Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Gadsen

I get it but isn't all about making the team? I think he could beat Cox. He did in college twice.

Don't draw those conclusions, he also pinned Snyder in college. 

Like everyone else has said, he is likely to big, and while Cox's weight isnt the deepest, Snyder has caused 97kg to be incredibly thin. Gadsen will always be top 3 and always be a World team "member" meh.... Cut ur ass off and hopefully make it to final X and lose to Cox, or don't cut as much, lose to Snyder and enjoy the benefits of being the nations #2 guy..... meh

Don't draw those conclusions, he also pinned Snyder in college.

Like everyone else has said, he is likely to big, and while Cox's weight isnt the deepest, Snyder has caused 97kg to be incredibly thin. Gadsen will always be top 3 and always be a World team "member" meh.... Cut ur ass off and hopefully make it to final X and lose to Cox, or don't cut as much, lose to Snyder and enjoy the benefits of being the nations #2 guy..... meh

I dunno, being number two in pretty much any discipline is a lot better than the rest of us are in the hundreds, thousands, or millions. Name one thing where you can claim number two. Nothing? Your entire existence is meh.

I dunno, being number two in pretty much any discipline is a lot better than the rest of us are in the hundreds, thousands, or millions. Name one thing where you can claim number two. Nothing? Your entire existence is meh.

Sorry for my excessive use of MEH, I was saying the benefits of being #2 are the same up or down a weight, so why would he kill himself making the lower weight if the benefits didn't change. Correct being the nations number 2 guy has a lot of perks, money, travel, training, why not wrestle at your more "natural" weight and still be privi to the advantages the "meh" was more so like indifferent to the idea of going down

No_2_APTSWSM.jpg

Edited by Billyhoyle

If Gadsen is okay with being the number 2 guy, then yeah be the number 2 guy at a weight that he is more comfortable with. My thought was that if he loses again to Kyle, and he wants to make a World Team, he may have to make a decision on how he will accomplish that, especially you have Kyle saying he wants to wrestle until he's 36, or 37.

If Gadsen is okay with being the number 2 guy, then yeah be the number 2 guy at a weight that he is more comfortable with. My thought was that if he loses again to Kyle, and he wants to make a World Team, he may have to make a decision on how he will accomplish that, especially you have Kyle saying he wants to wrestle until he's 36, or 37.

I couldn't agree more. Ok with #2? Heck no. Gadsen didn't get a fluke pin against Cox in college like against Snyder. He beat him twice and controlled the matches. One is on youtube somewhere. Cox is very beatable. Snyder is not. Simple. Cut an extra 10. He is big but he could easily lose it. Or go heavyweight at about 230 but he would probably lose to Coon, Gwiz, Varner. So many more doors open if you are the #1 guy.

I couldn't agree more. Ok with #2? Heck no. Gadsen didn't get a fluke pin against Cox in college like against Snyder. He beat him twice and controlled the matches. One is on youtube somewhere. Cox is very beatable. Snyder is not. Simple. Cut an extra 10. He is big but he could easily lose it. Or go heavyweight at about 230 but he would probably lose to Coon, Gwiz, Varner. So many more doors open if you are the #1 guy.

Crazy we realize it here on the boards and he himself and his "team" don't. Hopefully he reads themat Forums 

I couldn't agree more. Ok with #2? Heck no. Gadsen didn't get a fluke pin against Cox in college like against Snyder. He beat him twice and controlled the matches. One is on youtube somewhere. Cox is very beatable. Snyder is not. Simple. Cut an extra 10. He is big but he could easily lose it. Or go heavyweight at about 230 but he would probably lose to Coon, Gwiz, Varner. So many more doors open if you are the #1 guy.

Please tell us the information you have to say with such certainty "he could easily use it". As the poster above eluded to, you must know more about his weight situation than he and his trainers do. We would love to be informed. Thank you.

Huge Snyder fan here but Gadsen's pin was not a fluke.  He hit him with a nice upper body technique. It was something he practiced and used perfectly when it mattered.  It was also his second win over Snyder that year.  Credit where due.  And obviously Snyder has gotten much better since that finals bout.  

