Sign in to follow this  
CaliWrestler

Frank the Tank

Did you just compare the Tank to JB?? In wrestling??

Yes. JB is an inspiration. He gets knocked down and he gets right back up.

Telling Molinaro to give up because "his time has passed" is telling people to not try to emulate JB.

And yes, there were people on here saying JB's time was done when he flopped at the Olympics. Do you deny this?

I just think he's a bit of a cry baby, and over the top.

Being offensive and able to score in 1 of 3 matches won him 1 of 3 matches. You need to win 2 of 3 to move on - you cant rely on the ref to make the calls you need/want. Yelling at the top of your lungs and acting like a high school kid wont make anything happen except make viewers cringe and you look like an ass. 

I didn't see it so I don't know.  Only guessing.  Frank came on strong at the OTT and won it.  He did very well at the Olympics.  He has done well but not the best since.  And I think it is really frustrating to him.  And I'm guessing this all came out in that last match with Chamberlain.  He shouldn't do that, just do what is needed to win.  But, I can feel his frustration.  Dake and Taylor also have expressed frustration over not beating Cox and Burroughs.  We really have a stellar group of wrestlers and the margin is razor thin. 

mspart

i don't remember seeing jordan burroughs, buvaisar saitiev, alexander keraline, mijian lopez or john smith complaining that the other guy was passive. i do, however, remember several of their opponents doing everything possible to be passive and stop them from scoring.

Did they lose the match where the opponent was doing everything possible to be passive and stop them from scoring?

Did they lose the match where the opponent was doing everything possible to be passive and stop them from scoring?

Satiev did at least once in a big way. Karelin did once in a big way. Smith once but it was a world cup match. Not as big. Edited by sgallan

That's the chance you take if you don't put offensive points on the board.

You wrestle with what you have. It is not as though he is holding back. This is his skill set. Jamill Kelly is my favorite example of a guy who fit into rules. Great defense, no offense, and win in the clinch, all the way to a silver medal. The rules do not favor this style anymore but Frank almost got a medal and beat the wonder kind to get to the games. Good on him for finding his peak in an Olympic year.

Most of the time.very close to always, they won. Opponent's passivity didnt stop them from scoring.

Most of the time.very close to always, they won. Opponent's passivity didnt stop them from scoring.

Exactly. Wrestlers very very rarely get that upset when they win. At the end of the day that's all that matters. Had Molinaro won by 1 point and not lost he wouldnt have screamed at the end nor been so pissed off.

However, I don't see how we could say Stieber or Zain or JO would be better options at 65 if Frank could make 65.

He might be the favorite, but certainly not by a lot.  JO just beat Asgarov and Stieber just beat the defending 65kg bronze plus Aliev, right?

Edited by madcat11

He might be the favorite, but certainly not by a lot.  JO just beat Asgarov and Stieber just beat the defending 65kg bronze plus Aliev, right?

No, definitely not a favorite by a lot and maybe not even fully the favorite. But BTS results have proven not to be predictive of future results in general and Stieber's always done that: beat anybody in the world while being capable of losing to any of the top 100 in the world. I was incredibly disappointed when Frank won our spot in 2016, but he's backed it up with very consistent results at 65 all over the world. My only point is that I can't see how people would right away say he's an underdog at 65 to these other guys because of his losses to one guy at 70.

Molinaro vs Chamberlain have simply wrestled too many times and know each other too well.  They have to vary their attacks against each other or it'll always be razor thin and decided by the slightest/cheapest of margins. 

Reminds me of the old Hazewinkel vs Simmons battles

Yianni. Not a favorite now, but I think he’ll be the man very soon.

He has the skill set. Without question. But his style tends to be injury prone for any US wrestler not named Kolat or Smith. Internationally they will allow people to crank on that 'flex your way out' of a situation.

Without Retherfod, 65 is a mess.  Yes, Yianni might make a team if Retherford has injury issues as it seems, but he doesn't have the pedigree of guys like Lee/Fix/Steveson.  This looks to be the worst of the olympic weights moving forward. Stieber is very inconsistent as well.  

It's really quite a shame Pico decided to go off and get brain damage.

Without Retherfod, 65 is a mess. Yes, Yianni might make a team if Retherford has injury issues as it seems, but he doesn't have the pedigree of guys like Lee/Fix/Steveson. This looks to be the worst of the olympic weights moving forward. Stieber is very inconsistent as well.

What about McKenna?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Without Retherfod, 65 is a mess. Yes, Yianni might make a team if Retherford has injury issues as it seems, but he doesn't have the pedigree of guys like Lee/Fix/Steveson. This looks to be the worst of the olympic weights moving forward. Stieber is very inconsistent as well.

Yianni is a two time world champ. His pedigree is stellar.

What are Yianni’s results at the junior level? I simply said it’s not at the level of Stevenson, Fix, and Lee. I view them as right at the cusp of competing for world/olympic medals. 

Maybe Yianni heals up and walks through junior worlds next year....If he does, then I would view him in the same light as those three (and Mark Hall), but he has to do it first.  

What about McKenna?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think he competes for world teams, but Zain is at a different level and wouldn't be surprised if he's soon passed by Yianni and Eierman.  
Edited by Billyhoyle

yanni has not competed at the junior level because he has been injured... 2X cadet world champ... first year UWW junior he had surgery on both elbows... blew his knee out in NCAAs and still won it as a true freshmen... 

yanni's ceiling is way higher than anyone else at that weight... his credentials are way higher than anyone else at that weight...

zain's "different level" led him to 1-1 on the world stage...

to be fair, he was a cadet world champ, right?

once...

John Smith is not impressed...