Sign in to follow this  
CaliWrestler

Frank the Tank

I'll have to watch match 3 again, but If I remember he stayed in the center and wrestled out every position for the most part. I dont think I wouldve been particularly upset if he went on the clock, but Im also not sure it was warranted. 

Not sure how many times Frank got close to scoring, I know the one time it was when Jason got the pushout. 

Franks frustrating looked like he was going to beat the crap out of Chamberlian in 3rd match, think Chamberlian should have been on shot clock?

In all the matches I watched, I was correct only about 20% on predicting negative wrestling. Holding center apparently has little emphasis here as it does internationally.

Screaming multiple times at the top of his lungs after the match was over was a very bad look.  I get frustration and giving a shove or a quick complaint, but that was just plain over the top...

I didn't catch what he was saying?  Did you guys.. Damm he was pissed.  Frank looks like he has too much testosterone

I don’t think he’s our best chance for a medal at any weight. I’ll take Stieber or JO, maybe Zain, and soon Yianni at 65, and the very proven Green at 70 any day over the Tank.

Only one of those guys you listed at 65 is actually wrestling (stieber). Frank had a much better chance at beating Steiber than Green, and with how close he was to a medal at the olympics, there's no reason to think he couldn't have gotten one this year there. I wish he would've stayed at 65!

Only one of those guys you listed at 65 is actually wrestling (stieber). Frank had a much better chance at beating Steiber than Green, and with how close he was to a medal at the olympics, there's no reason to think he couldn't have gotten one this year there. I wish he would've stayed at 65!

Since the post I was responding to rued his inability to make 65 kg in the future (obviously, he went 70 this year...), my comment stands. You may disagree, but I think he's the type of guy who can get close but not medal. Insanely strong, well-conditioned, and tough, but not enough offense to win a medal.

Frank had his window, and he made a nice run up to and in Rio. Needs to realize that time has passed him by and his window is now closed.

How many high level athletes actually do this?

To Frank’s credit, nobody gave him a shot to make the team. Then nobody gave him a shot to qualify the weight (he almost didn’t). Then he was viewed as our weakest link on the team even though he beat a stellar field to make the team and then he came very close to beating a world champion to medal.

Frank doesn’t care what you think. He could absolutely medal, but we happen to have a top 3 guy in the world manning 70kg.

Frank  had his window, and he made a nice run up to and in Rio.  Needs to realize that time has passed him by and his window is now closed.

There were some who believed this regarding Jordan Burroughs after this flop at the 2016 Olympics...

Man I hope you never coach anyone else ever. What an inspiring perspective you have.

Not sure if his window's closed; but with these performances, I question whether it was ever open at 70. However, I don't see how we could say Stieber or Zain or JO would be better options at 65 if Frank could make 65. His run of results at 65 was very, very strong. It wasn't limited to the near-medal at the Olympics. I questioned his offense too until early 2016 when he finally broke through. At 65, his lack of length isn't a hindrance like it is at 70. He is guaranteed to get in on his high crotch at least 3 times against anyone in the world in a given match. It's not always a guarantee he scores, but he gets 2's and 4's constantly even against world top 10 guys at 65.

i don't remember seeing jordan burroughs, buvaisar saitiev, alexander keraline, mijian lopez or john smith complaining that the other guy was passive. i do, however, remember several of their opponents doing everything possible to be passive and stop them from scoring.

If Frank is in for the long haul, he will be back at 65 in 2020. I'm guessing he will start prepping with a new diet and less lifting as 2020 approaches.

Like a lot of wrestlers, Frank may not be interested in shrinking his body for two years and has decided to go 70 for a while. 

Don't know Frank, but since he is an Olympian, he probably does not share the opinion of some posters that he had no chance of making the team at 70.

Frank  had his window, and he made a nice run up to and in Rio.  Needs to realize that time has passed him by and his window is now closed.

Didn't he just get 3rd at Yarigin? Also, he scored more offensive points in the match that he won than Chambo scored in the entire 3 match series (Chambo scored 1 stepout off a single). I'm not a Molinaro fan, but I don't understand the hate he's getting right now. 

Didn't he just get 3rd at Yarigin? Also, he scored more offensive points in the match that he won than Chambo scored in the entire 3 match series (Chambo scored 1 stepout off a single). I'm not a Molinaro fan, but I don't understand the hate he's getting right now.

Stating the obvious facts isn't hatred, it's reality.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk