn’t. I picked Zahid. Comparing Ringer to JB is silly.

I would be very surprised to see Imar score an offensive point on JB. I think people are forgetting the primary reason why Imart looked so good: JB cleared out the weight and Cenzo chose not to compete. One weight class's depth stands out like an anomaly, sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb, and Imart being fortunate enough to be one of the better guys who decided to wrestle for a backup spot with no chance of the starting spot doesn't all of a sudden make him any closer to JB than all the guys who left for easier roads at the next two weights up. The only guy in the US capable of beating JB is Kyle Dake, and even he is a big underdog.

I feel Imart could do some damage at 70 kg, though. Maybe now that he is done with college and is seemingly committed to a freestyle career, he will seriously consider the doable cut for next year. I don't ever see him as our starter at 74, JB or no JB, but I think he'd have a real shot at 70.

I imagine it will depend on how his matches with JB go.

IMar will want to be at an Olympic weight next year if there is any chance he makes the team.

You never know how styles will affect outcome until you see for yourself.  I don't think IMar can beat Burroughs but he can keep it close.  Honestly, Burroughs is such a pro he's unconcerned with final score as long as he's ahead.  

Agreed. Scoring tons of points is great, but whats more important than that is just scoring more than your opponent.

Dake vs Taylor has shown us that repeatedly.