I do not know the situation personally but all I know as a former wrestler you get once chance and one opportunity in life at times. He wrestled 197 and the weight is 203. Less than 1 percent of us have ever been in Gadsen's spot. How many people can move up or down a weight and make a world team? Taylor, Dake and I say maybe Gadsen. Just my opinion.

Huge Snyder fan here but Gadsen's pin was not a fluke.  He hit him with a nice upper body technique. It was something he practiced and used perfectly when it mattered.  It was also his second win over Snyder that year.  Credit where due.  And obviously Snyder has gotten much better since that finals bout.  

I misspoke sorry. It is just that Gadsen beat Cox twice while controlling the whole match is all I meant.

I do not know the situation personally but all I know as a former wrestler you get once chance and one opportunity in life at times. He wrestled 197 and the weight is 203. Less than 1 percent of us have ever been in Gadsen's spot. How many people can move up or down a weight and make a world team? Taylor, Dake and I say maybe Gadsen. Just my opinion.

As such your argument would hold a lot more water if you were able to concede to "if he were able to make it" instead of the certainty of "he could make easily". That's all I'm saying. And the point being that if he could, I'm sure he would in fact do that to get away from the three time world champ who has drummed him repeatedly since that NCAA match. Surely there's some part of you that will concede....maybe it's crossed the mind of he and his team?

I misspoke sorry. It is just that Gadsen beat Cox twice while controlling the whole match is all I meant.

And he beat Snyder twice while pinning him once.  College folkstyle matches with one guy being significantly older are not indicators of future freestyle results.  It's like you're using the worst possible version of A vs B vs C to determine the life path for a guy.

Gadsen has little chance at either weight.  He's years older and years more mature in his body, and not many guys drop weight as they age.  I'm sure it's harder than ever for him to make 97, and the last 10 lbs in any cut are the hardest.  He is enjoying national team benefits to aid his training at 97 kg, and atrophying muscle to get to 92 KG for 1 year of a non-olympic weight class is clearly not something he wants to do. 

Edited by boconnell

As such your argument would hold a lot more water if you were able to concede to "if he were able to make it" instead of the certainty of "he could make easily". That's all I'm saying. And the point being that if he could, I'm sure he would in fact do that to get away from the three time world champ who has drummed him repeatedly since that NCAA match. Surely there's some part of you that will concede....maybe it's crossed the mind of he and his team?

Sure I concede that it could be all about weight. 10 lbs to "me" seems very doable especially for upper weight guys. Gadsen matches up well with Cox I think. Dake ate crow and moved up. I do concede it can be harder to move down depending on his situation that I do not know about. I just think he could beat Cox. 

Sure I concede that it could be all about weight. 10 lbs to "me" seems very doable especially for upper weight guys. Gadsen matches up well with Cox I think. Dake ate crow and moved up. I do concede it can be harder to move down depending on his situation that I do not know about. I just think he could beat Cox.

Speaking with Gadson directly, 97 kg is a tough cut for him if he isn't on top of managing his weight properly. The ship has sailed on 92.

Speaking with Gadson directly, 97 kg is a tough cut for him if he isn't on top of managing his weight properly. The ship has sailed on 92.

Yes, he's a big dude. 

The he wrestled 197 a few years ago, is a very random argument based on where he is now.

Well I guess that blew up. Now that the whether or not he can get there argument is settled, should we get to the where is the results and track record that say he is a legit title or medal contender argument? Or just leave well enough alone?

Edited by Lurker

Well I guess that blew up. Now that the whether or not he can get there argument is settled, should we get to the where is the results and track record that say he is a legit title or medal contender argument? Or just leave well enough alone?

The track record is that as a senior he won college matches against freshmen who would become great.

Gadsen has only beaten Cox once ever (3-1 in SV if you consider that controlled) when Gadsen was a RSJr and J'den was a true freshman. Cox's other loss that year was to Phil Wellington.  They never faced each other again in college as Cox entered NCAAs undefeated as a sophmore and was beaten by Snyder and McIntosh.

I guess I was also surprised that Kyven didn't see an easier path at 92kg, but I'm pretty sure the premise that he beat Cox twice and controlled the matches is flawed.

Edited by XiXiTiger