• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

Angel signed on a very good middle weight man to coach.
  • stp likes this

#2 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

Hopefully will be able to work with Skatzka, arguably the only producer in last year's line-up.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#3 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

This move makes a ton of sense for IU.  I always felt Isaac was one of the most cerebral wrestlers in the country. Highly accomplished collegiate wrestler ☑ Strong ties to the general area (yes, western Ohio, but virtually all elite wrestlers in Indiana and Ohio are familiar with the Jordans and State Champ Camps) ☑ Strong potential as a recruiter, personable to both wrestlers and parents ☑ Still in his athletic prime, ability to train daily with middle to upper middle weights in the IU room ☑ Covers a different group than Escobedo specializes in ☑

I know a ton of people felt the Escobedo hire at IU was undeserved but I like what they're doing there. Anyone know whether Escobedo is eyeing someone for the Associate Head Coach role?  

• stp likes this

#4 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

Don’t know if he needs an associate head at this time. Not knowing the money constraint, maybe with a little success ,that will be a consideration. But man ,Angel needs these tough guys to harden iu’s Lineup. One more big man coach, and we will see some program progress. Brandon Wright is, hopefully going to stay.

Edited by southend, 23 May 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#5 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Who will OkState replace him with?

#6 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

Dusty Plotts dad

#7 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Well good for IU, hopefully they can get a few kids to AA, and generally improve their status.

#8 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

Well good for IU, hopefully they can get a few kids to AA, and generally improve their status.

In this era of IU wrestling program, they have to get the talent first, to be able to AA. But yes, anything is a blessing for the program. I don't think many people understand how hungry the wrestling community in Bloomington is. The program always has had the potential to be  top tier status. The campus, the schools athletic success in all sports makes it very desirable to in state athletes. So if Angel does good, look for the quick rise in talent and success. This will be a lot of work for an unproven coach, but this job comes with no pressure.  

#9 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

Indiana has emerged as one of the better states for prospects.  If IU can start keeping some home, the program will rise fast.

#10 cbg

cbg

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:35 AM

If I were IU I would discuss the position with Chad Red, Sr.

#11 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

If I were IU I would discuss the position with Chad Red, Sr.

I think 158 was talking about OSU staff replacement. But as far as Indiana, Red sr. , no thank you. Not a good fit.

Edited by southend, 24 May 2018 - 05:01 AM.

#12 KSchlosser

KSchlosser

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Haven't talked to him for a few years and don't know if he would leave the state of Ohio but I would like to see JD Bergman on a coaching staff somewhere. He wrestled under Russ Hellickson, Tom Ryan, Lou Rosselli, Brandon Slay, and Zeke Jones; in college was a three-time All-American, NCAA finalist, and wrestled 197, 211, and 285; I think he was a world team member twice and a national team member 4-5 times; he has extensive freestyle and a greco background, and he wrestled, trained with, and learned from a who is who of competitors over the last fifteen years. JD has ties to Escobedo as they both were with the Ohio RTC at the same time for a few years. JD has too much wrestling knowledge to not share at some level.

• southend and stp like this

#13 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:10 AM

Haven't talked to him for a few years and don't know if he would leave the state of Ohio but I would like to see JD Bergman on a coaching staff somewhere. He wrestled under Russ Hellickson, Tom Ryan, Lou Rosselli, Brandon Slay, and Zeke Jones; in college was a three-time All-American, NCAA finalist, and wrestled 197, 211, and 285; I think he was a world team member twice and a national team member 4-5 times; he has extensive freestyle and a greco background, and he wrestled, trained with, and learned from a who is who of competitors over the last fifteen years. JD has ties to Escobedo as they both were with the Ohio RTC at the same time for a few years. JD has too much wrestling knowledge to not share at some level

This would be a coup, if angel could get him. And AD has the money for the hire.

#14 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

Haven't talked to him for a few years and don't know if he would leave the state of Ohio but I would like to see JD Bergman on a coaching staff somewhere. He wrestled under Russ Hellickson, Tom Ryan, Lou Rosselli, Brandon Slay, and Zeke Jones; in college was a three-time All-American, NCAA finalist, and wrestled 197, 211, and 285; I think he was a world team member twice and a national team member 4-5 times; he has extensive freestyle and a greco background, and he wrestled, trained with, and learned from a who is who of competitors over the last fifteen years. JD has ties to Escobedo as they both were with the Ohio RTC at the same time for a few years. JD has too much wrestling knowledge to not share at some level.

That would be a great hire to help develop the room and also to bring in more Ohio recruits. Plus, he is one heck of a stand up guy from what I have heard and read about him.  He would be a great representative of the program off the mat as well.  However, the success of the Ohio RTC and its ability to pay well would be a hard to leave in order to take a chance at a yet unproven program.   If I recall correctly Bergman was very close with Humphrey, so that would of a tie to the state of Indiana. 

Bryce Hasseman would be an option for a upper weight coach who has an Indiana background.  But he's pretty established right now in growing North Carolina's program with Coleman Scott, so I doubt he can be lured back to the Hoosier State at this time.  Angel also likely has a few guys he knows form his years wrestling at the OTC, a few RTCs, and coaching at other program that could be good option.  But, at mentioned above is Indiana willing to shell out the money to get a solidly paid coach who we can count on to stick around awhile and develop the program.  In years past the IU coach staff has not been as well funded as even the mid-range Big10 wrestling programs, which they are thriving to catch up to.  

Edited by MadMardigain, 25 May 2018 - 01:16 AM.

#15 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:03 AM

However, the success of the Ohio RTC and its ability to pay well would be a hard to leave in order to take a chance at a yet unproven program. 

I'm pretty sure Bergman left the Ohio RTC before the 2016 Olympic Trials due to Synder being his main competition and in the same room. 

#16 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure Bergman left the Ohio RTC before the 2016 Olympic Trials due to Synder being his main competition and in the same room.

That maybe true I haven’t keeps tabs on him the last couple years, and it would make sense to at least take a break from being there if you are going to be in direct competition with an athlete training there. Is he living in Ohio and just temporarily going someplace prior to big competitions? Or is he living someplace else like Colorado Springs? If he moved out of the Midwest anopportunity in Indiana would bring him closer to home, especially if he’s thinking of finishing up his international wrestling career in the near future.

Edited by MadMardigain, 25 May 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#17 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

Don’t know if he needs an associate head at this time. Not knowing the money constraint, maybe with a little success ,that will be a consideration. But man ,Angel needs these tough guys to harden iu’s Lineup. One more big man coach, and we will see some program progress. Brandon Wright is, hopefully going to stay.

http://iuhoosiers.co...head-coach.aspx

Well, we have our answer.  Dixon is a smart hire IMO and brings some much needed recruiting and administrative experience to what would otherwise probably be the youngest staff in the country.  Things are looking up in Bloomington.

#18 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

I'm ok, After 100 or so back hand springs, its hard on an old mans arms. And I have to thank Fred Glass for the money. Looks like he is on board now with wrestling at Indiana.

Edited by southend, 06 June 2018 - 12:13 AM.

#19 teach

teach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:00 AM

Dixon should be a really good hire, I am very happy for him.  He can bring a lot and will have a chance to do things he wants to do.  It will be interesting to see how some of these other Big 10 teams progress now that they are getting serious about new coaches.

#20 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

Seems like lots of people who know coaching really like Dixon, I don't know much about him to be honest.  But it sure seems like a good get, Escobedo got himself a quality staff

Edited by Gantry, 06 June 2018 - 01:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users